U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 04:03 AM

6,680 posts, read 3,126,866 times

Advertisements

Lived under the foster care system. At 18 the state released my status from foster child to ...Get a move on and get out!

So it was.

PS: Pros of being in a foster home....No one was a parent. Cons of being in a foster home. No one was a parent. Think about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 05:43 AM

2,496 posts, read 2,502,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Lived under the foster care system. At 18 the state released my status from foster child to ...Get a move on and get out!

So it was.

PS: Pros of being in a foster home....No one was a parent. Cons of being in a foster home. No one was a parent. Think about it...

Yes, that much is quite apparent.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun!)

Old 10-06-2019, 06:16 AM

4,428 posts, read 1,279,727 times
I was kicked out of my parents religion (Jehovahs Wittness) a week before I turned 18. Within a few days I was told to leave. Hopped in my $100 Corvair, moved in with a friend and never looked back. Best move I ever made.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:34 AM

2,496 posts, read 2,502,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Same here in 1960. My parents invented control freakery. Their child was their possession, and it infuriated them both that I was growing up into another human being and not a second dog.

I left like the released prisoners did: new suit, small suitcase and $50.00. And my parents ridiculing me that I would be calling up in two weeks begging for them to come and get me.

They died without every getting that call.

(Per the underlined text in your quote seen above): No, that can't be . . . for your parents must have learned "control freakery" from MY parents. My parents wanted to own my soul and being and have me function in life as a knock-off of them. Such an innate disrespect for my inherent dignity, personhood, and self-esteem. Not that every single choice or decision I made while living with them as a teen was the wisest or most ideal, but I need to be my own person and not demeaned and emasculated for it. They'd even force me (as a teen) to work with them in their business oftentimes when not attending school (even on weekends); to try to shape me into an ethnic-preoccupied and religion-centered person (this was critically important to them, being of Jewish background); to choose my friends or prospective female dating or love interests; and so on.

I ran away once at 15 and twice at 16 before finally leaving my parents permanently a bit later in time at age 16. And I never lived with them in the same household ever again (they are both deceased now and I am a senior in the second half of my 60s per this typing). I've visited with them enough times through my adult years (and they visited me some times) and stayed with them in their home as a visitor many times over the decades but their home (wherever their home happened to be situated over time) was never my official residence ever again. i always had another place to call home from age 16-onward.

One time, when I was living in another metro area apart from them (I was 40 at the time), I was willing to move back to their metro area and establish myself there again work-wise/career-wise and otherwise . . . to have an extended family life with them (and other relatives in the region) and to let them have more regular time with their son and to be there for them if they needed me to be (with them being seniors by then and retired). I was looking at apartments in their metro area to rent and yet they insisted that I move into their home with them to live there as a way-of-life! I said " I am already now a middle-aged man and I am supposed to move in with mommy and daddy at this age and stage in life? What will this do to my social life and love life prospects? What woman is going to respect and get involved with a man who is a middle-aged or older man already and still living with his parents??!!!!???!!????" Yet they couldn't appreciate this point and just wanted to own my soul. I could even live rather nearby to them and that is not good enough for them? (I keep saying "them" but it was nearly always my mother who did all the arguing with me). So I'm expected by them (actually, by my mother) to have to live in the same household as my parents (with myself being a grown middle-aged or older-aged man by that time) . . . like a little child who never quite launched in life???!!????

It just goes to show you how utterly narcissistic my parents (actually my mother, more than my father) were. Like they seemingly can't step outside themselves and see it from my perspective and hence care about their son's dignity and fulfillment in life? Well, after our arguing and fallout over the matter, early the next morning, I left them and visited the realtor of the apartment I'd signed up for to rent in their metro area to cancel the rental plans and then returned back to my own metro area in another state.

Some of us don't get endowed with the most ideal parents. For those of you that did, count your blessings.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:06 PM

18,596 posts, read 23,949,973 times
at 18 while still in high school at home I had to pay rent..

I moved in with my grandmother ...she was sickly .. and it was closer for the advancement I just got

Old 10-06-2019, 03:07 PM

12,921 posts, read 10,240,741 times
I moved out because the good schools that had good professors were in other cities, nothing really good in my hometown, or even within a 50-mile radius.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:06 PM

12,891 posts, read 49,865,304 times
Sounds like a trick question to me!

Old 10-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Status: "Waiting for the endless summer to end." (set 19 days ago)

323 posts, read 173,543 times
Didn't officially move out until 27.
Moved due to the one hour commute to work, also worried that the housing prices would continue to go up.
Worked as a truck & bus driver for a couple years before moving out, so I wasn't home most of the time.
Staying on the other side of the U.S for almost a year when I was 26, but moved back in for a few weeks so it doesn't count.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:29 PM

21,675 posts, read 12,319,587 times
Went away to college, although I did come back for summers for a couple of years while I lived in a dorm. Once I was in a rental share, I stayed there in summers and didn't live at home again

Old 10-06-2019, 09:13 PM

5,075 posts, read 7,772,443 times
I was 17, just graduated from high school so it was time to go and get on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or