U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM

3 posts, read 1,453 times

Advertisements

Hi, Iím thinking of painting the interior trim and cabinets in my place and Iím not sure what color to choose. The painter recommended Dover White but when I look at it it seems like it has a lot of yellow in it. Thoughts on that color for trim? Most of the painters can only use Sherwin Williams paints so I would have to choose one of their colors. Also, should kitchen cabinets and trim be the same color of white?

Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:33 AM

1,005 posts, read 665,343 times
Dover white looks more creamy to me. https://www.rughdesign.com/2018/05/3...e-dover-white/ I would do extra white for the trim.

Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM

1,191 posts, read 808,762 times
Sherwin Williams, like any other paint store, can mix custom paint colors to match anything you want. Dover White is one of their stock premixed colors. Get a color wheel or sample cards and find something you like that works with the other color elements already in the room that you're not going to change.

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

12,858 posts, read 49,768,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Sherwin Williams, like any other paint store, can mix custom paint colors to match anything you want. Dover White is one of their stock premixed colors. Get a color wheel or sample cards and find something you like that works with the other color elements already in the room that you're not going to change.

I concur-

I have never recommended a "white-white" for trim. They will usually yellow just a bit; so why not start with something that already has a slight yellow/cream color to it. It also won't have a stark contrast to the existing colors.

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

1,260 posts, read 882,172 times
I like Sherwin Williams paints. Been using them ever since they took over MAB. I used a lot of MAB and before that Benjamin Moore when living in CT.

For the past ten years I have been using bright white. Before that I used white with the faintest tint of grey.

I now stay with one color throughout the house. That way I can just paint a panel (or wall) if necessary.

Of course woods or other colors may be influencing your painter to suggest the yellow tint.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

1,549 posts, read 703,106 times
I am thinking of painting my cabinets SW Greek Villa. I think that is the closest match to the existing trim in my house (don't know the actual color since it was painted by previous owners), which is a soft white. I think Greek Villa is a popular choice for cabinets. You can find lots of examples if you google it.

Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM

4,259 posts, read 7,521,285 times
I had Dover White trim in a previous house. Have Greek Villa now. When you put them next to each other Dover White is definitely yellow-er.

Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

22,948 posts, read 15,009,627 times
Get a sample of Dover White. Paint it on a piece of foam core. Paint to the edges of your piece of foam core. When the paint is dry, hold it up to your walls. See if you like the paint with the colors of your walls.

And yes, trim color paint should be consistent, especially in a small to medium sized house. Sometimes one room might be different. But I prefer consistency.

There are a bazillion whites. You should be able to find one that looks good with all your room colors.

Personally, I would not choose true, bright white for trim.

Old Today, 02:15 PM

26,856 posts, read 63,920,841 times
Sherwin Williams is only good paint at the higher levels. their cheap paint is garbage. their higher end paint is very good. nearly as good as Benjamin Moore and possibly less expensive.

We sued some Benjamin Moore, some Sherwin Willaims and a small amount of paint by a company called Graham (really high end ceramic based paint), in less important areas we used Behr and whatever Loews sells. The Benny More and S.W. paint has held up equally well over the past twelve years. The Graham pain looks like it was painted yesterday, but that is not a practical option. It was insanely expensive. The Behr paint did ok. It had faded some and failed in a few places that get high moisture in the air. It also tends to get scratched more, but that may be a function of the proximity of kids to those walls as much as paint resistance to scratching. The Loews store brand (I cannot remember the name, but it is there equivalent to Behr) did not do well in some places. To be fair though, the cheaper paint was applied by me or by lower level "professional" painters. While the better paints were mostly applied by the high level pros. They put it on a lot thicker than armatures.

As to colors. We learned from it happening, that you never really can tell how something will look until it is done and dried. Our kitchen we wanted really pure white and the trim is cobalt Blue to tie in with my wife's collection of Cobalt blue glassware (that is the Graham Paint). Our painter suggested we use a blue tinted white, he said it will look wither. Looking at a small test of the blued white, I thought it was too blue. He said - you have to see it everywhere. I took his advice and it looks exactly how we wanted. Just really white looking, you cannot tell the blue is in there.

In our dining room we were looking at colors. Our last house dining room was peach and our decor was selected to compliment that color. however the peach dining room was too bright. Painter suggested a dark peach with a burnt orange ceiling. Sounds awful. A small test area looked awful. "trust me" he said, "remember the kitchen" i did and it looks awesome. Three rooms went the same way. he suggested colors I thought were too dark or just terrible (burnt orange? Blech). They all ended up looking great. You really cannot tell until you see it.

He suggested a lemon cream for the exterior base color instead of plain white. "I said Lemon? I am not a fan of yellow." trust me he said, it will compliment the trim colors beautifully."

We have not been able to afford to paint the exterior yet, but he did a house down the street from us. Years later (like 10 years) it is still the best looking vintage/historic house in our community. It looks white from the street, but it is tinted and the tint ties the white perfectly into the trim colors.

Old Today, 03:31 PM

12,858 posts, read 49,768,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We sued some Benjamin Moore...

Not "the" Ben Moore? Just some plain ol' Ben? Poor guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or