U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

5,187 posts, read 5,539,682 times

Advertisements

We are having our roof replaced next month, and we are considering adding guards to our gutters while the crew is up there.

One of my concerns is that when there is a downpour, the amount and force of the water will slice across the guard instead of going into the holes creating a "waterfall" effect on the front and back sides of my house. Our contractor assured me that these have been put to the test, and that won't happen during a downpour - but I also know, he's a businessman and ultimately trying to make a sale.

The brand is Home - Bulldog Gutter Guard and reviewing the FAQs they do claim that they can handle up to 14 inches of rain an hour. They also come with a (IMO) nice warranty.

For those that have or are familiar with gutter guards, what are some of the cons should I be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM

39,020 posts, read 56,911,778 times
I think they will clog really easily and require regular cleaning. Micromesh might be a better choice.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Raptor-Gutter.../dp/B07H4TLQ86
Plus 25 years warranty on the product.

https://www.topgutterguard.com/best-...uards-reviews/
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

4,299 posts, read 21,040,608 times
As a home inspector, I have inspected hundreds of homes with gutter guards. I can't really comment on how they perform during a downpour, because if it was raining hard during an inspection, I tried to stay out of it.
What I can tell you is I have seen lots of gutters with gutter guards clogged up because the fine debris falls thru the holes and for whatever reason, did not flow out. Might have been the installation, I just don't know. I know that I had seen plants growing out of the little holes in the guards on some.

Leaf debris can also get stuck behind the guards and not flow off the roof.

I guess it all depends on the design and the installation.

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

4,498 posts, read 7,409,729 times
There is a HUGE difference between gutter guards. May last home I was steered towards what the gutter guy suggested and ran on his own personal gutters. The didn't clog except in the inside-corners, where mesh was required to handle the flow. Even with inch-per-hour rains and a BIG roof surface, I never saw any overflow with gutter-guards where I had with the prior gutters without guards ~ leads me to think that gutter install is more of the story than the guards. End result was a once-a-year trip up the ladder into the corners to fish out the stuck items. Gutters themselves only ever showed the grains from the shingles that were collecting after 5 years.

My current place has "mesh" guards and they trap every last leaf and pine bow that falls on the roof. Endless maintenance. It's about the polar opposite experience.

I did as if the "surface tension" type worked and was told, flat out, that they only work with light water volumes and are easily overwhelmed.

Wish I could tell you a brand, or photos or Something to indicate what they were, but I don't. What you linked looks very similar though, and nothing "got stuck" in them.

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

2,220 posts, read 663,991 times
Gutter guards, even cheap ones are miles better than no gutter guards when it comes to leaves and debris clogging up the downspouts. It's worth it for sure.

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

73,473 posts, read 73,272,407 times
We had them and removed them .....the fine debris got in and clogged things anyway...removing the screens was an added chore

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

44 posts, read 32,125 times
I installed gutter glove by gutter guard early this spring and so far have had no problem during a hard rain.They are super easy to install(of course I have a ranch)and it seems that even the shingle granules can not get into the gutters. we will see how they do after the fall.

Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM

5,187 posts, read 5,539,682 times
I appreciate all the replies. These are certainly points for us to consider.

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 24,508,776 times
If you have maple or pine trees, nothing works. When we were considering them, I read reviews for months and learned that they all had flaws. There were no clear winners.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

4,269 posts, read 1,719,431 times
"One of my concerns is that when there is a downpour..."
no guards will handle the downpours we get from hurricanes.
even clean gutters with no guards cannot handle that much.

we got the mesh-style guard.
yes, things get stuck in the mesh, but they dry out and disintegrate.
it is not a perfect system. i still get up on the roof to inspect and clean.
however...the good news...i think i have convinced my wife that using
a drone instead of a ladder is a better solution to check our roof.
a drone for Christmas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or