U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 11:09 PM

39,976 posts, read 48,584,267 times

Advertisements

Whatever roots you sever/cut will effect some branches that rely on those roots. The branches will eventually die out. If you cut too many roots the whole tree will eventually be effected, die or fall over in a storm..
Best thing as others have advised is to remove the tree before any heavy damage develops and costs you money and aggravation. Re-plant an appropriate tree in an appropriate area away from the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM

12,379 posts, read 6,906,897 times
Large trees belong in the forest.

They start out pretty and manageable, and eventually become monsters which take over, can become dangerous and ruin your roof, siding, foundation, lawn. Many large old trees now are getting to that stage and people don't seem to want to deal with it because they think these monsters are nice. There are many in my neighborhood, and owners don't even trim or prune them, and don't seem to care that they are ruining their own properties and the neighbors', as these trees grow "into" the houses - roots, branches, heavy leaning trunks and huge canopies that block the sun completely.

Cut that sucker down before it costs you big time.

Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM

830 posts, read 4,018,755 times
@tamajane

Thanks! Yes you are correct.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

12,844 posts, read 49,735,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

They start out pretty and manageable, and eventually become monsters which take over, can become dangerous and ruin your roof, siding, foundation, lawn. Many large old trees now are getting to that stage and people don't seem to want to deal with it because they think these monsters are nice. There are many in my neighborhood, and owners don't even trim or prune them, and don't seem to care that they are ruining their own properties and the neighbors', as these trees grow "into" the houses - roots, branches, heavy leaning trunks and huge canopies that block the sun completely.

I have had the same on-going aggravation- my neighbors think I'm a "tree killer" and there's no convincing them otherwise. Now, after 7+yrs some of those effects are coming to fruition.

I will eventually get the last words- "told you so!" When they start spending thousands of dollars on repairs and/or suing neighbors for damages.

Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

130 posts, read 34,912 times
Quote:

Agreed 100%

I'm (as I speak) getting an old, huge silver maple taken down from my front yard. Poor choice of tree for anywhere within 100 yards of a house, because they grow so massive and their roots pop up on the surface.

Sure, I'll miss the shade and privacy, but everything else about that tree is a nightmare: surface roots damaging driveway and snagging mower deck, shade on roof causes algae/moss to grow, constantly dropping something like spinners/sap/leaves, and brittle limbs that threaten to destroy anything under them.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

12,379 posts, read 6,906,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
Agreed 100%

I'm (as I speak) getting an old, huge silver maple taken down from my front yard. Poor choice of tree for anywhere within 100 yards of a house, because they grow so massive and their roots pop up on the surface.

Sure, I'll miss the shade and privacy, but everything else about that tree is a nightmare: surface roots damaging driveway and snagging mower deck, shade on roof causes algae/moss to grow, constantly dropping something like spinners/sap/leaves, and brittle limbs that threaten to destroy anything under them.

The power company here is supposed to be investing in tree cutting near the lines due to weakened elderly trees being a potential hazard. A while back they widened the road, and added a sidewalk, now my tree is near their wires. The tree has issues, and I pruned it and they had cut some branches, but they refuse to remove it. They said I would not be responsible if "something happened" but they will not take it. I already took down two and I just want them to take the one, it is in the right of way for the town utilities. The guy seemed uneducated about trees or was playing me.

Despite all the problems and risks, I am told the monster trees add to my property value.

Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I am told the monster trees add to my property value.

"Perceived value" based on a RE agent that wants a commission-
But, as clearly being outlined in this thread they are a detriment to property values- especially when they are mature and too big for their space.

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

7,368 posts, read 12,948,431 times
OP, at my last house (which I still own, but is now a rental), there was a huge oak tree in my back yard about 6' (seriously!) from my house. I remember wondering about it when I first bought the house (it was my first house ever!), but it took me a few years to decide, YES, I NEED TO REMOVE IT.

That was insanely expensive ($1,400 to remove ONE tree ), but the peace of mind afterward was wonderful. (And my across-the-street neighbor was able to use a lot of the wood for his wood stove -- I gave him the wood, he did a lot of snow plowing for me in the winter, so it worked out fine for both of us).

I think you will feel better once yours is OUT!

Old Today, 01:33 AM

9,287 posts, read 3,159,153 times
Quote:

What you are saying about large trees, has not been followed at all in my city and other towns in our region. There are large Douglas firs by the tens of thousands throughout the area and I don't know of much problem with foundations cracking. Living among large conifers is a way of life here. I have several big ones and I have to do some work with pruning or cutting-up old limbs, but that is something that many of us are willing and able to do. And there isn't a hint of any root encroachment on my foundation. I'm ready to take out roots, if I ever see it.

Old Today, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
What you are saying about large trees, has not been followed at all in my city and other towns in our region. There are large Douglas firs by the tens of thousands throughout the area and I don't know of much problem with foundations cracking. Living among large conifers is a way of life here. I have several big ones and I have to do some work with pruning or cutting-up old limbs, but that is something that many of us are willing and able to do. And there isn't a hint of any root encroachment on my foundation. I'm ready to take out roots, if I ever see it.

Doug-firs are conifers and have a different root system than that of an oak. So, your analogy doesn't hold much water in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or