U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

15,331 posts, read 31,896,890 times

Advertisements

I have had these for about 5 years now and they work great.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/InvisaFl...0-25/205207107

They only thing that gets stuck in them is the leaf rachis from my pecan trees, but not all trees have those. I have mine tilted up at a slight angle so that any leaves that fall on top will eventually roll off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

669 posts, read 286,658 times
We just had gutters installed and the guy convinced me to install the leaf guards. They clog in one spot where we have pines. I still like them better than not because I really only have that one spot to worry about and it’s not too bad to remove a couple pieces. I will say that I was not happy when I noticed that spot was clogged about a month after they were installed.

There is another system that covers the whole gutter completely. It’s a lot of hardware and it costs a ton of money, but word is it works. I didn’t want to spend over ten grand just for this system.

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM

11,514 posts, read 20,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have had these for about 5 years now and they work great.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/InvisaFl...0-25/205207107

They only thing that gets stuck in them is the leaf rachis from my pecan trees, but not all trees have those. I have mine tilted up at a slight angle so that any leaves that fall on top will eventually roll off.
I doubt that mine were from this particular source but I have the what I call chicken-wire guards - and for the areas I can reach I use a broom to remove the leaves. I don't want to jinx myself but so far so good - after prob. 10 yrs. I did have a gutter company come out and clean them (figured it was time, LOL)

Old Today, 12:54 AM

9,276 posts, read 3,141,058 times
I have a big Douglas fir over one side of my house and a cherry tree on the other side. I just spent about two hours sweeping all the tree debris off the roof and half an hour cleaning out the rain gutters by hand. Some years, I use an electric leaf blower on an extension cord and it goes more quickly. That's not much work and I usually have to do just one major cleaning a year and a couple quick ones in between, to clear the needles away and out of the valleys. Putting gutter guards on the roof would be a waste of money and probably cause me more work.

Old Today, 03:42 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,722,155 times
We have the mesh type covers and they have been wonderful. I haven't cleaned the gutters for years. When we had the gutters installed, they put on a larger type gutter and they have worked extremely well. We no longer have any pine trees as they were all killed by the pine bark beetle blight. Lost maybe ten pine trees.

Old Today, 06:54 AM

910 posts, read 249,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We had them and removed them .....the fine debris got in and clogged things anyway...removing the screens was an added chore
Second that- the same here.
We removed ours.
The wind action and sun are needed to dry out and “disinfect” the gutters and blow out the finest debris- unfortunately I realized that after we tried the guards and did not like the result.
If you have an asphalt shingles roof- the fiberglass granules could be accumulating- metal roofs are better for having gutter guards.
If your gutters are not perfectly installed or developed a slight sag due to the age- that spot may stay moist and start growing some bacterial/ mold life, etc
Metal guards will rust eventually, the plastic- would deteriorate...from the UV eventually...

Maybe some happy campers here are in different climates? Works for them?
One more time I realized that there are no miracle remedies... just another way to make you part with your money! In hopes that a different brand is “ it”!
Gutter cleaning extension tool is a good way to clean and not go on a ladder- checking your gutters once or twice a year is a good homeowners routine to exercise checking for potential problems vs “ set it and forget it” mantra. No such thing.

Last edited by Nik4me; Today at 07:08 AM..

Old Today, 07:21 AM

29,136 posts, read 63,327,019 times
I (re) consider these every year about this time.
So far I'm content with doing a twice per year backpack blower blow out.
One in Sept (last week) to clear the years accumulation..
and then another in December after all the trees have done their duty.

But if I were to go this route I suspect I'd go with the foam filters.
They're cheap enough to just replace the ones at the worst ends after a few seasons.
I could do the whole house for the cheap money I pay to get the blower guy up there (~$20 x2).

Old Today, 08:00 AM

645 posts, read 1,017,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I did as if the "surface tension" type worked and was told, flat out, that they only work with light water volumes and are easily overwhelmed.
I see commercials for these all the time. They never show it in actual operation, only cgi simulations. I've even looked online to try to find a video of it but all I get are a brief second of it. That shows how much confidence they have in them actually working.

Old Today, 11:02 AM

20,636 posts, read 11,506,919 times
I use a mesh type guard, and I love it. We have some very old oak trees that drop leaves even during the summer with a rain or heavy wind (too old to have a tight grip on them, I guess). They make cleaning the gutters a two- or three-times a year job.

What's worse is that leaves in the gutters pool water, and then become luxury spas for mosquitoes.

Putting in a window-screen mesh gutter guard keeps the leaves out and also keeps out mosquitoes. Our mosquito problem is only a fraction of what it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or