U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 12:18 PM

13 posts, read 11,462 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Over the last two days, I've noticed that almost all the lights in my house (including light in the dryer and fridge) were pulsating/flashing. It's at a very high rate and the light doesn't go off. It basically gets slightly dim (by only about 5-10% just enough to be noticeable) and re brightens. This cycle happens probably 3-5 times a second; maybe more? All the lights in the fixture pulsate at the same rate/time. It's possible not to notice it unless you are looking at the light or the light it casts. At first I thought all my LEDs were failing at once, but I noticed my two chandeliers which uses incandescents were doing it, too. Oddly, most of my GE 2700K bulbs seem fine. Two of my LED night lights have completely died during this time. There are no other ill effects, all my appliances and tech work fine. The situation affects almost every room.

Thinking it was a rouge appliance, I tried turning almost everything off, including almost all circuits at the panel, in the house except for a few lights, and the problem persists.

I do have a secondary photovoltaic system (solar), but I've turned off both solar panels at the inverter and turned off the secondary solar service panel outside to eliminate the solar system and the problem persists.

My house was built in 2002 and has a standard 200a panel. When I bought the house in 2015 I had an inspection and I know an electrician evaluated the panel at that time.

Any ideas? Should I call my power co. to see if there's something weird with the power they are sending me? Or should I call a electrician? I'm a pretty confident DIYer, but I don't feel 100% comfortable taking my service panel off.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 12:32 PM

3,343 posts, read 3,229,411 times
Exclamation Call the power company

If you've turned everything else off (include HVAC) and you still have pulsating incandescent lights, you should call the power company.

Sounds like something is wrong with your incoming line or the transformer which steps the power down to 110/220.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:21 PM

12,831 posts, read 49,688,640 times
By your process of elimination I'd deduce a problem with the service line.

Your your neighbor has an illegal hydroponic pot garden growing in their basement and they're stealing power from you for the grow lights!

Old 09-21-2019, 10:33 PM

1,879 posts, read 662,980 times
Call your power company. We had the same thing. The electric line, cable and gas line were near each other, two on top of each other. There had been a lot of rain. Just a problem waiting to happen. They were not buried deep. Then a neighbor parked a truck on our side over the utility lines area. Then our lights flickered, came on, didn't come on...same light. I talked with neighbors and they were thinking about what was wrong but not really into it yet. Then all of a sudden everyone was on board. Called the electric company. Turned out some lines got crushed together.

Don't be surprised if every utility has to be represented to be sure things are okay. They were working on or overseeing their own utilities for a couple of hours and then all was well. All free.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM

1,474 posts, read 1,726,678 times
We were having brown outs and it turned out to be a defective main breaker switch. Took some time to find it. Power company was out several times. It ruined our fridge and freezer.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM

4,131 posts, read 2,160,409 times
I was having a similar problem a couple of months after moving to my current 60 year old house. It got so bad I started calling it the "Exorcist house" due to the flickering and strobing lights and the power dips and surges. Then I got a new panel box along with the generator install and the problem seemed to pretty much go away. I also had the power company come out and check the service line (which they said was OK), but they didn't check the transformer, which the electrician I also called had recommended.

Recently the problem has started up again a little, but much less. I've begun to think that it is associated with new construction that is taking place on a cul-de-sac at the end of the street. Every time that construction work starts on a new house lot, the electrical problem occurs. At this point, as long as it is only flickering lights and not major power dips and surges, I can live with it, although it is annoying and startling.

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

15,346 posts, read 31,919,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
We were having brown outs and it turned out to be a defective main breaker switch. Took some time to find it. Power company was out several times. It ruined our fridge and freezer.
I had the same thing. After we removed it I could shake it and hear rattling inside. They certainly donít last forever.

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM

1,474 posts, read 1,726,678 times
We are 4 hours into a power outage this morning and the power has come back on 3 times for about 5 seconds and it goes off. Third Sunday in a row for an outage. Could relate to the weather as we are in a flash flood watch. They are working on it.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

542 posts, read 284,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I had brownouts in half of the house only. Turned out to be the meter socket gone bad.

Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

1,621 posts, read 1,294,806 times
Had the same issue, it was a faulty breaker on the outside main box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House