U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

90 posts, read 17,768 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why a Trane dealer would give me an estimate stating it is a Trane when I Googled it and it is an American Standard/American Star Series for the air handler and the condenser is a Trane? I am not hooked on Trane, just what I have now that needs replacing. And do I need to have an extra water safety switch? That is extra. I don't think I need a Wi-Fi connection but the one he is trying to sell me does. The other Trane estimates I got are a 16 Seer, and they don't have a Wi-Fi connection. Can someone please advise me. This is a big decision and I don't want to make a mistake on something major like I did in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

15,326 posts, read 31,890,031 times
American Standard is just rebadged Trane, it’s the same equipment. Just like Payne and Bryant are rebadged Carrier, Ducane is rebadged Lennox, Weatherking is rebadged Rheem, and so on....

If I were buying a brand new system I would expect the badges to match though, if for nothing else but aesthetics.

Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

4,299 posts, read 21,037,025 times
Same manufacturer, different label. As long as they are compatible components, you are good to go. Issues can happen when you have different manufacturers in the same system.

Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

131 posts, read 26,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
American Standard is just rebadged Trane, it’s the same equipment. Just like Payne and Bryant are rebadged Carrier, Ducane is rebadged Lennox, Weatherking is rebadged Rheem, and so on....

If I were buying a brand new system I would expect the badges to match though, if for nothing else but aesthetics.
Rebadged? No, Payne and Bryant, while made by the same manufacturer are different levels of quality. So they are not rebadged, there are significant quality differences. Like you, I would expect a Trane OD unit to have a Trane or maybe a Lennox air handler not an American Standard. If you really want to ask this question go to www.hvac-talk.com and ask your question on the AOP Residential forum section. They have actual HVAC pro’s that answer your questions instead of arm chair experts.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Same manufacturer, different label. As long as they are compatible components, you are good to go. Issues can happen when you have different manufacturers in the same system.
Very bad advice - what you should have said is as long as the HVAC contractor can provide an AHRI certification number for the air handler, evap and OD combination, you are good to go. Compatible doesn’t mean certified and lack of AHRI certification voids the 10 year warranty most manufacturers offer.

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
Rebadged? No, Payne and Bryant, while made by the same manufacturer are different levels of quality. So they are not rebadged, there are significant quality differences. Like you, I would expect a Trane OD unit to have a Trane or maybe a Lennox air handler not an American Standard. If you really want to ask this question go to www.hvac-talk.com and ask your question on the AOP Residential forum section. They have actual HVAC pro’s that answer your questions instead of arm chair experts.
Carrier has different levels, but yes, Payne and Bryant are exactly the same as entry level Carrier. Most ICP brands (Tempstar, GrandAire, Day & Night, Heil, etc.) are the same as well.

It would make more sense for a Trane condenser to be paired with an American Standard air handler than it would for it to be paired with a Lennox. Lennox is a totally different company.

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Carrier has different levels, but yes, Payne and Bryant are exactly the same as entry level Carrier. Most ICP brands (Tempstar, GrandAire, Day & Night, Heil, etc.) are the same as well.

If the consumer doesn’t know what they are looking for then yes they all appear to be the same quality. Take a look at www.hvac-talk.com and see what the pro’s say about the various brands.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

12,822 posts, read 49,644,092 times
Quote:
Very bad advice - what you should have said is as long as the HVAC contractor can provide an AHRI certification number for the air handler, evap and OD combination, you are good to go. Compatible doesn’t mean certified and lack of AHRI certification voids the 10 year warranty most manufacturers offer.

Do you really think the average consumer knows, or wants to know, anything about an "institute" that "advocates on behalf of its members at all levels of government"?

No!

Do businesses/contractors that do HVACR want "manufacturers" that stand behind their products? Yes! Why? Because they can pass that confidence (and whatever warranty- however limited it may be) to their customer.

As has been mentioned previously and many other times in other similar threads, having a good well executed install is really more important than a badge with a registered trademark name on it (except for maybe one or two).

How many more times are you going to advocate another forum on this forum???

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Do you really think the average consumer knows, or wants to know, anything about an "institute" that "advocates on behalf of its members at all levels of government"?

No!

Do businesses/contractors that do HVACR want "manufacturers" that stand behind their products? Yes! Why? Because they can pass that confidence (and whatever warranty- however limited it may be) to their customer.

As has been mentioned previously and many other times in other similar threads, having a good well executed install is really more important than a badge with a registered trademark name on it (except for maybe one or two).

How many more times are you going to advocate another forum on this forum???
Yes, informed HVAC consumers do want an AHRI certification for the equipment combination they are buying. Why you ask? Well, for starters, without an AHRI certification, there is no guarantee you will receive the expected performance from the system. Next up - to get rebates from most if not all utility companies on new installs, you must present an AHRI certificate for your installation. Third - most HVAC manufacturers won’t warranty installations that are not matched and the only way to prove matched equipment is with an AHRI number for the combination.

Chose your contractor first, make sure the equipment has an AHRI certificate number and then make sure you register the equipment upon installation to receive the full rather than a limited warranty.

As for advocating for another forum, if that forum provides specialized knowledge from experts in a field, then by all means I will. You clearly don’t know what you are talking about so I suggest you go talk a look at HVAC specific forum - you might learn something.

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Quote:
If the consumer doesn’t know what they are looking for then yes they all appear to be the same quality. Take a look at www.hvac-talk.com and see what the pro’s say about the various brands.
I have read that forum for years. The “pros” also say that entry level Carrier is the exact same unit as the others I mentioned, the parts are interchangeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or