U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

1,023 posts, read 908,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
As of 2018 https://www.textrequest.com/blog/how...line-phone/43% of US households still use a landline.
I think that % of people who still own landlines surprises people. The early baby boomer generation like my parents still have a landline despite both having cell phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:27 AM

14,993 posts, read 10,021,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I think that % of people who still own landlines surprises people. The early baby boomer generation like my parents still have a landline despite both having cell phones.
The "kitchen phone" on the wall brought comfort and security to the entire home. What killed it for me were two things. First, it became an extension of wifi. There were no "landlines" so it was subject to the same uncertainties that the internet was. Second, I started noticing the double payment for phone service. One for the cell phone and for the wall phone that nobody called.

Old Today, 08:41 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,281,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
the POTS still work when nothing else will.
If you are off a remote (vs directly from the switch), it probably only has 8-hours of battery back-up. When a hurricane came through our area back in the 90s, the local telco brought in generators to put at some of the remotes to keep service going.

Old Today, 10:00 AM

169 posts, read 37,732 times
Thank you for posting that picture of the old phone jack. I had quite the chuckle when I saw it. The last time I saw a jack like that I was in high school. BTW, it is the 505A standard from Ma Bell.

My parents had two state of the art bake-lite black rotary phones that you leased from Ma Bell. Back then you could not buy your phone, only lease them. One in the kitchen and the other in an alcove in the hallway by the bed rooms.

I am assuming that newer posters do not know who Ma Bell is/was.

Old Today, 10:51 AM

4,841 posts, read 3,824,562 times
I was a senior consultant at Bell Labs in Warrenville IL in the late 1980s. To test software on attached processors, we had to go into a 5ESS lab and make test calls from phones. They had phones of every conceivable age and country in there. The attached processors translated signals to/from all sorts of older tech to talk to the 5ESS properly - even the few old timey switchboards that were around then. Everything had to be compatible with everything else.I suspect support for land lines will be around for a long time.

Old Today, 11:56 AM

1,923 posts, read 858,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post

My parents had two state of the art bake-lite black rotary phones
Speaking of rotary phones here's a video of two teenagers trying to figure out how to use one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHNEzndgiFI

Old Today, 01:33 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,016,651 times
We had those when I was a kid. House was built in 1968. I remember you could pull the plug out from the way it was supposed to go and plug it back in wrong and _sometimes_ you would get connected to someone else's call.

No idea how that worked but on more than one occasion I could freak someone out by talking. Yeah, it was a jerk thing to do but 1976 winters in CT were boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House