U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

4,109 posts, read 1,773,055 times

Advertisements

Similar problem, was a loose wire in the breaker box. Killed the fridge, now we keep it on a surge protector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:51 AM

444 posts, read 132,333 times
I've done some fairly complex troubleshooting for residential customers, and it's not uncommon to find that the problem is on the utility's side. I was disappointed to find that there are utilities out there that will flat out lie and deny that they are the problem in the least. On one occasion I had a "field engineer" who was lying, and we both knew that he had a rotted underground neutral between the transformer and the house. I found 160+ volts to ground, in the house, got the reading locked into a digital meter, and called for a meeting. At that point he confessed, and it cost the company $5K in damages to appliances and electronics in the home. I found that demanding that they send a crew out to install a recording meter at the service brought the whole, "we are certain that we simply can't be the problem here" BS to hard stop.

Old Today, 07:14 AM

11,407 posts, read 8,663,554 times
It's a ghost.

Old Today, 08:11 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,776,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
I've done some fairly complex troubleshooting for residential customers, and it's not uncommon to find that the problem is on the utility's side. I was disappointed to find that there are utilities out there that will flat out lie and deny that they are the problem in the least. On one occasion I had a "field engineer" who was lying, and we both knew that he had a rotted underground neutral between the transformer and the house. I found 160+ volts to ground, in the house, got the reading locked into a digital meter, and called for a meeting. At that point he confessed, and it cost the company $5K in damages to appliances and electronics in the home. I found that demanding that they send a crew out to install a recording meter at the service brought the whole, "we are certain that we simply can't be the problem here" BS to hard stop.
Had similar problems at our camp. Had the power company out 3 times and our own electrician twice. The company finally admitted that the problem was a bad connection out at the transformer at the road side.

Old Today, 06:32 PM

15,346 posts, read 31,919,195 times
Go out to the breaker box late at night when it’s quiet, and listen for any ‘sizzling’ types sounds. If you hear it, you have a bad breaker.

Old Today, 08:28 PM

16,801 posts, read 16,929,524 times
I had a transformer going that supplied power for the unit I was living in.......all sorts of kooky problems, flashing lights included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House