U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 07:26 AM

4,365 posts, read 1,880,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
You have listed lots of excuses why you can't do it. Why not put the same effort in figuring out how it can be done. If you don't have room to move the furniture from one room to another, it sounds like there is too much stuff, or the house is incredibly small. If its that small, the painting and flooring should go fast. If its "too much stuff", this sounds like an opportunity to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Sounds like a depressing life for your Dad. I'm sorry his life has turned that way.

Obviously, I have no idea of what the situation looks like, or what you are dealing with. Maybe your sister has a plan on how she thinks it can be done. Why not let her run with it and get it done for your Dad?
Even in situations where it isnít possible to move furniture to another room, it is typically possible to place it outside while the flooring is happening. That is what they did when they redid the floors in my townhouse, since they werenít about to take all of the furniture upstairs when they ripped out the old flooring. It was not a large area and took two days to rip out/put in new wood. For carpet I would imagine it would take much less time since carpet isnít glued to a slab. As long as it isnít raining/snowing, the furniture should be able to sit outside long enough for this to occur. In my case, I had a covered porch and lived in FL, so they definitely had to keep the possibility of rain in mind. I assume the OPís dad has a backyard of some sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 07:50 AM

831 posts, read 309,051 times
Ah, you naysayers... Saturday morning. The weekly bluegrass music is on from 9 til noon. While I was bringing my significant other to work and dog food run, my two sisters showed up with my brother in law..... to paint the living room..... with my dad sitting there.... nothing but a pedestal lamp has been removed from the room.... they are going to try to paint around my dad....

F'd up

My family is nuts

Good thing one sister OD'd and her ashes are buried or she'd be part of it too no doubt.

My dad isn't giving up his weekly bluegrass, while watching tv

Old 09-21-2019, 08:18 AM

1,610 posts, read 598,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
You got that right. My dad likes diet Pepsi in 12 ounce bottles. Not 12 ounce cans, not 16 ounce bottles, not diet Coke......diet Pepsi....in 12 ounce bottles. Pretty much the most expensive way to buy it.

She just passed a few months ago and a contractor bought and is renovating a neighbor's house. I had to go there and reprogram her TV remote. It was like walking into a museum. 40yd dumpster was filled to the top with no construction debris....
Thatís a funny story about your dad wanting his Pepsi just the way he wants it. Itís hard to change peopleís way of thinking once they reach a certain age.

Your neighbors house sounds like my in-laws house. People from the depression era never threw anything away. Everything from decades old Christmas cards to magazines, old toasters and school projects from the kids, my in-laws had it stacked in boxes, in the garage and closets.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:24 AM

Picture at best, a 12x14 room with 310 pound guy sitting in a lift chair/recliner trying to watch tv and listen to his Saturday bluegrass music with the furniture pushed 2ft from the wall, and someone trying to paint the ceiling over him.... I brought my SO to work and this is what I came home to. Knew nothing about it

Old 09-21-2019, 09:02 AM

620 posts, read 877,445 times
Since you did post this in House not relationships I will only consider the house problem.
If the house needs mold remediation Do that immediately.
If the house has a wiring issue fix the problems

Does he need a bathroom remodel to make it safer for him?
Some carpets are hard to move a walker around. And just the change in textures may upset the equalibrium of someone with balance problems. That being said, if you do the floors, do a cushioned vinyl all through the house.
https://www.armstrongflooring.com/re...ategory=Copper

Old 09-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Location: Its easy to be a perfectionist when someone else is doing all the work.
2,238 posts, read 5,502,409 times
Quote:
Picture at best, a 12x14 room with 310 pound guy sitting in a lift chair/recliner trying to watch tv and listen to his Saturday bluegrass music with the furniture pushed 2ft from the wall, and someone trying to paint the ceiling over him.... I brought my SO to work and this is what I came home to. Knew nothing about it

Sounds like they have a plan and are making it happen. Dad seems okay with it. He has a house full of company. Hes watching TV and listening to his music. And when all is said and done a much cheerier living room.

As for carpet I would like to suggest commercial carpet tiles. They can move a bit of furniture and remove the old carpet in that section. Then put down tiles and move the furniture back. Nice thing about tiles is that if there are accidents you can take up a tile and wash it off. Or if its really bad replace the tile with an extra one. Or swap it with one from under the sofa etc. Also old people do better with stiffer carpet like Berber. Carpet with padding makes their walkers sink in. That's why most NH have Berber or carpet tiles.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:11 AM

House requires a complete gut and remodel. Including mold remediation in the basement. Dad won't/ can't pay for that and in it's condition the house won't qualify for a mortgage. So as part of mold remediation the carpet and hardwood floors underneath probably need to be removed from the entire house. House has a 100 amp 2 wire service with #14 wire. Have to tear out the gyp board to upgrade. My sister doesn't think of this.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:24 AM

13,582 posts, read 18,139,575 times
Quote:
House requires a complete gut and remodel. Including mold remediation in the basement. Dad won't/ can't pay for that and in it's condition the house won't qualify for a mortgage. So as part of mold remediation the carpet and hardwood floors underneath probably need to be removed from the entire house. House has a 100 amp 2 wire service with #14 wire. Have to tear out the gyp board to upgrade. My sister doesn't think of this.
And why does all of this bother you now?

Old 09-21-2019, 09:37 AM

Well, at 89, my dad is the oldest surviving brother. Of 4 of the others, I think one went to 82, 2 in their 70s 1 in his 60's. How he got to 89 drinking 3 liters of vodka per week, a 30 pack of Busch beer, and 40 cigars per week, and a ****ty diet is beyond me. And this isn't the first go-round. Sister has been wanting to do this for at least 6 years.

I think it's too disruptive to my dad, and a waste of his money

Old 09-21-2019, 10:16 AM

4,301 posts, read 21,052,000 times
Sounds like you don't have to get your hands dirty, or get paint on your clothes! Thats a win in anyones book. Let you sister do her thing.

I had a slightly similar thing with my sister and BIL when they wanted to give my Mother an email account and computer (she had never had either). I finally told them they could do anything they wanted, but ALL of the technical support and help was coming to them. In less than a month, all my Mom wanted was a typewriter to write to her friends.

I learned long ago that if my sister wanted to do something, and I didn't have to get involved, I let her do it. Same goes for the stuff I wanted to do for my Mom. My sister let me do my thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or