Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 07:33 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
This fridge here, the freezer opens like the fridge. I bought the one which opens like a drawer. I appreciate your info. Thanks ago.
Good choice! I have the door that swings out but the drawer would be fine too. May you have many happy years together!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 08:13 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
You do seem to be coming across as someone who has to find fault with all suggestions even when they’re perfectly reasonable. Do you want solutions or do you just want us to feel sorry for you?
1. Modify the space to fit the fridge you want
2. Buy the $2,000 fridge that fits your space
3. Buy the best quality fridge you can afford to fit the space until you have the funds to do #1.
4. Get a refrigerator that fits the space and get an upright separate freezer if you have the space.

There are plenty of options available to you. Just pick one and stop attacking others.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:45 PM

220 posts, read 133,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Good choice! I have the door that swings out but the drawer would be fine too. May you have many happy years together!
Just got done reading the reviews on it and someone mentioned there is not a lot of room in the freezer. Are you finding this? And maybe the one you have has more room? Doesn't matter, just asking. I can't get a pizza box in the one I have now. I usually make my own.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:29 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If I understand correctly you have a space that's of insufficient height to fit a larger fridge, probably in an older house. I guarantee you it is possible to cut or remove the cabinets above the fridge. You need to be in touch with someone who has more imagination than your "repair guy" who told you it's "very difficult".
I live in a 104-year-old house and had a similar problem. I simply removed a cabinet which was too low in order to fit in the new, taller fridge. I've never had a fridge with an ice maker. I just use ice cube trays. Easy peasy!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:40 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
Just got done reading the reviews on it and someone mentioned there is not a lot of room in the freezer. Are you finding this? And maybe the one you have has more room? Doesn't matter, just asking. I can't get a pizza box in the one I have now. I usually make my own.
I remember reading a review like that and thought it might be too small. But I've managed just fine. I do have to be very organized and everything has its place but I have more in there than I thought possible. I don't know about a pizza box - haven't tried that. I generally repackage things like that in individual freezer bags so they'll fit in nooks and crannies or layer them. It's easier when I just want one of something, too. Mine is exactly like yours.

Edited to add: I just looked it up and Whirlpool makes Amana - no wonder they're identical!

Old 10-02-2019, 08:47 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
I went thru this 20 years ago. Pulled my hair out running around. I did not alter cabinets but did find a unit that was responsibly close. Expensive.

Fast forward to 5 years ago. That unit died. I did not want to run around looking so went to HD and bought an old style freezer on top unit. Over 1000 very good reviews. It has an ice maker. Stainless steel front. 5 years add on warranty (I know). In the house for less than 1K. I figure when it dies I replace with same.

Very happy.

I no longer spend big bucks on appliances. Mid range is fine for me..

Old 10-02-2019, 09:10 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
The cabinet above the fridge is pretty easy to remove usually. Screws in the wall and screws into the adjoining cupboard. We just took ours down and shortened it, but you could just take it down because it sounds like you need 5 or more inches for a taller fridge.

We just got a new stainless steel. Delivered. Just took off the protective plastic film days later and found a big dent horizontally on the door! So have get it replaced. If you get one delivered take the plastic off in front of the delivery guy and inspect it for dents in front of him.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:37 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post

We just got a new stainless steel. Delivered. Just took off the protective plastic film days later and found a big dent horizontally on the door! So have get it replaced. If you get one delivered take the plastic off in front of the delivery guy and inspect it for dents in front of him.
Our delivery guy pulled the plastic off ours and discovered a dent (I would have *never* noticed). Offered to replace the part (it was the door - on the narrow piece of the inner face) or take a discount. They credited me $300 for it. Worth it.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:40 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
So you just agreed that to keep the same interior volume and make it shallower you've got to go either wider or taller. Yep, width X depth X height - funny how that works.

Whoever it was that suggested the solution for a space that's too short and narrow for the person who wants a bigger fridge - was to get one that's shallower too, obviously missed that day in elementary school math class.

OP, just cut the bottoms of the cabinets above the space, so you're not locked into some exotic fridge size. Fridges are just getting bigger and bigger anyway. Down the road when your exotic one that just fits into the space and took you weeks to find craps out, it'll be even harder to find a replacement. You want to be able to go down to the local appliance dealer and have a selection on the floor right then that you can pay for and have delivered the next day, not some unicorn refrigerator.
Was this an argument?

Old 10-02-2019, 10:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Was this an argument?
No. Someone suggested (not you) that the solution was "get a counter depth fridge", in other words, that the solution for someone with a short narrow space, who wanted a bigger fridge than would fit, was to select for that space a fridge that was also shallower. In other words, the person who was absent that day in fifth grade when they explained how to calculate the volume of a rectangular prism. Not you.

Anyway, I think my post was kind of unclear that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House