Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 01:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
My hack is to have smaller fridge and buy more often but less food at once. I noticed that people buy a shopping cart full of food that supposed to last weeks. They eat OLD food or discard it because it tastes nasty, or get bad before they can eat it all.
A better food planning usually resolves food waste.

Also, don't stuff the fridge with food that doesn't belong there, just because you want clean kitchen counters...
Hmm. Most people don’t shop weekly? I suppose if you receive a monthly stipend for income, you might buy staples then, to last a month. But I’ve always shopped weekly, even now that our income comes monthly. And in the warmer months I hit two stores and one famers’ market almost every week. I suppose I am not typical in that, but surely most of us shop once a week.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 05:05 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"Someone correct me if I am wrong."

i do not shop weekly.
i shop strongly.

it is Saturday Night.
that is all i have.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
My hack is to have smaller fridge and buy more often but less food at once. I noticed that people buy a shopping cart full of food that supposed to last weeks. They eat OLD food or discard it because it tastes nasty, or get bad before they can eat it all.
A better food planning usually resolves food waste.

Also, don't stuff the fridge with food that doesn't belong there, just because you want clean kitchen counters...
I totally agree. If you keep your refrigerator stuffed, things are more likely to be overlooked. AND, shopping from a list helps prevent overbuying.

As for the OP's idea, I think it's a fine one. But it's not the only way to organize a fridge. If you have trouble keeping up with things, go ahead and try it. It's your refrigerator, organize it however you want.

Another thing that helps cut down on inadvertent refrigerator science projects is to date your leftovers. I keep painter's masking tape and a sharpie handy.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:06 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Why only if you're a single? Wouldn't the same system be applicable to a couple or family?

Mostly the quantities of each thing you buy. It won't all fit in the door.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:24 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I admit I'm guilty of being the person who buys food, lets it go bad, then had to throw away. Nearly always, it's produce or fruit. Especially salad greens and vegetables.

I just read this and I'm curious what y'all think about it.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ref...waste-36616626
I think it flies in the face of a hundred years of refrigerator technology evolution. She puts the lettuce on an open shelf so she can see it go bad much quicker than if it was in the crisper which is designed to keep it fresh longer. Cheese is also on an open shelf so it can spread its odors to everything else and absorb odors from everything else rather than be isolated in the section designed to prevent that.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

And I hate the overuse of the word "hack" by anyone who thinks their own little ill-conceived, counterproductive tips will help someone else.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:28 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
My back for a neat and organized frig would to not let my husband buy anymore barbeque and other misc sauces. But have tried, doesn't work.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:24 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
I buy produce as needed most of the time. It does require some quick trips to the store though. Even when I know it's there, I still wind up throwing out some rotten peaches or something once in a while.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:31 AM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times
I have 2 veggie crispers in my fridge. One I use for bread/rolls. Living in the south with humidity has them going bad too soon if I keep them out.
I just pop what I need in the microwave for 10 seconds and it brings them to room temp.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:50 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

And I hate the overuse of the word "hack" by anyone who thinks their own little ill-conceived, counterproductive tips will help someone else.
Me too. Same with "trick." Seems to be a trend by writers and editors to get people to read it and believe it's some new, unknown, solution to an impossible problem. And then it isn't.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:23 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
Refrigerator has a side freezer. Freezer side tall but narrow. I use the plastic containers to organize the larger fridge side but not the freezer side. I have the magnetic grocery list on the door. Clear plastic containers - shoebox/memory box type - in the fridge without lids. Items separated by type....cold cuts, one side of a clear drawer/cheese the other side, etc. I position things so I can look down from the door and see the edge of what everything is through the clear shelves. I don't put in all the family preferred soda and all the bottled water at once but rather a fair supply and then keep perpetual inventory with the already cold ones in front. It took a few tries envisioning and then adjusting shelves to see just which items needed quicker easier access and which items needed a tall space on a shelf vs a short one. I like the dividers that come with the refrigerator for the door compartments. I want to see if I can get more of those. Don't want the jams and jellies cavorting with the ketchup and mustard. Conversation over the divider is fine. Actually, those dividers can do a good job of keeping things upright.

I know what you're thinking...where does the salad dressing go. Certainly not in the jams and jellies section. But...is it really a condiment? It's not as versatile as the ketchup, mustard, mao and is pretty salad specific here.

Haven't had anything expire or bloom out in a while from not knowing it's there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House