U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 02:50 PM

21,571 posts, read 12,209,377 times

Advertisements

I've never put food down the toilet. If have food that can't go down the disposal for some reason, it goes in the trash. If it's very liquidy, or for fats like what I skim off soup, etc., I freeze it in a plastic tub (from cottage cheese, etc) and then put it in the trash frozen so it doesn't make a mess. My trash has long since been picked up before it would melt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 03:08 PM

4,123 posts, read 2,156,075 times
I don't have a garbage disposal but do have city sewer. Occasionally the stray cat the I feed doesn't finish his canned cat food, so I flush the remains down the toilet. I figure that it has pretty much the same consistency as poop, so it doesn't make any difference to the pipes or the sewer system. Works so far!

Old 09-18-2019, 03:37 PM

5,358 posts, read 2,068,203 times
I would never flush food down the toilet.

Throw any juicy stuff out in the yard and put the rest in a bag in the garbage.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:17 PM

25,623 posts, read 24,516,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Can you use a colander and strain it over the sink? Let the liquid go down and dump the solids in the trash.
Same.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:18 PM

159 posts, read 35,170 times
I save all my jars and seal it up in one of these and dispose. Works very well for grease or thick liquids.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:58 PM

7,828 posts, read 3,196,606 times
We use ours sparingly. Garbage disposals are for incidental clearing, they're not meant to be trash cans.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:17 PM

18,188 posts, read 54,951,792 times
Living rural, much of the time I just toss food out for wildlife. With foxes, groundhogs, and other critters I'm not concerned about the rodents that can plague suburbia. Grease and oils get saved for use in starting brush piles burning. Brush is simply a fact of life in the rural southeast. Small amounts of food waste can be flushed in septic systems. Cellulose is not as easily broken down, so things like celery and such are better left out.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 PM

3,304 posts, read 4,557,524 times
My mother in law did this but I would never.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:56 PM

39,054 posts, read 56,926,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Can you use a colander and strain it over the sink? Let the liquid go down and dump the solids in the trash.
I do this ^^^ but I think it's OK to occasionally dump liquid food like soups or sauces. Dilute it with water as needed.
However - flushing it waste water.
Liquid fat should be collected in the jar and discarded with regular trash.

Consider keeping your leftovers in the refrigerator or freezer for later use; there are a million ways to repurpose leftovers.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:51 AM

831 posts, read 306,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Inspired by the "wipes" thread, I'm wondering about those of you without a garbage disposal.

I grew up with one, of course, but when we moved to the country and were on a septic, we quit using it except for very liquid stuff.

Down here, they don't exist and again, we are on septic that has to be pumped out 2x a year (condo).

So what do you do with your more liquid food waste? That's too much for the sink drain, like a soup or something. Grease goes in a jar for the trash, but non-grease waste.

Would you ever put it in the toilet? I mean, what's the difference from the "end" product?

PS: if you have a garbage disposal, I don't need to know about it, LOL. I know most do.

You do realize that what goes into the sink and what goes in the toilet end up in the same place.....? Unless you have separate sanitary drain and a graywater systems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House