U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 04:56 PM

544 posts, read 382,663 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a device for my parents house that would somehow notify them if their furnace went out while they head south for 2 winter months. They had one that would plug into a land line that would call some one if it dropped below a programmed temperature but they have since cancelled their phone. They do not have WIFI.

I know there is a light bulb you can buy that turns on if the temperature drops. Problem is, they have no neighbors. Is there anything else out there I am missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 08:13 PM

4,523 posts, read 1,483,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I am looking for a device for my parents house that would somehow notify them if their furnace went out while they head south for 2 winter months. They had one that would plug into a land line that would call some one if it dropped below a programmed temperature but they have since cancelled their phone. They do not have WIFI.

I know there is a light bulb you can buy that turns on if the temperature drops. Problem is, they have no neighbors. Is there anything else out there I am missing?

Get a smart thermostat like a ecobee 3 lite you download the app and it gives out a alert if anything is wrong, you have to have WiFi in the house in order for thermostat app to work.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:00 PM

10,741 posts, read 17,954,994 times
If they have no way for a device to communicate outside of the house there aren't a lot of options, get the phone line going again or get internet.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:44 PM

4,523 posts, read 1,483,015 times
There's no device to tell you that the furnace isn’t working, because a furnace needs electric power to operate. So a light will only tell you that the power is out, only a WiFi thermostat will tell you if the furnace itself isn’t working. You’re just going to have to check out the house one time a week if you don’t want WiFi.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:24 PM

12,919 posts, read 49,936,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Is there anything else out there I am missing?
What your missing is "electricity"! Wouldn't the most likely scenario for losing heat be electricity? Light bulbs don't work without electricity- nor does WiFi. Oh, and it's hard to see a light bulb in the rust belt from Florida.

The Best Defense is a Good Offense- get the "closest" neighbor to check on house when the weather turns foul.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:06 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,459,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What your missing is "electricity"! Wouldn't the most likely scenario for losing heat be electricity? Light bulbs don't work without electricity- nor does WiFi. Oh, and it's hard to see a light bulb in the rust belt from Florida.

The Best Defense is a Good Offense- get the "closest" neighbor to check on house when the weather turns foul.
FYI - If your "furnace" is gas or oil powered, the heat can go out even when the electricity is on.

Added: I wonder if there is a device that could make a cell phone call when the temperature drops. Could be battery powered or have battery backup.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:55 AM

12,919 posts, read 49,936,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
FYI - If your "furnace" is gas or oil powered, the heat can go out even when the electricity is on.

Well yes, "anything" is possible- but less likely due to electronic ignition on newer furnaces. Assuming everything else is in good working order. Then there's the possibility of the gas line being cut/turn off, running out of oil, thermostat going haywire, mouse or rat chewing wires, etc., etc.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:32 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,459,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Well yes, "anything" is possible- but less likely due to electronic ignition on newer furnaces. Assuming everything else is in good working order. Then there's the possibility of the gas line being cut/turn off, running out of oil, thermostat going haywire, mouse or rat chewing wires, etc., etc.
Or the exhaust fan on the unit goes bad so the furnace automatically shuts off. Happened to me.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:01 PM

12,747 posts, read 12,896,488 times
Just winterize the house. Drain water lines and appliances or fill the lines with RV antifreeze. They won't care if the house gets cold.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:06 PM

73,931 posts, read 73,739,853 times
We had An autodialer with battery back up but you need a phone line ...it will call when it senses power failed or a temperature you set is hit

https://www.amazon.com/Control-Produ.../dp/B0049D7FQQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or