U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 11:45 PM

895 posts, read 209,784 times

Advertisements

Got a guy coming tomorrow morning that will be doing ours in copper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 06:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 5,525,444 times
I read that ceramic tile countertops are among the least expensive and easiest to install, maybe will do that.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:59 PM

15,075 posts, read 10,914,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
If I want to replace a granite countertop with other materials, and not DIY, how/where to find/hire professionals (who will not break the granite in pieces) to do it? And what's the common pay for the job? Also what are good non-porous Non-granite and Non-marble materials to replace it with? Thanks in advance!
My sister has stainless, Id never get it but she likes it. Also, recycled glass is stunning and Ive considered it before but it was almost double the cost of the granite I found. Ive had butcher block counters before and loved them, but they do require frequent oiling.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:01 PM

21,923 posts, read 23,430,972 times
Quote:
I'm not shopping for granite. The current countertop is granite, I want to replace it with other materials.

For fear of getting this thread turned into a debate, I will refrain from discussing why... If someone could guess, good. But I just want to use other materials other than granite/marble. I'm not selling the granite, just get rid of it in one piece (or as large piece as possible), and dump it.

If you are not selling it but in fact dumping it, what difference does it make if it's broken apart?

Old 09-29-2019, 07:41 PM

684 posts, read 292,634 times
I’m considering quartz.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If you are not selling it but in fact dumping it, what difference does it make if it's broken apart?

To repeat, I don't want this thread to be derailed into other discussions/debates. For the "why", a separate thread would be called for. This thread is just about how to get it done. I'll be happy to join a thread about the "why" if anyone starts it, but I won't start another thread on this. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:24 PM

Would like to hire these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4opYeuRUqjk

Old Today, 01:08 AM

7,373 posts, read 4,068,724 times
Quote:
I'm not shopping for granite. The current countertop is granite, I want to replace it with other materials.

For fear of getting this thread turned into a debate, I will refrain from discussing why... If someone could guess, good. But I just want to use other materials other than granite/marble. I'm not selling the granite, just get rid of it in one piece (or as large piece as possible), and dump it.
You should realize that by being so unnecessarily secretive you are limiting the ability of others to understand what you find as a problem with the status quo and what would be an appropriate replacement. Knowing that information would make it much easier to provide the information you are apparently unable to find yourself.

Old Today, 06:05 AM

4,156 posts, read 2,177,128 times
Quote:
I read that ceramic tile countertops are among the least expensive and easiest to install, maybe will do that.
Yes, but ceramic tile countertops require more maintenance because you have to constantly scrub the grout to keep it clean, even with grout sealer. Also, if you are considering resale value, ceramic countertops are one of the things buyers usually want to rip out first. Most people today want some kind of solid surface countertop.

Old Today, 11:56 AM

21,633 posts, read 12,277,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Yes, but ceramic tile countertops require more maintenance because you have to constantly scrub the grout to keep it clean, even with grout sealer. Also, if you are considering resale value, ceramic countertops are one of the things buyers usually want to rip out first. Most people today want some kind of solid surface countertop.
Yes, this. I had tile in my last house and by the time I moved out, I hated it with a passion. I would never, ever buy a house with tile counters unless I was already planning to tear them out.

Quartz would be expensive but maintain a comparable value. Corian or another solid surface would be better than tile, although still less desirable to most buyers these days.

And no, I'm not saying that every choice in a house should be made thinking about resale value. But that still doesn't mean it's wise to spend a lot of money to lower the value of your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House