U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

5,399 posts, read 10,005,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Big agree on this. The concept of a master bath being a necessity wasn't a thing, I feel, until HGTV came along. I live in the mid-Atlantic, which is generally an older part of the country with well-established infrastructure, etc. Specifically, I'm in an inner-ring suburb right outside of Philadelphia. A healthy 90% of the houses in my town don't have master baths and most people around here don't expect them. They know that generally speaking, if they want that, they're going to have to go look at new construction further out in suburban sprawl-ville.
Yep, we grew up, family of five, outside of Phila. House had one bathroom on the second floor.

Mornings were challenging--Dad getting ready for work; three kids getting ready for school. A of banging on the bathroom door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

381 posts, read 92,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Hmmm. Then I wonder why envy and greed are two of the seven sins....?
Thatís a pretty odd leap in logic.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

778 posts, read 477,885 times
Family of four, one full bath and a powder room downstairs. Mom was a stay-at-home mom until I, the youngest, was about 12. We got by. Oh, and my dad grew up in the city as one of eight and the only boy (which essentially meant that he go his own room once he hit a certain age). While all eight weren't living at home at the same time, it was a three-bedroom rowhome and they somehow made it work.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

653 posts, read 144,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Family of four, one full bath and a powder room downstairs. Mom was a stay-at-home mom until I, the youngest, was about 12. We got by. Oh, and my dad grew up in the city as one of eight and the only boy (which essentially meant that he go his own room once he hit a certain age). While all eight weren't living at home at the same time, it was a three-bedroom rowhome and they somehow made it work.

"Got by" and "made it work."

People got by and made it work in thatched roof mud huts with dirt floors for centuries. No indoor plumbing whatsoever. Are you going to go back to that to show how you can "get by" with less? Hmm? Or are you drawing an imaginary and arbitrary line in the sand to what you consider too much comfort and that people on the "wrong" side of that line are stupid and over indulgent because you "got by" with less comfort and convenience?

Sorry, even two people getting ready for work in my small bathroom was an inconvenience and uncomfortable, So we made the bathroom much larger so we aren't tripping all over each other when getting ready in the morning. We're much happier and more comfortable. But we must be stupid because YOU got by with less when you were younger.

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Thatís a pretty odd leap in logic.
Not really.. You thought finding fault with my possessions after viewing higher-end things on Houzz wasn't human nature.

Viewing these types of Websites so often create envy. These sites are designed to make us want to buy product. Because our possessions don't quite measure up to the goodies displayed on the site. We become envious; we may shop.

And envy is one of the seven sins so it must be our human nature--and we must guard against it...which I personally do by avoiding these sites...

But enough quibbling over minutiae. Wishing you a full and happy envy-less life! You're of a higher order than me as you can view these sites without envy.

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

4,005 posts, read 1,065,484 times
I wonder how many divorces Houzz has been responsible for?

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

9 posts, read 299 times
he's out of business )

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

24,670 posts, read 30,824,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I understand your point and agree. For me, even though I don't want that stuff, looking at it still, despite my best intentions, makes me envious and I start comparing my home, decor, possessions. And, darn it, I start finding fault with what had made me previously content (human nature?)...

So I've stopped looking at those higher-end home and decor Websites and publications....why allow myself to harvest the seeds of discontent?
so i guess you kind do want that stuff. i think its about mental conditioning. you have to condition yourself to appreciate the beauty of the stuff while not becoming envious and wanting the stuff.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so i guess you kind do want that stuff. i think its about mental conditioning. you have to condition yourself to appreciate the beauty of the stuff while not becoming envious and wanting the stuff.
Yep...but since that didn't work for me, stopping the visits to those sites and programs did the trick.

Old Today, 01:38 AM

6,684 posts, read 3,129,900 times
Glad you seem to be happier without a certain website.

I enjoy design, be it architecture, garden styles, or in home room renovations. Plenty of WORLD WIDE ideas flowing on the HOUZZ website.

Currently have three rooms in my dream house booklet that were inspired by various designs found on that website. In order to dream one must start with "ideas, formulas, concepts". That site provides that.

My Grandson is applying to design/architect. My goal is to have my design ideas presented to him so when he is "certified", I can be his first client. How humbling to put my trust in collaborating on a HOME project. While he and I dont share the same genre of styles it will still give him growth in his beginning portfolio. Besides he might have some "improved" ideas that save $ and still provide a unique design element to the HOME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House