U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 07:44 AM

16,268 posts, read 15,432,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I had a back entry, mudroom and kitchen with Pergo tile for 15 yrs and never a scratch from big dogs. Pergo is a brand, and it was a good one.
I agree; Pergo is indestructible. Years ago we installed it in our then-teenage son's bedroom; most of the rest of the house had hardwood floors. You could drop a skateboard on the Pergo--and he did--and it showed nothing. Today their products must be even more durable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 09:43 AM

10,946 posts, read 10,449,706 times
It’s called function over fashion. Our dogs scratches the heck out of our wood floors and there will be bathroom accidents. And yes the drool. The floors rarely look gleaming clean :/.

Wood look tile planks can be the same width and length as wide plank wood floors. So they’re not “big”. Use a slim grout line. High quality wood look tile especially from Italy will look very much like wood and if the installer knows his trade he’d install in a way that planks don’t repeat.

I find wood looktile to be very practical and fashionable and great option for people who want to appreciate the wood aesthetic while having the functionality of tile-which I’ve found takes abuse like a champ. Wood look tile goes great in laundry rooms and bathrooms, places where it makes no sense to install wood

Old 09-29-2019, 12:57 PM

5,381 posts, read 5,321,091 times
I think it's a big regional as well. Where I live, tile outside of the bathroom or the kitchen is relatively uncommon. Based on what I have seen, it seems many of the houses in the SW and Florida are more likely to have tile elsewhere.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:03 PM

39,308 posts, read 15,555,715 times
Love hardwood floors. Don't love the upkeep.

Friend put down wood-look porcelain tile with narrow grout lines. Four years later, it still looks brand new.

We put down Pergo around the same time. It still looks great.

I'd rather have the tiles, but for affordability and durability, hard to beat Pergo.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:26 PM

15,653 posts, read 18,018,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Two years ago I replaced the every floor in the house with porcelain tile that has
the look of aged oak....anges it's hues as the sunlight is coming in
as it moves during the day.

A quick vacuum followed by my Sharky steamer makes it look like it was just installed
once a month the old mop and bucket routine is done

Can you please post a link the the Sharky steamer? Something similar to what you have that works well? Thank you

Old 09-29-2019, 04:12 PM

21,923 posts, read 23,430,972 times
I would guess that in AZ tile floors would be fine.

Personally that is not my preference - I would go with wood or LVP (the "wood" planks not the "tile" squares) if the dogs are an issue. I find tile louder, hard to stand on and dropping something most assuredly results in breakage - also much more costly to update after the fact. That said, in hot climates and with multiple dogs, I get it.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:14 PM

12,103 posts, read 20,672,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEBMurray View Post
Good Evening, Everyone!!

My husband and I moved to Gilbert from Southern California in 2017. We are currently renting, but are planning to buy a house within the next 3-6 months. We have three dogs so we want a carpet free house. For those who bought resale homes -- did you replace the carpet with tile or wood? If wood -- what type did you choose? Since we will be doing the entire house, flooring must be pet-friendly and water-resistant?

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!!
One other thing to think about — How are your knees, back and feet? If you get an inkling that your knees are going bad or that your back is not in good shape, you might want to consider something that’s a little more giving than tile. Tile is very hard, and hard on your feet and back and knees.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:30 PM

528 posts, read 142,631 times
Engineered hardwood: looks good in the beginning but will scratch and succumb to compression dents, will yellow over time when exposed to sun, and can warp/separate/crack due to water damage from underneath (first hand homeowner experience).

Porcelain tile: impervious to scratches, sun, and water damage (both above and below).

Takeaway:
For looks - maybe engineered hardwood, but porcelain plank tile can look might close.

For durability - porcelain over hardwood every day of the week...evverryyy dayyyy.

After living with both: tile

Old 09-29-2019, 09:03 PM

1,419 posts, read 639,239 times
Tile for the kitchen and bathrooms. Wood for everything else.

Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM

5,676 posts, read 2,620,114 times
Personally I think the Saltillo tiles look great in a Southwest-style house. However, they're not real even and there will be a certain amount of rocking and unevenness of your kitchen table, etc.

I'm not a fan of materials that try to look like something else.

Real hardwood looks great and is reasonably resistant to dog nail scratches, if you have it finished in a lighter shade, but a pool of "liquid" on it will cause cupping and staining. Personal experience on that, when our dog got senile and incontinent.

Two options not mentioned yet, both of which are non-trendy and yet could look really good under the right circumstances, are linoleum (the real thing) and rubber. Linoleum is the same all the way through so if it gets scratched there's no change in color; the next coat of wax will hide all scratches, and it's highly water resistant if you keep it waxed. Rubber is a flooring for the ultra-modern house, but it seems to me that it would be about ideal for a house with dogs. If your house's style can tolerate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House