U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 12:47 PM

9,894 posts, read 6,522,525 times

Advertisements

Too damn OCD for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 12:51 PM

39,123 posts, read 57,032,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I admit I'm guilty of being the person who buys food, lets it go bad, then had to throw away. Nearly always, it's produce or fruit. Especially salad greens and vegetables.

I just read this and I'm curious what y'all think about it.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ref...waste-36616626
Hope you know what fruit/vegetables do NOT belong into fridge.
Lots could be saved when properly stored.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:06 PM

42,639 posts, read 3,263,072 times
I do try & keep my spinach & lettuce in the fridge door, for easy access. We eat some every day so it's handier to reach than pulling out the crisper drawer.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:18 PM

22,897 posts, read 14,982,055 times
I bought some neat organizing containers for fresh veggies, and they have made my cooking life simpler.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:55 PM

8,565 posts, read 11,346,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
good grief! We all know this. It's just that sometimes that head of lettuce or cucumber is buried in the vegetable drawer and we forget it's there. Especially if you're single and have to buy pre-determined amounts. My single friends and i joke about our fridges being the place we store things to keep them cold until we have to throw them out.

Lighten up. We aren't all so organized that we clean out every week or eat everything in the fridge. It's very much a first world problem. I count myself lucky and privileged.
what they said^^^^^^^

Old 09-20-2019, 02:06 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,684,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Are our lives now being dictated by hacks? What happened to a shopping list, cleaning the fridge out every week and eating what is in the fridge before it dies of old age? I do not need some blogger to tell me that salad goes bad before mustard.

Yay for you!

Old 09-20-2019, 05:18 PM

4,363 posts, read 1,754,358 times
"..I'm curious what y'all think about it."

1. great idea if only one person is accessing the refrigerator on a consistent basis.
2. good idea if only two people ever open the refrigerator.
3. bad idea with children/teens/or elderly in the house.
(the children just scattered the contents, and my FIL rearranged it twice a week)

Old 09-20-2019, 06:33 PM

15,697 posts, read 18,077,475 times
My hack is to put empty shoe boxes in the back of the fridge so everything is front and center. Nothing can hide.

Now, this does mean I have less fridge space which seems like a problem, but this is actually another hack: I have no space to put new food until what I have is gone, so I end up eating my food much fresher, nothing sits for too long and I have to carefully calculate what amounts of food I buy to reduce the amount of leftovers, much of which I used to end up tossing anyway.

Now, I do have to shop more often, 2-4 times a week, but my shopping trips are pretty quick since I am buying no more than 1-3 days worth of meat and vegetables at a time. This might be more difficult for people who live further from the store or whose schedules put them at the store at rush hour. I am fortunate enough to live a five minute walk away from the store so it is always 'on the way home' or if I need a single ingredient, I can walk to the store, pick up the item, and be back home in about 12 minutes.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:40 AM

39,123 posts, read 57,032,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My hack is to put empty shoe boxes in the back of the fridge so everything is front and center. Nothing can hide.
My hack is to have smaller fridge and buy more often but less food at once. I noticed that people buy a shopping cart full of food that supposed to last weeks. They eat OLD food or discard it because it tastes nasty, or get bad before they can eat it all.
A better food planning usually resolves food waste.

Also, don't stuff the fridge with food that doesn't belong there, just because you want clean kitchen counters...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:09 AM

5,805 posts, read 3,079,762 times
It helps any size fridge or household to store amounts that don’t completely fill the fridge. Makes seeing things easier and therefore less likely to spoil.

“Out of sight, out of mind” is not good for food storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or