U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM

12,852 posts, read 49,756,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almous71 View Post
Wouldn’t it be in the builder’s best interest to make sure they’re done right?

Yes; and no. It will all boil down to how the contract is written- by your given words "best interest".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

12,681 posts, read 12,837,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Your timeline makes no sense. If the repairs were approved- that's one thing; if there's an engineer's letter...
Well, that's between the builder, the truss manufacturer, and/or a PE.

You are "buying a house" that is being built. You don't own it! So you have No Control on the build.

Trusses can be easily damaged/broken from shipping and handling- and they can be repaired. Communication can be paramount- but it works both ways! Your tone tells me that you probably got a cold shoulder accordingly.
That's crap. Whose name is on the check? If build quality is unsatisfactory, the builder doesn't get paid until corrections are made.

"There's never time to do it right, but plenty of time to do it over."

The builder has two options:

1. Replace the trusses, or

2. Come up with a letter from an LPE that the repairs are adequate.

Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

2,040 posts, read 6,167,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almous71 View Post
I have contacted an independent PE, but I’ll see how it goes on Monday before I get them officially involved. This builder has a pretty good reputation, and they know I’ll be bringing in my own inspector for the final walkthrough, who will know to pay attention to those trusses. Wouldn’t it be in the builder’s best interest to make sure they’re done right?

Yes it is absolutely in their best interest to prevent future call backs and problems. However reality is a shocker! It all depends on the Build Supervisor. A good Build Supervisor will make sure it is properly documented and corrected whereas a poor Building Supervisor will only make sure if they are motivated to do so. In some if not most build operations the Build Supervisor is graded on bringing in the project on time and without issues. Part of that grading may be bonuses for on time or early completion. I'm sure you can see where this description is headed.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's crap. Whose name is on the check? If build quality is unsatisfactory, the builder doesn't get paid until corrections are made.

If it were only that simple. You haven't seen or read the "builder's contract"- builder is getting paid; I can guarantee it!

Old Today, 02:22 AM

12,681 posts, read 12,837,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If it were only that simple. You haven't seen or read the "builder's contract"- builder is getting paid; I can guarantee it!
If the owner is having a custom house built, they are represented by an attorney. The builder will fix his mess, I guarantee it.

Old Today, 05:27 AM

2,001 posts, read 691,487 times
Quote:
If the owner is having a custom house built, they are represented by an attorney. The builder will fix his mess, I guarantee it.
Agreed, it’s obviously a damaged load bearing beam that is a part of a new house that is being purchased and imagine the buyers attorney will have plenty of legal options to ensure a suitable repair is made to his clients full satisfaction.

Old Today, 07:00 AM

1,102 posts, read 664,960 times
I'd be pissed that the contractor went forward with other work instead of honoring my request to stop work until resolve has been found..can't trust him now..

Old Today, 08:34 AM

Quote:
If the owner is having a custom house built,
where did you get that idea?
they are represented by an attorney. Who is "they"?The builder will fix his mess, I guarantee it.
i didn't say the builder wouldn't fix the problem- I'm merely saying that most "builder contracts" lean heavily in their favor. So, they're going to get paid one way or the other.

Old Today, 11:09 AM

4,308 posts, read 21,074,595 times
Quote:
You may surprised that many people have homes built without an attorney. It is not required, or common practice in many States.

In TN, they usually get an attorney after things have gone south. In all of the expert witness work I have done in TN, none of them had attorneys prior to or during construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House