U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 10:21 AM

18,864 posts, read 8,586,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Same here in 1960. My parents invented control freakery. Their child was their possession, and it infuriated them both that I was growing up into another human being and not a second dog.

I left like the released prisoners did: new suit, small suitcase and $50.00. And my parents ridiculing me that I would be calling up in two weeks begging for them to come and get me.

They died without every getting that call.
Yup, sounds all too familiar. 1966 for me.

I am bemused by young people nowadays choosing to live at home throughout their 20s. In general, most of our generation couldn't wait to get out on our own, regardless of how little money we had. Even those of us who got along with their parents.

I knew couples who deliberately got pregnant so they'd "have" to get married in order to manage to get away. That was too drastic for me, but I understood the motivation!

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-05-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 10:49 AM

13 posts, read 850 times
I pretty much moved out when I was 18, graduated from high school, and went off to college. I did return the summer after my freshman year, but I had the graveyard shift at my place of employment, so I did not see my parents or sisters much. The next summer I went to summer school, and the summers after that I moved to various locations on the west coast for internships positions. When I graduated from college, I moved several states away for my first job.

Our son lived at home while he attended a local college, and moved away when he got a job. Our daughter also lived at home while she attended a local college, and just recently moved away to attend another college full time. We did not mind them living at home; they did their own laundry, helped out when asked, watched the house while we went on vacation and lived overseas for a couple of years, etc.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:26 PM

4,574 posts, read 4,034,611 times
Got a job and got married after college. Went from graduation to apartment and employment then got married. Was 24 at the time (I worked a few years before college).

Old 10-05-2019, 03:26 PM

9,381 posts, read 8,107,829 times
Because the US Navy demanded, as part of my enlistment that I live with them, not Mommy and Daddy.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:27 PM

56,249 posts, read 75,410,412 times
They sent me to live with my grandfather at 13

Old 10-05-2019, 05:26 PM

4,497 posts, read 1,812,182 times
"Why did you move out of your parents home?"

graduated high school.
applied to 3 colleges.
accepted at all.
could pay for one.
college girls.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:40 PM

10,006 posts, read 7,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Turned 18. Was still in high school. Had a job. Couldn't wait to get out of the crazy home I was living in. Got an apartment in a horrible part of the town where I was going to high school. Finished high school while living on my own in basically a ghetto apartment.

In hindsight, it's amazing nothing bad happened to me. Where I got an apartment on my own, was full of drug dealers and prostitutes, etc. They all took on the role of my protectors. I just got lucky or blessed.

I finished high school despite lots of problems mostly caused by a high school administration trying to force me to have a relationship with my abusive family. Honestly, it's amazing I graduated. I guess it was just my Irish/French genes that gave me the attitude that nobody was going to keep me from graduating from high school, no matter what.

Now, in my old age, that sounds so exhausting. But, I admire my moxy. In spite of a family and a system trying to hold me down, I prevailed solely due to my tenacity. Dang, those were tough times. It could have played out in so may different ways. And even though I had a couple adults sort of help me along the way, none of them were willing to stick their necks out very far to help me. It really was all on me. God, now I feel so sorry for that kid - that was me.

As far as why I left home - it was extremely abusive both physically and emotionally. Think Mommy Dearest at level 10.

Not having that parental or adult support might well be what gave you that "moxy", strength and determination to make it on your own. Kind of a "sink or swim" mentality. I've often thought the same for myself and my siblings, who had little to no parental support even in our younger years.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:47 PM

7,877 posts, read 9,290,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyKills View Post
thought i would start this thread as there could be various answers to this question

i moved out when i was 21 because i got a job in the South of the USA , i live in the North of the USA so it made sense.
Because I had a job and cut the damn cord and acted like an adult.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:22 PM

25,731 posts, read 24,647,905 times
To get out of my mother's grasp, talons.

Old Yesterday, 03:23 AM

288 posts, read 160,737 times
Why, or when?

I left for college out of state at 17. Came home for a couple of holidays and one summer vacation, then got engaged my sophomore year and my parents were *not* pleased. A variety of factors led to my decision to leave the expensive private school I couldn't afford after that year, and as I was not interested in going home to lectures about how I was ruining my life, the fiancé and I spent a month with his parents before moving into our first apartment at 19.

We got married the next fall and will celebrate 18 years later this month. I think my parents finally got over it around when I told them their first grandchild was on the way three years ago. :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or