Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 02:04 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Its a very old farmhouse in southern Arkansas. No furnace let alone central air. There are couple existing old window air conditioners.

For me air conditioning just has a cold clammy feeling. Hot and humid is more comfortable if there is some shade and a fan. Also big shock on my system everytime I go outside.
If you can persuade yourself that you are comfortable with no AC then go for it.

Expect difficulty in selling if you ever have to sell however. There aren't very many places in the US where you can easily sell a house without AC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 04:46 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
If you can persuade yourself that you are comfortable with no AC then go for it.

Expect difficulty in selling if you ever have to sell however. There aren't very many places in the US where you can easily sell a house without AC.

LOL, the two old houses on this property are long past having serious value in of themselves, the value is in the 60A land. Old friend and I neither had children, this place has house for each of us plus couple good wells. She and I are going to be each others support system long as we can. We figure living close like this, give best chance of us remaining independent for longest time possible. Right now we live far enough apart that best we can do is moral support.

Somebody in future wants air conditioning I suspect either house, just get two or three cheapie window units.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You might want to check into mini split systems for both heating and cooling. Good for old houses that don't have ductwork. And remember, air conditioners don't have to be set to near freezing levels. They have thermostats you know.

I can't imagine living in S Arkansas without a/c. Good luck to you.

I have lived in northern Arkansas last 20 years with no air conditioning. Not huge difference. High ceiling and fan makes lot difference. In part of my current house with high ceiling can be comfortable with just a little desk fan. In area with low ceiling, takes three large fans going full blast for same comfort. My current house is pretty well shaded. What amazes me is people lived in this kind climate before electric without fans. Even worse, people lived in real tropics before electric. In tropics, altitude is only way to escape heat and humidity. Or an underground cave I suppose.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:45 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
This is central entry room in our home in Mexico. It has a square "cupola" with windows on all 4 sides.
Does anybody have old house with a functional cupola?-gallery1.jpg

Does anybody have old house with a functional cupola?-gallery2.jpg

Old 10-08-2019, 07:47 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
No answer for cupola but im from Coastal North Carolina and the humidity is disgusting. 98 degrees and 90% humidity makes you want to vomit.
Those conditions don't happen at the same time. It may be 98 degrees at some point in the day and 90% RH at another, but not at the same time. That would give you a dew point of 95 degrees which would match the world record RH observed somewhere in Saudi Arabia.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
This is central entry room in our home in Mexico. It has a square "cupola" with windows on all 4 sides.
Attachment 215230

Attachment 215231

I like that!

Old 10-08-2019, 05:42 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
My brother lives in central part California, gets hot but not humid. They out in a whole house can about 8 years ago and they love it. It saves on electric they feel. They keep air temp on during day but in evening they open some windows and turn on the whole house can to suck in cooler night air. They don't run it all the time. It's very quiet. Even when turned on high (it makes curtains billow in a lot) it's still quiet.

Regarding houses with cupola. When I lived in Texas I went on a house tour of very old homes in a old town. A few of the really big ones (most of them were really big) Some had functional cupolas, along with a central open stair case below the cupolas that were for the air to pass up and out the cupolas. Also a feature were transoms (windows that could tilt open) above bedroom doors that would open for air to circulate. Another feature on some were the very large overhung porches that are on at least two sides of house, makes house cooler and helps the convection (movement of air) of air being drawn into lower level windows through house and up cupola....I became interested in it after seeing those beautiful houses so got a few books on it from library.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:22 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Those conditions don't happen at the same time. It may be 98 degrees at some point in the day and 90% RH at another, but not at the same time. That would give you a dew point of 95 degrees which would match the world record RH observed somewhere in Saudi Arabia.
point well made, but my point was that extreme heat coupled with extremely high humidity feels so hot that you feel like youre suffocating and a fan blowing hot air at you doesnt make you feel any cooler. Ive been in climates where 95 degrees didnt feel super awful because there was such low humidity. But with humidity, the heat is oppressive

Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I once lived in a house with a small 3rd floor loft accessed by a spiral staircase. Really.

It was hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It was pretty useless unless you wanted to sweat or freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House