Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 11:34 PM

40 posts, read 77,644 times

Advertisements

Good Evening, Everyone!!

My husband and I moved to Gilbert from Southern California in 2017. We are currently renting, but are planning to buy a house within the next 3-6 months. We have three dogs so we want a carpet free house. For those who bought resale homes -- did you replace the carpet with tile or wood? If wood -- what type did you choose? Since we will be doing the entire house, flooring must be pet-friendly and water-resistant?

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 06:35 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
We have all three. Carpet in the master, tile in the great room and baths and wood everywhere else. We notice that is pretty much the norm - maybe more carpet in "kids" bedrooms. Our wood is not wood, but pergo. We put it down quite a few years back and it is dated with respect to color so we have been thinking of replacing it. And debating wood vs laminate. The laminate is bullet proof. It simply does not wear or scratch or loose its lustre. We have engineered hardwood in another home that we own and that one shows scratches and wear patterns in the walk areas. With pets, the durability of laminate may be important. But hardwood looks better, IMO and may be better on a resale basis, but color and condition will matter as well with that. Choices, choices.

One thing that is very trendy right now is tile that looks like wood. You get the best of both, I suppose. The thing is that it is a trend and it may not last. Colors too, the grays and darks of today will surely be replaced some day with something else. Removing out of style tile flooring is expensive and messy. Hardwood or laminate is a DIY project if you are so inclined.

Something else to keep in mind here. There is dust and dirt and little rocks everywhere. These get on your feet and you track them into the house. Dark tiles show footprints and hardwood finishes can be scratched. With dark tiles and hardwoods, you end up being one of those houses where people have to take their shoes off when they come in.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-27-2019 at 06:46 AM..

Old 09-27-2019, 06:57 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Or the third choice, stained concrete floors. I pulled out the old, dated tile and did stained concrete. If in 10-20 years it looks dated I simply tile over it again.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:01 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Two years ago I replaced the every floor in the house with porcelain tile that has
the look of aged oak, it was hard to find a color that blended well
with my southwest decor but I'm glad I took the time.

After all was said and done I could not be more happy as well as my
little furry buddy who had learned that running in the house and jumping
on the masters bed the grip is not quite like it used to be, the tile is not
slippery and the dog hair comes up so easily. one thing I've come to really
appreciate is how the floor changes it's hues as the sunlight is coming in
as it moves during the day.

A quick vacuum followed by my Sharky steamer makes it look like it was just installed
once a month the old mop and bucket routine is done and I'm always amazed on
how the water is not dark as it used to be.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:04 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
I vote 2ith laminate. It is about the only thing my last renters didn't manage to trash, with the exception of a transition strip. Love the finished concrete, but the sky is the limit on what can be spent refinishing it. The Mexicans do good tile work, for pretty cheap, but it looks.. Mexican. Minimize the grout lines, if doing tile,

Old 09-27-2019, 11:17 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
I would go with tile that looks like wood planks. Easier to keep clean and you don't hear the dog's nails as easily. I have wood laminate in a portion of the house and I can always hear my dog at night walking through the room... "ticka, ticka, ticka"... reminding me it's time to trim his nails!

Old 09-27-2019, 04:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
With 3 dogs, I'd go with stained concrete or a higher end wood-look vinyl. But then, I hate cleaning the grout on tile.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:00 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
With 3 dogs, I'd go with stained concrete or a higher end wood-look vinyl. But then, I hate cleaning the grout on tile.
Go with 3 mm grout lines.. just enough to let it move and enough to help keep it cemented.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:47 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Interesting question, CEBMurray . . .

Over the years I have had all three (Carpeting, Tile and Wood) but now I have Laminate with Saltillo Tile in the Bathrooms and Kitchen.

Took some time to get accustomed to the Laminate but I must admit, it had definitely become my all time favorite. Tough as nails, easy to care for and looks good.

Good Luck.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:05 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
With three dogs, I don’t think I’d use Pergo. Unless the product has dramatically improved, it really shows the wear.

We have mostly Saltillo tile, which I will have to have removed. It’ll be very messy and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House