U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
 
Location: planet earth
5,436 posts, read 2,108,935 times
Reputation: 12114

Advertisements

I live in California and am thinking about purchasing a Pied a Terre in NYC. California would still be my primary residence, but I might live in NYC "a lot" (Springs and Falls, and whenever else I feel like it).

I am trying to figure out how I would reduce hotel costs while I furnish it . . . I guess the bed could be a first purchase and then everything else could come later.

I am going to keep it very simple because I don't want to spend a lot to furnish it (and it will probably be teeny-tiny - most likely, a studio).

I figure I will need:

* Bed or futon - or maybe I should just get a couch first because I might want to purchase a Murphy bed
* Very basic kitchen stuff (just the bare essentials pots, pans, silverware, coffee maker/grinder, toaster, utensils garbage receptacles)
* Shower curtain, waste basket, etc.
* Small hand vacuum, broom, mop
* Sheets, blankets

I can get the other stuff (art, etc.) later.

Do you have any advice on how to reduce the hotel costs while I am getting set up or anything else I should think about?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
 
339 posts, read 76,180 times
Reputation: 683
Just start with a high-quality air mattress, a Target trip and some take-out. Bring the bedding in a suitcase and have Amazon deliver the air mattress the day you intend to move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
 
Location: planet earth
5,436 posts, read 2,108,935 times
Reputation: 12114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Just start with a high-quality air mattress, a Target trip and some take-out. Bring the bedding in a suitcase and have Amazon deliver the air mattress the day you intend to move in.
Thank you. These are the types of things that are not obvious to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,970 posts, read 3,412,503 times
Reputation: 27125
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I live in California and am thinking about purchasing a Pied a Terre in NYC. California would still be my primary residence, but I might live in NYC "a lot" (Springs and Falls, and whenever else I feel like it).

I am trying to figure out how I would reduce hotel costs while I furnish it . . . I guess the bed could be a first purchase and then everything else could come later.

I am going to keep it very simple because I don't want to spend a lot to furnish it (and it will probably be teeny-tiny - most likely, a studio).

I figure I will need:

* Bed or futon - or maybe I should just get a couch first because I might want to purchase a Murphy bed
* Very basic kitchen stuff (just the bare essentials pots, pans, silverware, coffee maker/grinder, toaster, utensils garbage receptacles)
* Shower curtain, waste basket, etc.
* Small hand vacuum, broom, mop
* Sheets, blankets

I can get the other stuff (art, etc.) later.

Do you have any advice on how to reduce the hotel costs while I am getting set up or anything else I should think about?

Thanks
Get basic houseware stuff at non-profit/charitable thrift shops. Save $ and do a bit of good for someone else at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
 
339 posts, read 76,180 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Thank you. These are the types of things that are not obvious to me.
It dawned on me to do this when I did what I knew would be a relatively short term relo a couple years back.

I rented a studio apt, brought my "bed" in this way and some clothes and then dropped a couple hundred at Target on the "staples" like cleaning stuff, towels, etc.

This gave me a few weeks to shop around for deals on a murphy bed/bookcase thing that was really sweet - I'd highly recommend that over a futon or fold-out couch. There's something about sleeping on the couch as a grown adult that just kinda sucks.

This thing is really similar to what I found on Craigslist for a lot less (but I did have to pick it up, etc.

https://murphybeddepot.com/collectio...ic-library-bed

The 3 or 4 (at least) hotel nights you'd probably save would likely pay for the bed itself. I did find that a drastic downsizing required some real thinking when it came to furniture, and I had a few key pieces that really help to save clutter and space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek, GA
12,883 posts, read 49,828,478 times
Reputation: 14833
If rumblings of that tax bill come up again, I wouldn't do it.

I'm sure your annual cost will outweigh a few hotel stays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:17 AM
 
998 posts, read 156,710 times
Reputation: 676
You could completely eliminate hotel expenses once you close on your apartment. Everyday household essentials and food will be easily accessible to you once you're there. I recommend something like this to sleep on. Incredibly comfortable. https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Elevate...SIN=B07F39F6XR

Last edited by barb712; Today at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Central IL
15,556 posts, read 8,900,169 times
Reputation: 36601
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I live in California and am thinking about purchasing a Pied a Terre in NYC. California would still be my primary residence, but I might live in NYC "a lot" (Springs and Falls, and whenever else I feel like it).

I am trying to figure out how I would reduce hotel costs while I furnish it . . . I guess the bed could be a first purchase and then everything else could come later.

I am going to keep it very simple because I don't want to spend a lot to furnish it (and it will probably be teeny-tiny - most likely, a studio).

I figure I will need:

* Bed or futon - or maybe I should just get a couch first because I might want to purchase a Murphy bed
* Very basic kitchen stuff (just the bare essentials pots, pans, silverware, coffee maker/grinder, toaster, utensils garbage receptacles)
* Shower curtain, waste basket, etc.
* Small hand vacuum, broom, mop
* Sheets, blankets

I can get the other stuff (art, etc.) later.

Do you have any advice on how to reduce the hotel costs while I am getting set up or anything else I should think about?

Thanks
You're worried about hotel costs while "furnishing" an apartment (condo?) that you're buying for hundreds of thousands of dollars in NYC? You can mail order ANYTHING, even a mattress....you can furnish the basics in a day for under $1,000. What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:55 AM
 
Location: planet earth
5,436 posts, read 2,108,935 times
Reputation: 12114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
It dawned on me to do this when I did what I knew would be a relatively short term relo a couple years back.

I rented a studio apt, brought my "bed" in this way and some clothes and then dropped a couple hundred at Target on the "staples" like cleaning stuff, towels, etc.

This gave me a few weeks to shop around for deals on a murphy bed/bookcase thing that was really sweet - I'd highly recommend that over a futon or fold-out couch. There's something about sleeping on the couch as a grown adult that just kinda sucks.

This thing is really similar to what I found on Craigslist for a lot less (but I did have to pick it up, etc.

https://murphybeddepot.com/collectio...ic-library-bed

The 3 or 4 (at least) hotel nights you'd probably save would likely pay for the bed itself. I did find that a drastic downsizing required some real thinking when it came to furniture, and I had a few key pieces that really help to save clutter and space.
That's a perfect Murphy bed for a small apartment. I would have to have it delivered and set up, though.

Great link. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:56 AM
 
Location: planet earth
5,436 posts, read 2,108,935 times
Reputation: 12114
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712 View Post
You could completely eliminate hotel expenses once you close on your apartment. Everyday household essentials and food will be easily accessible to you once you're there. I recommend something like this to sleep on. Incredibly comfortable. https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Elevate...SIN=B07F39F6XR
Thanks - are these easy to set up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top