U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 10:58 AM

15,288 posts, read 19,442,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I think it flies in the face of a hundred years of refrigerator technology evolution. She puts the lettuce on an open shelf so she can see it go bad much quicker than if it was in the crisper which is designed to keep it fresh longer. Cheese is also on an open shelf so it can spread its odors to everything else and absorb odors from everything else rather than be isolated in the section designed to prevent that.

I could go on, but you get the idea.
THAT'S a terrific AND sensible response. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 11:48 AM

16,272 posts, read 13,960,840 times
I think her issue is she only goes grocery shopping once a week or ever two weeks. I can see it if you live in the middle of no where, but in any thing approaching an urban setting, it is better to go more often so you are not risking your consumables being spoiled. I am in the grocery store about 3-4 times a week.

As another poster mentioned, her "hacks" are counterproductive.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:24 PM

23,194 posts, read 29,646,309 times
That's actually pretty clever.

I don't have a problem with wasting food because anything that goes into my shopping cart, I know exactly what I am going to do with it. Usage is planned.

However, I do something similar in the freezer inside my house. The small items that might get buried are stored in the door where I can see them every time I open the door.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:39 PM

2,645 posts, read 1,181,840 times
My "hack" (I hate that word too) is to use the crisper drawers for long term storage (chocolate chips, nuts, juice boxes) and keep all the produce front and center on the middle shelf. Top shelf is too close to the freezer and things can get frozen there, so I keep cheese up there. I can see all my fresh things every time I open it and know what to use up when planning a meal.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:25 PM

39,123 posts, read 57,032,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I admit I'm guilty of being the person who buys food, lets it go bad, then had to throw away. Nearly always, it's produce or fruit. Especially salad greens and vegetables.

I just read this and I'm curious what y'all think about it.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ref...waste-36616626
I just had a chance to look at this link and right away saw something not right.
She says that she puts the MOST perishable food on the shelves, on the refrigerator door.
WRONG!

The door is the warmest area of the fridge as room-temperature air gushes in every time the door is opened. One should put LEAST perishable items on the door, like ketchup, mustard, soy sauce and other condiments with longer shelf lives.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:16 PM

39,123 posts, read 57,032,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Another thing that helps cut down on inadvertent refrigerator science projects is to date your leftovers. I keep painter's masking tape and a sharpie handy.
I don't mark leftovers. It's not really hard to remember how old they are.
I don't even mark stuff in the freezer. <<< I guess, frozen stuff has such long life, I don't see the need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I buy produce as needed most of the time. It does require some quick trips to the store though. Even when I know it's there, I still wind up throwing out some rotten peaches or something once in a while.
That's why I said - it's good to know what produce shouldn't be stored in the fridge. It goes bad much faster there. Certain types of fruits and vegetables give off high amounts of ethylene gas, which can cause other items to spoil or ripen too quickly.

Other food just simply doesn't need to be refrigerated, but most people stuff there everything, making their fridges full of junk, nearly empty jars, unopened cans, long forgotten condiments and stuff that began their own life there.
Instead of finishing whatever is in the fridge they add new, fresh stuff and push the older to the back.

Avocado, apples, bananas, citrus fruits, berries, peaches, apricots, and nectarines should be stored out of the fridge. Refrigerating these fruits will result in loss of flavors and textures. However, you can refrigerate these fruits for 30 minutes prior to eating if you want a crisp bite.

https://www.lovefood.com/gallerylist...-in-the-fridge

Overstuffed fridges lack the right air circulation and don't chill their food adequately anymore.
Those who have built in thermometers at least can visualize the changes (or their compressors work much harder to keep constant temps), but those without thermometers would probably wonder how warm is there.
That's also why the food is getting bad in the fridge.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:57 PM

7,263 posts, read 4,002,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I admit I'm guilty of being the person who buys food, lets it go bad, then had to throw away. Nearly always, it's produce or fruit. Especially salad greens and vegetables.

I just read this and I'm curious what y'all think about it.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ref...waste-36616626
I don't need it. But that's just me. I have an organization in my fridge that works for me.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:13 PM

4,502 posts, read 7,431,170 times
Holy moly, even when I lived 1 block from a big, nice, grocery store (where I did all my shopping), I never went more than once a week. Food just doesn't go off in that short of time if you store it properly. Maybe something's wrong with me, but I absolutely despise shopping. The worst thing a store can do is to change their layout, last time that happened, I changed stores (hey, if I have to learn a new layout, might as well go somewhere where I get more out of it). The reason is because I type my shopping list by isle/item location to facilitate a speedy shopping process... because I *hate* shopping.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:27 PM

7,354 posts, read 4,059,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Holy moly, even when I lived 1 block from a big, nice, grocery store (where I did all my shopping), I never went more than once a week. Food just doesn't go off in that short of time if you store it properly. Maybe something's wrong with me, but I absolutely despise shopping. The worst thing a store can do is to change their layout, last time that happened, I changed stores (hey, if I have to learn a new layout, might as well go somewhere where I get more out of it). The reason is because I type my shopping list by isle/item location to facilitate a speedy shopping process... because I *hate* shopping.
Shopping is something I'm pretty ambivalent about but if I got to the point where I was typing an aisle by aisle shopping list, I think I would hate it too.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:18 PM

16,272 posts, read 13,960,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I am a big veggie/salad and berry eater. But with that, i hate them if they are not very fresh, so I hit up the store a few times a week, but I live right around the corner from a grocery store.

My canned goods, other bulk products, probably stock up once a week, every two weeks or so, depending on sales. Same with meats, if there is a sale will stock up, if not, buy a week's worth or so.

Then there is the "I am in the mood for something I do not have", then off to the grocery store, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or