U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:25 AM

1,021 posts, read 672,960 times

Advertisements

I have had LG front load washer and dryer 2 sets, I upgraded one set and gave my old ones to our son. They are fine. I had a Whirlpool front load washer and dryer lasted 10 years and gave it away they had it for 4 more years before any issues. I do like the large capacity LG so I can wash a comforter King Size at home.

For refrigerators I have had both Whirlpool and Jenn-Air and neither we ever repaired. For range Jenn-Air and whirlpool again no repairs. Dishwasher I buy Fisher Paykel, my last one was 14 years old and I am replacing it with the same brand. I love the double drawer.

Old Today, 08:27 AM

23,103 posts, read 15,086,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Microwaves are an anomaly. They are made under contract mostly in China. That is why the interiors of different brands may be the same. It is because they are the same. The brands ship the actual manufacturers doors, handles and control panels which are put onto common chassis.
Yes. I brought a Panasonic micro with me 7 years ago when I moved, and found a quite similar Whirlpool already installed in my present kitchen. It had fewer options, but was basically the same unit.

Old Today, 08:27 AM

2,618 posts, read 2,197,228 times
The painful truth is that "They don't make appliances like they used to"...so even the "reliable"brands are still a crap shoot. ( do I sound skeptical?? lol). I have pretty much heard though that Samsung appliances are to be avoided. It seems it's more a question of the availability of parts and such as opposed to the products being bad. I have had good luck with Whirlpool - Maytag- and LG for whatever it's worth.
We need to replace very old but functioning appliances in our new to us home (20 to 25 years old! GE dishwasher works but sounds like an airport. GE electric range works fine but has few upgrade features like time bake). The fridge is a Kenmore that works fine but looks to be about 5 years old. This is why I still pay attention to these threads. Will be curious to see what you end up with or what is recommended

Old Today, 08:31 AM

23,103 posts, read 15,086,056 times
[quote=cp102;56364988 I do like the large capacity LG so I can wash a comforter King Size at home.

[/QUOTE]

Me too! I can wash two sets of queen sized sheets in it w/ no problem. I could also add a few towels, w/ no problem. But I often wash small loads, and the machine handles those easily as well. I suspect the newer He machines have evolved to be better machines than the first gen Maytag I bought last decade. I really like my LG, although loads can become unbalanced. You have to arrange them as if there was an agitator in the middle. That seems to help.

I have never cared for front loaders. Top loaders are easier on my back, for one thing.

Old Today, 12:04 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,777,947 times
All new in last year:

LG jumbo front loading washer and electric dryer - fine (3rd set over the years)
Samsung quad flex tablet fridge - fine
Samsung gas cooktop - fine
Samsung double wall oven - fine but top one calibrated a bit low
Bosch dishwasher - fine
(was recommended against Samsung)
Samsung microwave - fine
Viking 48” vent hood and warming drawer - fine

Old Today, 12:08 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,777,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I agree with Samsung washers, especially the top loaders. I also never liked LG washers either. They don't clean nearly as good as older washers (early 2000s and older). Samsung even recalled top load washers because of impact injuries back in 2016.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/sa...shing-machines
Itís an energy star thing unfortunately. Less water means less soaking. In my front loading LG I sometimes select the jumbo load setting.

Old Today, 12:54 PM

18,289 posts, read 55,150,608 times
Thread closed pending moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House