U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM

11,051 posts, read 4,169,653 times

Advertisements

Moved out right before my 21st birthday. I moved out because I had a great job and was able to support myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

24,673 posts, read 18,377,214 times
I bounced around between living with partners and at home between 18 and 25. I moved across the country for a job and stayed gone about five years. Lived at home for a year when I was 30 because I wasn't sure how the new job would work out, and didn't plan on staying.

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

3,190 posts, read 2,362,161 times
Parents were divorced, mom lived an hour away. Dad met another woman and moved in with her. After 3 years, I think I was 21 at the time, he wanted to move back in the house, so I moved out. Really just next door. Dad died in 99, and I moved back in the house after an extensive remodel in 01. So I knida didnt really move out.

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

1,086 posts, read 775,970 times
Moved out at 18 because I was ready to adult, wanted my own space, and had enough saved + a job that I could afford both a inexpensive in-state university and the rent on a room in a shared house.

I have good parents, but living on my own was bliss.

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

15,024 posts, read 8,813,433 times
Shouldn't this be in non romantic relationships? But it's a good topic, OP. I moved out at 15. My mother was mentally ill and I was taking care of her rather than the reverse.

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

15,081 posts, read 19,975,843 times
My dad left the country (went back home)

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,323,228 times
I moved out for my sanity. Shortly after my 18th birthday, I joined the Air Force to get out of there as quickly as I could possibly. But, I didn't actually go in until a few months before my 19th birthday.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mother dearly, and had a much better relationship with her from a distance. I could talk to her on the phone for hours but I got in the same room with her, I would be ready to pull my hair out. I could only take her in small dosages. Unfortunately, that lasted until she passed away.

Cat

Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

820 posts, read 255,303 times
I moved out because it was part of a natural progression to full adulthood for which I'd been prepared since early childhood.
(Graduation from high school, then college before transferring to another school out-of-state to work and complete my education.)

With the exception of being home for college breaks, I've not lived at home with my parents since I was eighteen years old, although I do spend as much time as I can with my folks because I really do enjoy their company.

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,848,934 times
I was 23 in 1970, and rented a house with a couple of friends the year before I went back to finish my college degree. It was time to be a grownup, and actually felt guilty I hadn't moved out a couple years earlier. That was the end of my living at home.

Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

758 posts, read 298,778 times
Left home the first time at age 18 to attend an out-of-state college. My internship/co-op was in my hometown, so I moved back during those particular semesters. Returned permanently at age 23 after graduating, then left home again at age 25 to move in with my (now ex-) girlfriend. Left a few months later to truly live on my own, due to a job offer multiple states away.

I love my parents, but I am quite fond of having space away from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or