U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

131 posts, read 26,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have read that forum for years. The ďprosĒ also say that entry level Carrier is the exact same unit as the others I mentioned, the parts are interchangeable.
Interchangeability of parts does not mean the same quality clearly may have been reading the forum but I donít think youíve been comprehending it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

15,326 posts, read 31,890,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
Interchangeability of parts does not mean the same quality clearly may have been reading the forum but I donít think youíve been comprehending it
I own houses with both Carrier and Payne. A/c techs have told me itís the exact same unit, just a different badge. Iím talking basic 14 and 15 seer units here, now if you go above that then yes, Carrier is different.

If you think a 14 seer Carrier is higher quality than a 14 seer Bryant or Payne, then I donít know what else to tell you.

Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM

90 posts, read 17,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If I were buying a brand new system I would expect the badges to match though, if for nothing else but aesthetics.
I agree with you and I think the brand should match each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Same manufacturer, different label. As long as they are compatible components, you are good to go. Issues can happen when you have different manufacturers in the same system.

I know things can happen in different manufacturers, but the brands should match. To me if they don't match, the company might be trying to rip you off. Am I correct?

Quote:
Rebadged? No, Payne and Bryant, while made by the same manufacturer are different levels of quality. So they are not rebadged, there are significant quality differences. Like you, I would expect a Trane OD unit to have a Trane or maybe a Lennox air handler not an American Standard. If you really want to ask this question go to www.hvac-talk.com and ask your question on the AOP Residential forum section. They have actual HVAC proís that answer your questions instead of arm chair experts.

I've never heard of Payne, but have heard of Bryant. Seems like there is quality differences if you match Trane with American Standard. There has to be some sort of difference inside with the parts, right? Thanks. I will check out that website.

Quote:
Chose your contractor first, make sure the equipment has an AHRI certificate number and then make sure you register the equipment upon installation to receive the full rather than a limited warranty.

I am getting numerous of estimates, so in other words it is an interview so I can decide which contractor to use. All the equipment has a 10 year warranty they told me and some have more of a warranty, like Goodman. And they also tell me that each condenser is tagged that is inspected by the state and included in the price is for a permit too.

Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

617 posts, read 715,260 times
Quote:
Rebadged? No, Payne and Bryant, while made by the same manufacturer are different levels of quality. So they are not rebadged, there are significant quality differences. Like you, I would expect a Trane OD unit to have a Trane or maybe a Lennox air handler not an American Standard. If you really want to ask this question go to www.hvac-talk.com and ask your question on the AOP Residential forum section. They have actual HVAC proís that answer your questions instead of arm chair experts.

You're wrong about carrier, bryant, and payne quality levels...more so regarding carrier and bryant. Both companies offer a variety of equivalent pieces of equipment in terms of design, features, components, and levels of quality. Bottom end carrier and bryant are equal to bottom end payne but priced slightly higher.

You are correct about suggesting hvactalk though (just don't go there with DIY questions). You'll get the right answers AND all the answers will be the same. Also, if you ask the wrong question, they can "manage" you like they do with customers on a daily basis. For example ~ the op wants to know if he/she needs wifi capability. If a person knows they aren't going to use it, don't buy features without benefits. Here you'll get end user opinions which are well meaning but usually of the non expert variety.

Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM

39,938 posts, read 48,491,419 times
OP here's your answer on what is the difference Trane vs American Standard...
https://www.americanweathermakers.co...ican-standard/

Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM

12,822 posts, read 49,644,092 times
Quote:
You clearly donít know what you are talking about so I suggest you go talk a look at HVAC specific forum - you might learn something.

After 35+years of building, remodeling, preservation, and restoration I've learned a thing or two. So...

My humble apologies for all your respectful comments, oh worshipful investor. Forgive me for not being most welcoming and subservient. I surely hope you have enjoyed your visit with us at the Kumbaya House Forum.
Peace be upon you. And we hope your ego recovers back to its normal size soon.

Old Today, 05:27 AM

7,813 posts, read 3,189,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
I don't understand why a Trane dealer would give me an estimate stating it is a Trane when I Googled it and it is an American Standard/American Star Series for the air handler and the condenser is a Trane? I am not hooked on Trane, just what I have now that needs replacing. And do I need to have an extra water safety switch? That is extra. I don't think I need a Wi-Fi connection but the one he is trying to sell me does. The other Trane estimates I got are a 16 Seer, and they don't have a Wi-Fi connection. Can someone please advise me. This is a big decision and I don't want to make a mistake on something major like I did in the past.
How many posts will you start on this topic? You're not accepting anyone's advice so far, so good luck.

Old Today, 12:30 PM

4,299 posts, read 21,037,025 times
Quote:
Very bad advice - what you should have said is as long as the HVAC contractor can provide an AHRI certification number for the air handler, evap and OD combination, you are good to go. Compatible doesnít mean certified and lack of AHRI certification voids the 10 year warranty most manufacturers offer.
Sorry I didn't use the proper wording. When I said compatable, I meant that every component would be certified to work with each other. I didn't consider this very bad advice. I assumed that a licensed, reputable HVAC contractor would know all of this, and only use components that had the proper certification.

Old Today, 02:12 PM

2,313 posts, read 1,930,944 times
Our American Standard system from 2006 has all original components still, including the evaporator which clearly says “Trane” on it.

Our 2000 York is a bit of a Frankenstein at the moment, and the evaporator was replaced in 2008 and it too clearly says Trane on it.

I’m going with Trane or American Standard next year to replace the York. Sooo many opinions on brands out there, and my education on the topic is not great, so I am defaulting to a life lesson I learned 20+ years ago when trying to buy stereo speakers. When with all sorts of fancy names and never could get it just how I liked it to sound. Friend of mine told me to just get Pioneer. I said I wanted something fancier that Pioneer. He enlightened me with a life lesson that held true ever since - “Dude, a million rednecks can’t be wrong.”
I bought the Pioneer, and we rocked out for nearly 10 years until lightening took out the rental house electronics.

Not saying Trane is redneck, but if a southerner tells me they’re great (and I’m a southerner too), then I’m good to go. “Dude, we sell a ton of these all over Atlanta.” SOLD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or