Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 03:31 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times

Advertisements

Haven’t looked at anything house design related in about 2 years. Feels good.

Just don’t care about how my house (small/very simple/plain/paid off/50s brink ranch - but in good repair and in a very safe/thriving southern city) looks anymore. Or how anyone else’s looks either.

At this point, I believe I’ve matured enough to be at peace with how my home looks and totally accept, admire and cherish what a home does functionally...keep you safe/warm/cool/comfy/contain your possessions/not look horribly offensive,etc.

I’ve even come to admire some of the quirks of an older simple home. It’s kinda like an it evolves over the years with all the changes people make - probably 7-8 sets of people who made their own little changes which blend with some of the ones I’ve done. These basically gut-and-remodel-with-what’s-stylish things take away so much life and charm from a home.

Not caring what others think about the looks of my home is one less thing to worry about.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 10-09-2019 at 04:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 08:50 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
I thought I might try to look for an architect in my area on Houzz. My search brought up 1,061 hits and ever single one had a 5 star rating! Wall to wall perfection at my fingertips! Thank you Houzz!

Old 01-28-2021, 06:43 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Ha as I said 2 years ago, I pretty much do frequent the forums and have learned a lot and get good help.
I don't look at the super spectacular homes and I agree that some of it is really not helpful. There are mostly very helpful people contributing but I have come across a few that seem pretty nasty.Overall though, the good far outweigh the bad.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:59 AM

126 posts, read 244,738 times
I find the forums to be generally helpful, although yes there can be a few pushy posters who think everyone needs to have an ultra high end home.

As someone who owns an older, more modest sized home (1500 sq ft) I wish that there were more places to go to get realistic ideas. I don't specifically have anything against people who own larger homes. I'm an empty nester who doesn't really need more space so most of the Houzz and HGTV homes are simply too large and likely out of my budget.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:23 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
I like Houzz for ideas and am a member. My least favorite part is the forum. More often than not, someone is asking an honest question and forum pros come off like you shouldn't even bother if you aren't going to put highest end, hand crafted, custom designed widgets in your house. For folks with a modest budget it can be very discouraging and you can see that discouragement and defensiveness in responses to unhelpful criticism of their plans.

I like quality. I can't imagine belittling someone who wants to improve their space and needs to budget shop.

I actually like this better as a forum. I feel like there are more real answers and experiences to be heard from.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:39 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Desire is the root of suffering.

Advertising's purpose is to create desire.

Nuff said.

Old 01-28-2021, 04:46 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Houzz shut down "Hot Topics" cause it got too hot. I find a slightly different tilt here on C-D.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No. I think they are to get ideas. If you don't desire over-the-top, then don't look at over-the-top.
I updated my kitchen in 2017/18, and I found HOUZZ to be so so useful...mostly for the forums. There are a lot of pros on the site that offer lots of advice and ideas, and constructive criticism as well. I found the site to be my most useful resource. I love the site, and I have related my own experiences there to help others.

I have gotten a lot of good ideas, and good feedback from other "real" people, from Houzz. It was especially helpful when I was renovating my kitchen, like you. It was my go to for ideas and advice, and feedback and constructive criticism.

I haven't looked at it in awhile - thanks OP for the reminder to go check it out again!

Old 01-29-2021, 05:36 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
I don't know, I've seen a ton of small spaces (houses and apartments) showcased on Houzz over the years and have gotten a lot of good ideas. Actually, the smaller homes are usually my favorite house tours and stories. I'm not into the huge palatial mansions so much.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:25 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
I have a question for those of you that know how to navigate the forums on Houzz.

There used to be a buying and selling section but I don't go there any more and can't figure out how to get straight to that section. I'm able to search for buying and selling, a bunch of featured threads come up.

I'm looking for a very detailed thread I made years ago when I was Roselvr (I'm now TheRoselvr) called "sellers, what are you doing to prep" which would have been a guide for people selling their houses. Other members also gave input. I wanted to bring the link to a thread here so the person could have bumped the thread to ask for opinions on how to sell their inherited house as is. I even tried to find it using google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House