U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 08:01 AM

15,278 posts, read 19,414,289 times

Advertisements

I admit I'm guilty of being the person who buys food, lets it go bad, then had to throw away. Nearly always, it's produce or fruit. Especially salad greens and vegetables.

I just read this and I'm curious what y'all think about it.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ref...waste-36616626
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 08:08 AM

7,337 posts, read 2,657,054 times
I think it's a great idea. She's making her space work for HER. Smart.

If I were a single person, only having to live with myself, I would probably do this.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think it's a great idea. She's making her space work for HER. Smart.

If I were a single person, only having to live with myself, I would probably do this.
Why only if you're a single? Wouldn't the same system be applicable to a couple or family?

Old 09-20-2019, 08:33 AM

4,498 posts, read 7,415,883 times
Whatever works for you.

My "hack" is to use a meal list (what I'll be cooking for the next week), which is what I use to form a Shopping list (only buy what's needed for those meals), and thus by the end of each week I have nothing that's bad or needs to be pitched. Obviously that doesn't work great with things you only use little amounts of... say, anchovy paste... thankfully the majority of that stuff is stable for a long, LONG time. The rest, even if it's more costly per-ounce, I buy the smallest physical container possible (usually works out to be cheaper overall, and I get to enjoy higher quality... sometimes). If I plan things right, I can actually go 2 weeks without a grocery trip, but that relys on using more hearty (usually root) vegetables for the 2nd week.... or repurposing something cooked earlier into a new dish later.

I remember back in the days of just wandering through the store and grabbing things that sparked my interest, and yes there WAS a lot of waste as some veg or another simply went bad because I didn't have anything in mind that I was going to cook with it. Or maybe I did, but forgot because I didn't have a handy list of the different meals I thought about cooking. Regardless, the meal list driving the shopping list was my solution. Was also a solution to cut the junk food from my home (no meals are based around a tub of cookie dough), if it's not there, I won't eat it. Helped me loose about 80lbs and I've keep it off for 15 years now, on top of not tossing money in the form of spoiled food.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:38 AM

3,593 posts, read 5,257,657 times
One thing that made it easier for me to use up perishables was switching to a bottom freezer fridge. So much easier to see what you have when you don't have to bend way over!

Old 09-20-2019, 10:03 AM

7,337 posts, read 2,657,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Why only if you're a single? Wouldn't the same system be applicable to a couple or family?

It probably could, but not in my family. We are creatures of habit, and it's not just me to consider. That's one thing.

Second, We have salad every day as a habit, anyway. Whatever produce I buy, it DOES get used right away.

But if I were single, I might be tempted to do as the author of article said she did. Just order take out. But maybe at some point, I decide I need to make healthier choices, and I can see being more likely to cook and eat healthier if all that pretty produce was right where I could see it, grab it, prepare it, etc.

It'd get my tastebuds primed, and would be calling to me, when it's right in my face.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:49 AM

13,572 posts, read 18,133,539 times
Are our lives now being dictated by hacks? What happened to a shopping list, cleaning the fridge out every week and eating what is in the fridge before it dies of old age? I do not need some blogger to tell me that salad goes bad before mustard.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Are our lives now being dictated by hacks? What happened to a shopping list, cleaning the fridge out every week and eating what is in the fridge before it dies of old age? I do not need some blogger to tell me that salad goes bad before mustard.
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "hack". Maybe the word 'organizing' suits you better?

Old 09-20-2019, 10:58 AM

3,593 posts, read 5,257,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

Good grief! We ALL know this. It's just that sometimes that head of lettuce or cucumber is buried in the vegetable drawer and we forget it's there. Especially if you're single and have to buy pre-determined amounts. My single friends and I joke about our fridges being the place we store things to keep them cold until we have to throw them out.

Lighten up. We aren't all so organized that we clean out every week or eat everything in the fridge. It's very much a first world problem. I count myself lucky and privileged.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:31 AM

303 posts, read 46,764 times
I am currently living alone most of the time. My children have grown and become adults with homes themselves, my DH is spending time in AZ and with me in TX - I really like this idea - I might do a re-organization of my refrigerator this weekend. I just made a salad for lunch, and yes- I found cucumber way in the back between brown lettuce. Thankfully - I had some green lettuce and other items to make my salad, but saw how much needs to be thrown out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or