U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2019, 11:51 AM

10,469 posts, read 8,487,948 times

Advertisements

Any experience or accuracies with these home DIY test kits? Weíre considering using one mainly to test for lead among other possible contaminates. Weíve recently moved and the town had recently modernized their water treatment plant but the supply pipes are over 50 years old. Weíre currently using water filter pitcher and will be connecting the refrigerator to the water supply for the ice and water dispenser in the door (no fitting behind refrigerator, have to run a line to connect) and it also has a built in filter. Want to test the water straight from the tap, after passing through pitcher filter, and after refrigerator filter. Most expensive DIY kit Iíve found was about $38. More accurate kits cost about $10 but require mailing off to a lab for an additional cost of over $40 depending on level of testing required. I perform various chemical water test at work in a hospital boiler room so Iím very familiar with operating such test. If I bring my sample at work I can test pH, alkalinity, hardness, and chlorides. The other test we perform involve testing levels of water treatment chemicals we add for boiler and cooling tower water treatment so they wouldnít be needed nor work for a home test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

29,241 posts, read 63,558,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Any experience or...
START with the data that is published by your Municipal Water System.
Based on that you can KNOW what to be looking for.
Then you can test for what might concern you.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
START with the data that is published by your Municipal Water System.
Based on that you can KNOW what to be looking for.
Then you can test for what might concern you.
I donít know the source of their sample. If their source is at the plant then itís missing the various things that the water can pick up from the pipes to my home. If the source of the sample is away from the plant but at a place with recently replaced pipes then the test wonít match the sample at my home. My main concern is the possibility of lead from old pipes.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

9,470 posts, read 8,720,043 times
I have a local lab I use for testing samples. I think each sample costs about $40, but they test for lead, copper, etc.

No reason to do it myself when somebody else can do so for minimal cost

Old Today, 04:17 AM

29,241 posts, read 63,558,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If their source is at the plant then it’s missing
the various things that the water can pick up from the pipes (CLOSER to and IN) my home.
Of course it can't... but you still need the baseline.

Quote:
My main concern is the possibility of lead from old pipes.
Because that's what is in the news?

Old Today, 10:14 AM

6,800 posts, read 3,752,167 times
I used one of the kits from Amazon before buying my current home. My agent was amused because it’s not done around here. The water quality test used reagents and you then compared the results to a color chart for several tests.

I also used a TDS tester. Both together cost me around $30 or so.

I ultimately installed a whole house filter but nothing came back of major concern with the quick tests.

Old Today, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Of course it can't... but you still need the baseline.

Because that's what is in the news?
Two reasons. First, I know the water pipes in this town are old and some areas havenít been replaced. There have been some work on the water system because of recent work on improving drainage from recent floods. Some sections of roads and bridges were ripped up to replace supports (bridges) and culverts that were clogged or damaged. All that work can stir up various minerals in the existing pipes. Second reason is Iíve already been exposed to a dangerous amount of lead from my time in the Navy working with lead paint. We werenít given proper respirators for chipping layers of lead paint. We only found out later the paint was lead based. Donít want to be exposed to more lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or