U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 08:20 PM

42,369 posts, read 3,226,806 times

Advertisements

No way!! I only flush my own bodies waste & TP. I never bought into the advertising of "flushable wipes"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 08:38 PM

18,220 posts, read 23,535,186 times
No. I learned when I was a property manager that "flushable" wipes clogged plumbing.

I used to joke with the guy who snaked the plumbing about how it was a conspiracy by plumbers to get more work.

We added it to our contracts - no flushable wipes because they clog plumbing. And I got them to initial it. It cut down the problem by a lot. But, the whole advertising scheme is just really messed up. These are not flushable. Why not sell the same thing and say just throw it away?

Old 09-17-2019, 02:27 AM

23,630 posts, read 28,789,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Of course not...but if you are a woman, I would think you would understand how different the two can be, when removing them.
I am a woman.

Getting a bit of my own menstrual blood on my hand was no big deal. It washes off, just like blood from a cut or other injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I did at first, though never the cardboard tubes. Later on, ob made tubeless tampons that were supposedly flushable. Yeah, up to a point.

The thing that nobody has mentioned in this thread is that in the old days, toilet flushes used 15 gallons of water! Then the standard became half that, and later half that, and now half of THAT. There are even lower-volume flushers sold.

Basically, I consider a modern residential toilet to be a two-flush toilet for #2, and a single flusher for just pee. Some of the high-powered toilets in highway rest stops have become almost alarming, by contrast.
You can get "high-powered" ones for the home, too. We have one because DH kept clogging the one in the master bath installed in 1986.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:01 AM

10,046 posts, read 22,347,222 times
I always toss out anything remotely "flushable." Except for toilet paper. And then, toilet paper has to be flushed by itself, not with anything else. And it has to be the right size. Otherwise, toilet can overflow and get stopped up and I hate having to fix it each time. Someone can do a humongous poop in there and add toilet paper and it will always back up. So poop separate, flush, then tp, then flush. Or don't use my bathroom.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:23 AM

6,106 posts, read 5,033,664 times
Q-tips were a problem at the apartments I once worked at. The maintenance guy was always complaining about people who flush the Q-tips with plastic sticks. The get caught sideways in the plumbing and form a little grid on which TP, wipes, etc, would get lodged and block the whole drain.

Last edited by TheShadow; 09-17-2019 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: sp.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:57 AM

3,869 posts, read 2,294,012 times
I only use cleaning wipes, and yes I used to flush the ones in the bathroom until I read an article on how bad that is years ago (and I have cast iron pipes ) Now they go in the bathroom trash, which is lined with a plastic bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Wrap tampons up in TP if you don't like looking at them, same as you would do for sanitary pads. Then put them in the trash.

I used to frequently live in old houses with woodstoves. That works too.
So - when I was growing up, we had a dog. I started my cycle very young and it was quite mortifying for me because my family just didn't talk about anything. I used to wrap that pad so well so no one would know what it was and stuff it in the bottom of the pail. One night while the family was watching TV, guess what the dog brought in to chew?

(I had completely forgotten that happened until now - thanks for that lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Another waste material that causes clogs is dental floss.

I was surprised to hear that some people flush it rather than putting in the trash, but a plumber mentioned this as a lesser-known culprit.
Another thing I used to flush, simply because one of my cats loved string and would chew and swallow it. She's gone now, but I still won't put it in the trash without wrapping it well in TP. I also use those gum sticks and like them better than floss.

I've never flushed Q-tips

Old 09-17-2019, 08:51 AM

4,116 posts, read 2,865,886 times
OMG, don't flush anything except waste and TP! Never wipes or tampons or floss or a tiny paper towel!

I just spent $3000 to replace a lift pump that burned up because it got jammed up with wipes and feminine products. Wasn't me.

Had "black water" flood a home years ago because someone flushed a piece of paper towel that got caught on a root in the pipes leading out to the street.

Never believe that anything else is flushable. Just use the trash can. Even tampons, just wrap in tp and toss in the trash, not a big deal.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:13 PM

26,480 posts, read 33,513,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I always toss out anything remotely "flushable." Except for toilet paper. And then, toilet paper has to be flushed by itself, not with anything else. And it has to be the right size. Otherwise, toilet can overflow and get stopped up and I hate having to fix it each time. Someone can do a humongous poop in there and add toilet paper and it will always back up. So poop separate, flush, then tp, then flush. Or don't use my bathroom.
LOL. Sounds like you might need a new toilet!

Old 09-17-2019, 01:00 PM

108 posts, read 113,013 times
One repair bill will tell you to bag the wipes and other thick "paper," don't send it down the drain. I learned the hard way.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:11 PM

12,367 posts, read 10,695,958 times
I made the horrible decision of reading this thread while eating lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House