U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 12:04 PM

653 posts, read 143,563 times

Advertisements

Houzz is a great place for artists and artisans to get business, too. A friend of mine uses that site to show off her faux painting business:

https://www.houzz.com/professionals/...-pf~1293400773

YOU may think that it's all big corporate marketing, but it's small business and artists, too. Why is supporting them a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 01:14 PM

4,174 posts, read 2,191,608 times
The only thing I dislike about Houzz is that they really don't show true examples of the styles they purport to represent. i.e. Craftsman, Rustic, Farmhouse, etc. All of the styles are really modern examples of what designers think those styles should be rather than the actual styles. For anyone who likes and buys antique or vintage homes and wants to have a really appropriate kitchen or bath, Houzz is pretty much useless, IMHO.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:27 PM

1,003 posts, read 158,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I think they are totally marketing ploys and they do create dissatisfaction. I gave up HOUZZ, apartment therapy and HGTV. I am much happier.
I second that emotion!

Old 10-07-2019, 05:45 PM

5,399 posts, read 10,005,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its interesting when people manufacture a reason for posting a thread to espouse their philosophy on something (in this case tossing out expensive home improvements and living simply).

why does it bother you to look at houzz if you dont want that stuff?
I understand your point and agree. For me, even though I don't want that stuff, looking at it still, despite my best intentions, makes me envious and I start comparing my home, decor, possessions. And, darn it, I start finding fault with what had made me previously content (human nature?)...

So I've stopped looking at those higher-end home and decor Websites and publications....why allow myself to harvest the seeds of discontent?

Old 10-07-2019, 06:06 PM

26,596 posts, read 33,649,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I've given up looking at Houzz. I feel much more content. The last straw was looking at outdoor patio rooms. So over the top.

Guess simple living is more my style. I just don't need or want an outdoor kitchen with a big fat BTU-burning appliance--or an over-the-top patio room with a huge fireplace and plush seating for 12.

How about you? Do you think these type of websites are designed to create envy and push us into buying pricey, unnecessary appliances and product?
No. I think they are to get ideas. If you don't desire over-the-top, then don't look at over-the-top.
I updated my kitchen in 2017/18, and I found HOUZZ to be so so useful...mostly for the forums. There are a lot of pros on the site that offer lots of advice and ideas, and constructive criticism as well. I found the site to be my most useful resource. I love the site, and I have related my own experiences there to help others.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:22 PM

381 posts, read 88,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I understand your point and agree. For me, even though I don't want that stuff, looking at it still, despite my best intentions, makes me envious and I start comparing my home, decor, possessions. And, darn it, I start finding fault with what had made me previously content (human nature?)...

So I've stopped looking at those higher-end home and decor Websites and publications....why allow myself to harvest the seeds of discontent?
No, that's not human nature.

The only thing I ever get super jealous of is when I walk into someone's house that is cleaner than mine, or I see an organized garage (Hey, I know where everything is in it).

Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM

4,510 posts, read 7,464,797 times
I was a member of Gardenweb, which was bought up by the massive marketing conglomerate now known as Houzz. Just as soon as that sell-out happened, it went downhill fast. You could tell that it was only bought as a marketing opportunity. An existing audience upon whom to foist junk advertising. I'd seen the same tactic for years in other areas (motorcycle forums, car forums, etc..) where those forums were bought up and turned into shameless marketing/advertising sites.

Since I'm not a fan of "bible thumpers" (anyone who endlessly pushes a product for their own gain, and yes those who push religion have personal gain from doing so), it didn't take long to abandon the site. Haven't been back other than the occasional search link, and even those I Try to pay attention to the source and avoid known junk sites, which Houzz definatly is.

I could care less what someone Else is doing. It's irrelevant to my life, has zero bearing. My housing is different, my taste is different, my budget is different, and I'm not out to impress anyone. "Ideas" come from the gifts, crafts/projects I do or unique items I buy ~ not some mass-produced junk someone else wants me to waste my money on.

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

11,147 posts, read 21,750,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I was a member of Gardenweb, which was bought up by the massive marketing conglomerate now known as Houzz. Just as soon as that sell-out happened, it went downhill fast. You could tell that it was only bought as a marketing opportunity. An existing audience upon whom to foist junk advertising. I'd seen the same tactic for years in other areas (motorcycle forums, car forums, etc..) where those forums were bought up and turned into shameless marketing/advertising sites.

Since I'm not a fan of "bible thumpers" (anyone who endlessly pushes a product for their own gain, and yes those who push religion have personal gain from doing so), it didn't take long to abandon the site. Haven't been back other than the occasional search link, and even those I Try to pay attention to the source and avoid known junk sites, which Houzz definatly is.

I could care less what someone Else is doing. It's irrelevant to my life, has zero bearing. My housing is different, my taste is different, my budget is different, and I'm not out to impress anyone. "Ideas" come from the gifts, crafts/projects I do or unique items I buy ~ not some mass-produced junk someone else wants me to waste my money on.
I had been with Garden Web since it 1st started. My user name Roselvr is from there, posting on the rose forums since 1999. There were a bunch of us that built up the rose and rose gallery forums. Some of us even met. We also had a special section in the roses forum for off topic conversation. Those were the days. I actually have a Garden Web T-shirt. Garden Web was owned by a guy named Spike. When he put people on time-outs it was known as being Spiked. I then used to go to the computer forum until it started sucking, then I went to Maximum PC's forum where I was a mod until 2006 or 2007. Then I came here and have seen this forum grow from state sections to what it is now. I've even helped grow C-D with asking for the cancer section.

Spike as we know sold out Garden Web. I wasn't going there after he sold it. I was ticked that Houzz made people rejoin, they didn't let you keep your user name; so no more Roselvr for me there. I did join as theroselvr but I do not post. I see they still have garden forums, still using the garden web URL and they still have the the rose gallery which was pretty much started because of my friends and I.

I do wonder how Spike feels about what has been done to "his" forum. It's sad they ruined it. Thankfully I don't need it because City-Data is more like the old Garden Web and home forums then Houzz is!

Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM

5,399 posts, read 10,005,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
No, that's not human nature.

The only thing I ever get super jealous of is when I walk into someone's house that is cleaner than mine, or I see an organized garage (Hey, I know where everything is in it).
Hmmm. Then I wonder why envy and greed are two of the seven sins....?

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

778 posts, read 477,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I like it for the forums ( similar to these) as I do find them very helpful. I will say that even on the forums though, there are some VERY well heeled folks. There are regular and budget folks too but it gets a bit intimidating at times.
The thing is with HGTV and Houzz, they can be very misleading and un-real. Kind of like staging your home for sale. As a savvy realtor said to me this is NOT how you live but we are selling the illusion. And our home sold in a matter of days.
Big agree on this. The concept of a master bath being a necessity wasn't a thing, I feel, until HGTV came along. I live in the mid-Atlantic, which is generally an older part of the country with well-established infrastructure, etc. Specifically, I'm in an inner-ring suburb right outside of Philadelphia. A healthy 90% of the houses in my town don't have master baths and most people around here don't expect them. They know that generally speaking, if they want that, they're going to have to go look at new construction further out in suburban sprawl-ville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House