U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 02:12 PM

1,829 posts, read 858,154 times

Advertisements

Went to college out-of-state, but I don't think that really counts unless you're supporting yourself, which I was not.

Moved back in with my tail between my legs at 22 when I couldn't get a job in my field before I graduated. I was pretty depressed. I hated being treated like a child, compounded by the fact that my failure to get a job did make me look less mature in my parents' eyes. And I couldn't stand the social stigma of being unemployed, a virgin (which would work itself out in time), and living with my parents - which I think is a more negative stereotype if you're male.

Just getting some minimum-wage job and moving into the city of Chicago (we were in the suburbs) with a few other guys and splitting rent would have gotten me out of the house, but I didn't want to be stuck in Chicago for the rest of my life. In retrospect, I guess I could've just caught a plane to some random city and done the same thing, but the process of actually moving cities seemed like a huge, mysterious undertaking at the time.

(Anyway, happy ending. I eventually found this coding bootcamp in the DC area, took the opportunity in a heartbeat, and now work in software development.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 02:20 PM

2,533 posts, read 1,300,893 times
18, to go to school. I had never heard of anyone staying home after age 18, and it never occurred to me to stay home. At 18, out you go.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:04 PM

7,719 posts, read 1,767,140 times
I did not want to be an unpaid "employee" (babysitter, cook and house cleaner) any longer.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:31 PM

7,610 posts, read 2,760,118 times
I was 22. I wanted to be able to do what I wanted to do, and go where I wanted to go without anyone telling me different.

Moved in with 2 room mates. Those days were some of the most fun days of my life.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:20 PM

26,641 posts, read 33,681,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyKills View Post
thought i would start this thread as there could be various answers to this question

i moved out when i was 21 because i got a job in the South of the USA , i live in the North of the USA so it made sense.
I moved out when I was 23. I had a blow-up with my mom, one that was the last straw. I was over it. And it was time.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:23 AM

2,663 posts, read 981,362 times
My parents were mean. They wouldn't let me have sleepovers with my boyfriends. So I moved out at 22 after I got my degree and my first Real Job after college. It also happened to be 5 hours away from my home town. I got a nice little apartment, all to myself, and I was in hog heaven.

I couldn't believe my brother, who was one year younger. He got a job in a town an hour away after graduation but continued to live with our parents even though he made a bit more than I did. This was Ohio in 1976, and commutes that long were almost unheard-of. After about a year, Dad's job took him to Buffalo and my brother had to move out since parents were moving. He wasn't great on his own- he fixed steak every night because he didn't know how to cook anything else. He eventually married and they're still happily married, but I couldn't believe the difference in our temperaments.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:20 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,314,357 times
17. Went to the “other” state university 3hrs away. Lived in dorms the first year, but came back that first summer for a month and realized I did not want to live there ever again and so far have not. My now-wife and I rented a small patio home where college was. I got a job working as a line cook in a restaurant and worked there full time for most of college. She bounced around a bit as a server and we got by. That was a difficult time but looking back it was awesome too.

My folks moved out of state right after I finished my undergrad. I, ironically, came back to the same metro go to grad school but live on the other (more hip) side of town. I haven’t been to my hometown in probably 7 years. Last time I was over there I went to a restaurant and saw people I knew in high school (not a fan of that awkward interaction)

Old 10-08-2019, 09:49 AM

13,361 posts, read 24,830,521 times
My siblings and I grew up with a single mother in an apartment in a Southern California city.

Two weeks before I turned 18 (the year was 2001), my mother had a seizure in our kitchen while she was preparing to leave for work. When I had gotten home from school (I was taking classes at a community college), I found the apartment vacant and unlocked with everything still on (very unusual). A few moments later, my 6 year old sister called from the hospital informing me of what happened. Mother was diagnosed with brain cancer later that day.

I spent the next 2 years shuttling my mom to appointments and treatments what felt like daily. I worked graveyard shifts and would immediately head home to take her to the hospital. I would sleep in the car or in waiting rooms. I became our household's sole breadwinner.

In the summer of 2003, Mother went into remission. She began looking for homes in more affordable areas within CA (she didn't want to complicate her health care). My mother found a new house in a town two hours away, and used some money she had hidden for the previous ten years as the down payment.

Having been tired and restrained by the experience as a newly minted adult, and not wanting to follow her to the new town, I took the opportunity to move out. A guy I worked with was also looking for a new place, so we rented an apartment together about 20 miles away.

Once I got the keys, I folded my twin mattress into the back of my trunk, drove up there, carried the mattress up to my new apartment, and plopped it down at my new home and took a nap.

Spoiler:
Spoiler
6 months later, I follow my mom to the new town. Another 6 months after that, her cancer comes back, this time much worse. The following 6 months I retake the role as her caregiver. I meet a girl. The state/county puts Mom into a nursing home. Girl and I get serious. Girl and I move in together. 8 months later mom dies (). 14 years later (today), girl has been my wife for 10 years.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:48 AM

10,958 posts, read 10,490,084 times
I was 18, about to turn 19. My mom and I are close, but I am very very independent and the minute I got the means to move, I moved and have been gone ever since.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:57 AM

8,624 posts, read 6,494,968 times
Because, though I grew up in a loving, supportive household and have/had a generally great relationship with my parents, I wanted to be able to take a date back home, to not be asked when I'd be coming home, to no longer be told about cleaning my room, etc, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or