U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 01:18 PM

1,995 posts, read 688,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
All those roots are seeking water. And it looks like a very wet area. I would trench around the foundation about 3 feet away from the foundation and cut all those roots. Mark water and sewer lines so they are not cut. Sever the roots and remove as much as you can safely remove. After that you would need to monitor the remaining roots and root stubs that they do not set off on a new journey toward the house.
This is an excellent recommendation if your intent is to “try” and save the tree. If the tree dies as a result of the root damage ( probably won’t ) then you remove the tree. If the trees lives on, you need to check the roots again in another 5 to 6 years or so.

You do not want roots near or under your foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 01:41 PM

830 posts, read 4,018,755 times
Thanks!

If I remove the roots from that area would it not make the tree weak and susceptible to falling under high winds and hurricanes.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:42 PM

@ShaneSA How deep the trench has to be? Do I need some special equipment to dig the trench?

Also how close to the tree would I dig the trench?

Should I did the trench close to the outside house wall away from the tree and then remove the roots and fill it with soil.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:34 PM

12,844 posts, read 49,735,148 times
Cutting roots is a band-aid! You'll forever be chasing roots.

Remove. The. Tree.

What you will get in return is a yard with turf and no trip hazards!

Old 09-25-2019, 03:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 8,543,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Thanks!

If I remove the roots from that area would it not make the tree weak and susceptible to falling under high winds and hurricanes.
It could, yes.

I hate to say this about any tree, especially an oak, but I think you should take it out. If it makes you feel better, hold a cursing ceremony for the person who planted the wrong tree in that spot in the first place.

Another thing you might do is contact an arborist (or urban forester). If we're wrong here, the arborist will tell you. An arborist can also evaluate all the trees in your yard for similar future problems.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:57 PM

Thanks jacqueg,

I have just setup an appointment with Arborist for next week. Let's see what they say. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:15 PM

2,291 posts, read 1,437,290 times
If you do have to take down the old oak tree, don't forget to plant another tree or two next spring... away from the house, of course.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:27 PM

1,995 posts, read 688,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Thanks!

It depends on the heath and size of the tree along with the root size and structure which are difficult to determine.

The safest way to proceed would be to remove the tree and plant another species that will have a less destructive root structure if close to your foundation.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:12 PM

12,844 posts, read 49,735,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If you do have to take down the old oak tree, don't forget to plant another tree or two next spring... away from the house, of course.
That is a misleading answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
The safest way to proceed would be to remove the tree and plant another species that will have a less destructive root structure if close to your foundation.
This is a better answer! Not just any tree- a tree that is appropriate for the region, the size of the lot, and the root system of said species.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:33 PM

Thanks!

I talked to two of my neighbors who also took out the tree and they said the same thing that they took it out because of the roots destroying the sidewalk.

I will have to do the same thing I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or