Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 10:22 AM

551 posts, read 1,187,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Well, at 89, my dad is the oldest surviving brother. Of 4 of the others, I think one went to 82, 2 in their 70s 1 in his 60's. How he got to 89 drinking 3 liters of vodka per week, a 30 pack of Busch beer, and 40 cigars per week, and a ****ty diet is beyond me. And this isn't the first go-round. Sister has been wanting to do this for at least 6 years.

I think it's too disruptive to my dad, and a waste of his money
I am sorry but it seems like you are cool with your dad just rotting away in wasteland while your siblings and their family members are at least putting in cosmetic changes to try to make it habitable. When your dad is on a morphine drip, the cleaner surroundings would still aide in his comfort. Its not a waste of money either, because that flipper you want to sell to, would give you more $$ now with however much you fix before. I see it as a win/win
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 10:30 AM

937 posts, read 743,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Its not a waste of money either, because that flipper you want to sell to, would give you more $$ now with however much you fix before.
Not necessarily if there is extensive mold in the sub flooring and walls. The new carpet will have to go in order to fix that. If the place is in serious disrepair with structural, electrical, mold issues, that new carpet and paint will mean nothing to potential buyers.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:07 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Not necessarily if there is extensive mold in the sub flooring and walls. The new carpet will have to go in order to fix that. If the place is in serious disrepair with structural, electrical, mold issues, that new carpet and paint will mean nothing to potential buyers.
Agreed, seems like a waste of money. With the mold problem, it would be safer to take care of that problem now. Any cosmetic changes that would come with cleaning up the mold, could then be done and the house would be safer to breathe and look nicer. Mold grows, doesn’t it?

Old 09-21-2019, 11:10 AM

937 posts, read 743,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Agreed, seems like a waste of money. With the mold problem, it would be safer to take care of that problem now. Any cosmetic changes that would come with cleaning up the mold, could then be done and the house would be safer to breathe and look nicer. Mold grows, doesn’t it?
That is a very good idea. I wonder how this mold has affected poor dad over the years. Long term exposure is not good at all. Insurance could potentially cover the remediation.

Yes mold grows. It's got to be nipped in the bud or you can have a terrible problem on your hands.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:43 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
I think he is only agreeing just to shut my sister up. I tried to tell him the timeline and left it up to him. And deer season opened her Wednesday and I'm sure my other sister's husband is planning on hunting every Saturday, and my hunting starts October 12 until the end of January on Saturdays. Again, my sister doesn't take these things into account.
I guess you've decided that hunting is more important than your dad, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
But the truth is that he is probably very lonely and depressed, can't take care of himself and his only friend is tv. A little attention, fresh paint, new floors, house cleanup and a bit of company would make his day.
If your sister wants to do, let her do it. Give her a helping hand instead of
whining heartlessly.
It's for your dad. He won't be living forever...
Amen.

Quote:
Apparently it's not too disruptive to your dad, since he's listening to his music while the work goes on around him. Maybe he enjoys the company, too.

What a heartless, ungrateful post. Improving your loved one's surroundings is never a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Methinks the OP is exaggerating. The "mold" in the basement might be just on the cement walls and floor, in which case "remediation" is a bucket of bleach and a scrub brush.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:06 PM

61,642 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
House requires a complete gut and remodel. Including mold remediation in the basement. Dad won't/ can't pay for that and in it's condition the house won't qualify for a mortgage. So as part of mold remediation the carpet and hardwood floors underneath probably need to be removed from the entire house. House has a 100 amp 2 wire service with #14 wire. Have to tear out the gyp board to upgrade. My sister doesn't think of this.
Aren't you living in this "dump" with your father together?
As a knowable contractor why didn't you do anything about that before this place became mold ridden and basically uninhabitable?
Aren't you at health risk? Are you ok with this living situation?

Quote:
I think that since your dad is chair ridden and depends on your care, YOU manage his money and don't want to spend it on necessities that would improve his life.
Are you not living in his house and off his money?
On other thread you said that you're unemployed...

Last edited by elnina; 09-21-2019 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 02:40 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Actually my dead of an overdose addict sister chose the mustard color. But doesn't help now. My mom chose the carpet color back in the 70's.
wow that carpet does need to be replaced.

Just let her do it. It will work out and she will see that it will take longer than she thinks.

But then i've seen workers around here put a new roof on in less than two days.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:08 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Are you paying rent while you live with Dad? It almost seems that you don't want him to spend any money on the house, so you will have more to inherit. If the rest of the family are willing & able to help Dad out, I think that is great. I would have been ashamed to let either of my parents live in a moldy house.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:44 PM

351 posts, read 270,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
You haven't helped your father update his house in the past 30 years? Not even painting his house? I feel sad for your father. All these years he could have had nicer surroundings. Your Dad may say he doesn't care, probably to please you, but no one wants to leave in dismal housing. He just can't do it or arrange to have it done all by himself. Help him to enjoy the time he has left.
I agree, that house sounds like it's in a really rough and disgusting condition. I always wondered about the people who live in outdated houses and I could never imagine living in a home in such disrepair. Also, if his father passes away in the near future atleast the house will be ready for resale. If I were them I would get it fixed little by little now so it will be easier and less work down the road, and they can potentially get top dollar if the home was actually updated and well maintained. But for now a fresh coat of paint and new carpet goes a long way and would definitely be an improvement. I feel bad of the lack of care they showed towards their father's living conditions after all those years.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:17 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I think JimG2 is a guy who comes up with lots of reasons "why not" who has at least a few family members who live life and try to get things done in spite of him.

And it makes him nuts.

I remember the business about the stepson buying a house last year, despite Jim's reasons why not.

I am glad Dad's space is getting a good cleaning and facelift. I am guessing it really needs it. I think even the interruption of his TV is probably good for him and he may enjoy the change of company and scenery. I think there has been plenty of time for TV already, and he'll be back to it in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House