U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 08:14 PM

1,623 posts, read 2,526,155 times

Advertisements

We have the weirdest thing happening. We have a walk-in shower, with 2 shower heads, and next to the shower is our water closet. When each of us shower back to back, a lot of water pools on the floor of the water closet, in front of the toilet. This does not happen if only one person showers, or each of us showers far apart. There is no trace of water from the shower to the toilet area. It is as though water is rising up from under the tile. Is this possible? The plumber who installed the plumbing under the slab says this has nothing to do with the plumbing, and blames the A/C vent condensation above the toilet. BUT - we had the vent closed off, and we've checked that vent & there is no condensation at all on the grille.

What in the world could be causing this?

I doubt that it is related, but it may be - that after two of us shower, one of the shower heads keeps dripping water for hours after the showers are over.

I have ZERO confidence in the plumber who did our plumbing (new house), as all of our faucets splash, and our hot water does not work properly. He also "forgot" to install a hose bib in front of house (where many plants are supposed to be) or anywhere near the front, and there is no water shut off valve near the washing machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 10:07 PM

12,866 posts, read 49,793,964 times
What is the shower walls?
What is the shower floor?

My hunch is the walls/floor is leaking.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:03 AM

2,519 posts, read 3,207,338 times
"There is no trace of water from the shower to the toilet area." "It is as though water is rising up from under the tile".

What do you observe when you sit in front of the toilet, while the shower is running long enough to cause the leak ? Can you see the water beginning to pool ? Prove/disprove the shower floor/wall leakage by removing the shower drain cover and placing a garden water hose directly into the drain and turn on the water. Does the leak still appear ? Does water also back up into the shower ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-30-2019, 07:02 AM

There is no water along the walls at all, nor anywhere on the floor except a puddle that seems to be centered on the grout. Have tried to replicate by sitting for a while while the shower is running, but have never seen water rising - only see the water sometime after the shower.

If the wall (drywall) is leaking, the wall does not get wet, and any leak then is going under the tile floor & coming up somehow.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:37 AM

You still didn't answer my questions-

Old 09-30-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You still didn't answer my questions-
Thought I did - drywall and tile.

As I said, the wall has no moisture nor does the floor near the wall. Only water is in the puddles in the middle of the water closet

Old 09-30-2019, 10:12 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,442,148 times
Try putting paper towels in various areas around the shower, the wall and the toilet area. Also put towels around the water connections for the toilet and on the floor by the toilet's base. See which ones get wet.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:15 AM

4,309 posts, read 21,086,551 times
It could be the shower pan has a leak. It also could be a leak in the one shower control that seems to be in use when the leak occurs. I'm leaning on the second shower control since you say it only occurs when that one is used.

I would run the suspected shower control and closely inspect the floor around the toilet during the test. You should be able to pinpoint where the leak is starting on the floor. The water could be flowing under the sill plate (inside the wall cavity) and coming out near the wall at the toilet. My guess is there is a leak in the wall cavity, and only leaks when the shower control is on.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Thought I did - drywall and tile.

As I said, the wall has no moisture nor does the floor near the wall. Only water is in the puddles in the middle of the water closet
In other words, you don't know.

As BS was lamenting to-
If the floor of the shower is tile, the liner could be leaking. If the walls are tile they could be leaking at the point of contact with the floor tile- assuming the liner wasn't installed properly (if at all!).

Then, there is the possibility of the valve leaking- that can be easily diagnosed by removing the eschusion around the valve and looking inside the wall cavity at the valve and the plumbing connections. You can also check the goosenecks by pulling out the eschusion from the wall- see if water is leaking where the gooseneck screws into the elbow.

Since this is on a slab- clearly the water is following a path of least resistance- and probably a slight slope in the slab. Depending on the age of the house and/or the concrete acidity/ and if the supply lines were sleeved properly (assuming they are copper)- it's possible to have a leak right were the supply line comes through the concrete and wall plate. But, that wouldn't play into the fact that this only happens when the water is actually on.

The tile walls of the shower should not be over drywall. The liner for the floor should extend at least 12" above the floor onto the walls. The Durock (base material for walls done correctly) would overlap the liner, and it also would be waterproofed with something like RedGard.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:22 PM

1,900 posts, read 858,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
We have the weirdest thing happening. We have a walk-in shower, with 2 shower heads, and next to the shower is our water closet. When each of us shower back to back, a lot of water pools on the floor of the water closet, in front of the toilet. This does not happen if only one person showers, or each of us showers far apart. There is no trace of water from the shower to the toilet area. It is as though water is rising up from under the tile. Is this possible? The plumber who installed the plumbing under the slab says this has nothing to do with the plumbing, and blames the A/C vent condensation above the toilet. BUT - we had the vent closed off, and we've checked that vent & there is no condensation at all on the grille.

What in the world could be causing this?

I doubt that it is related, but it may be - that after two of us shower, one of the shower heads keeps dripping water for hours after the showers are over.

I have ZERO confidence in the plumber who did our plumbing (new house), as all of our faucets splash, and our hot water does not work properly. He also "forgot" to install a hose bib in front of house (where many plants are supposed to be) or anywhere near the front, and there is no water shut off valve near the washing machine.
Sounds like you might have a blockage in the drain lines. Two showers running and more water goes in the drain causing it to flow back up from the bottom of the toilet. Get a plumber out to clear the line. If you have no confidence in that plumber get another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or