U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 10:36 AM

47 posts, read 5,664 times

Advertisements

I know there has been some popularity of decorative cupolas. But I am curious if anybody has functional one and how well it does help cool house in summer? Just venting attic or venting whole house? Is it worth the bother?

I am moving to a house in warmer climate and dont particularly like air conditioning. Before air conditioning, high ceilings, properly oriented windows for prevailing breezes, and cupolas were way it was done. So thinking shade, fans, and maybe cupola be way to go? Course for poor people, they generally just slept outside on porch in hottest weather..... If you look at some older southern houses with an upstairs, then tended to have an upstairs balcony/porch, mostly for summer sleeping I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 05:58 PM

12,895 posts, read 49,877,587 times
A ridge vent is better at overall venting of an attic space versus "a" hole in the center of the roof.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:54 PM

25,755 posts, read 24,665,075 times
I won't get rid of humidity.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:44 AM

Having lived in relatively humid climate all my life, I've made peace with that. And yea I know I would be more comfortable in a high desert area.

I am thinking more of a cupola that acts as vent for living area. I remember as kid some houses had an attic fan to suck air from downstairs and apparently push it out some end vents in attic. Anyway this thing had serious motor and was noisy and expect ate quite bit electric.

No doubt instead of cupola, could have vaulted ceiling and ridge vent setup that could be shut in winter. Or possibly an openable skylight.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:46 AM

2,308 posts, read 1,451,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I know there has been some popularity of decorative cupolas. But I am curious if anybody has functional one and how well it does help cool house in summer? Just venting attic or venting whole house? Is it worth the bother?

I am moving to a house in warmer climate and dont particularly like air conditioning. Before air conditioning, high ceilings, properly oriented windows for prevailing breezes, and cupolas were way it was done. So thinking shade, fans, and maybe cupola be way to go? Course for poor people, they generally just slept outside on porch in hottest weather..... If you look at some older southern houses with an upstairs, then tended to have an upstairs balcony/porch, mostly for summer sleeping I think.

So how far south are you moving? Central air conditioning is not like having window units. I always found window units to make my sinuses get stuffed up. Central air doesn't do that.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:52 AM

6,771 posts, read 8,343,487 times
I would think cupolas are only good if at the center of a square shape with no interfering baffles (like walls and ceiling) in the way. They work on barns rather than houses. Or maybe square center hall architecture.

If you don’t want air conditioning then choose a home oriented to catch breezes, have lots of ceiling fans, and look for shade over the west side of the house.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So how far south are you moving? Central air conditioning is not like having window units. I always found window units to make my sinuses get stuffed up. Central air doesn't do that.

Its a very old farmhouse in southern Arkansas. No furnace let alone central air. There are couple existing old window air conditioners.

For me air conditioning just has a cold clammy feeling. Hot and humid is more comfortable if there is some shade and a fan. Also big shock on my system everytime I go outside.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:58 AM

472 posts, read 165,639 times
No answer for cupola but im from Coastal North Carolina and the humidity is disgusting. 98 degrees and 90% humidity makes you want to vomit. Maybe if you got a dehumidifier system if would help.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:35 PM

4,917 posts, read 3,324,936 times
Our house was built in 1865 and has a cupola. As for a "functional" one, it depends on the what the function is.

Cat

Old 10-07-2019, 12:50 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,451,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Its a very old farmhouse in southern Arkansas. No furnace let alone central air. There are couple existing old window air conditioners.

For me air conditioning just has a cold clammy feeling. Hot and humid is more comfortable if there is some shade and a fan. Also big shock on my system everytime I go outside.
You might want to check into mini split systems for both heating and cooling. Good for old houses that don't have ductwork. And remember, air conditioners don't have to be set to near freezing levels. They have thermostats you know.

I can't imagine living in S Arkansas without a/c. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or