U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2019, 11:02 PM
 
930 posts, read 329,197 times
Reputation: 376

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I buy anti-rodent herb/spice packets from Ace Hardware, and put them in my RV for winter storage. They seem to work.
Of course, I also remove all food stuff that is packed in cardboard packages or plastic bags. Cans I do not worry about.
I usually place about half a dozen packets in various places in the RV.
Thanks. I'll see what I can do. I'll look into the anti-rodent packets from Ace. Ace has some good stuff that the big box stores don't carry. They had a pail with a contraption on the top that toppled the mice. I was thinking about it, but didn't use it.
I know I should contact a pest control company, I'll ask the neighbors if they use anybody. We are near woods, deer are also near but I haven't seen any in the park itself. I found that out about cardboard, they like cardboard, they also liked my flannel nightgowns. And the stevia that I had in wrapped plastic? Forget it! They liked that, too. So, yes, everything is going in hard to chew through plastic containers this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM
 
Location: on the wind
7,931 posts, read 3,386,515 times
Reputation: 26920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Thanks. I'll see what I can do. I'll look into the anti-rodent packets from Ace. Ace has some good stuff that the big box stores don't carry. They had a pail with a contraption on the top that toppled the mice. I was thinking about it, but didn't use it.
I know I should contact a pest control company, I'll ask the neighbors if they use anybody. We are near woods, deer are also near but I haven't seen any in the park itself. I found that out about cardboard, they like cardboard, they also liked my flannel nightgowns. And the stevia that I had in wrapped plastic? Forget it! They liked that, too. So, yes, everything is going in hard to chew through plastic containers this year.
I've tried anti-rodent packets (some sort of very potent cedar or balsam scented bags) but not certain they really repelled rodents from the house. I suspect all they did was force them to move a short distance to another spot in the house. It doesn't solve the real problem...they are a cheap short term bandaid that just prolongs it. I don't think I'd want clothing, food, or bedding to take on that strong a smell. A comment about the bucket tip-traps, They do work, but consider that if you fill the bucket with water, you need to either deal with drowned mice or actively swimming halfway drowned mice. If you end up with live mice you have to release them somewhere else unless you don't mind knowing they are in there dying and rotting. FWIW, drowning is a miserable fairly long process I find inhumane. There have been other lengthy contentious threads about inhumane mouse trapping on this forum and some members will state over and over and over how little they care about that. As I only get native rodents in my houses here I choose to be humane and release them into habitat. A basic snap trap is quick, relatively torture free, but the best solution is to exclude them entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
 
930 posts, read 329,197 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've tried anti-rodent packets (some sort of very potent cedar or balsam scented bags) but not certain they really repelled rodents from the house. I suspect all they did was force them to move a short distance to another spot in the house. It doesn't solve the real problem...they are a cheap short term bandaid that just prolongs it. I don't think I'd want clothing, food, or bedding to take on that strong a smell. A comment about the bucket tip-traps, They do work, but consider that if you fill the bucket with water, you need to either deal with drowned mice or actively swimming halfway drowned mice. If you end up with live mice you have to release them somewhere else unless you don't mind knowing they are in there dying and rotting. FWIW, drowning is a miserable fairly long process I find inhumane. There have been other lengthy contentious threads about inhumane mouse trapping on this forum and some members will state over and over and over how little they care about that. As I only get native rodents in my houses here I choose to be humane and release them into habitat. A basic snap trap is quick, relatively torture free, but the best solution is to exclude them entirely.
I agree. I don't want to empty the pail with the drowned rodents anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 13,460,227 times
Reputation: 9403
I have had success with Peppermint Oil, which I purchased in the pharmacy department at Walmart. When we weren't using motor home, we would place cotton balls soaked in the oil throughout the vehicle. Never had a problem when we started doing this. Also have used fabric softener sheets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Olympia area (for now)
1,625 posts, read 605,737 times
Reputation: 3338
There were some bare patches around the barn area so I chose mint plants to fill in. Mint is easy to grow and spreads fast. The horse feed has always remained untouched, so I thought the mint was doing a great job keeping rodents away. Then, a neighbor said his cat likes to hang around in my barn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Southern Most New Jersey
1,258 posts, read 882,172 times
Reputation: 2163
I have a cat. No mice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
1,044 posts, read 1,905,237 times
Reputation: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have had success with Peppermint Oil, which I purchased in the pharmacy department at Walmart. When we weren't using motor home, we would place cotton balls soaked in the oil throughout the vehicle. Never had a problem when we started doing this. Also have used fabric softener sheets.
This is exactly what I was going to recommend. I watched a video on YouTube by Greg Macke ("Your Car Angel") who recommended using peppermint oil to keep rodents from chewing the wiring inside the engine compartment of your car. He says that they absolutely hate the smell of peppermint oil, so will stay far away from it.

I haven't tried out his recommendation myself as I haven't had any problems with mice recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:06 AM
 
1,644 posts, read 1,407,052 times
Reputation: 1372
Default Mice Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I found lots of mice droppings in a few drawers I don't often use. Does anyone have success with sprinkling mint around in drawers etc to repel them? We go away for the winter and I'm trying to put as much as possible in plastic boxes, but I am wondering about scents like mint.



The return of Steamboat WIllie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top