U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 08:12 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,045,291 times

Advertisements

I miss the clear water in CT. Sure it had a decent iron content but it tasted so good. A bonus, no added anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 10:15 PM

18,935 posts, read 8,626,260 times
I've had wonderful sweet clean water from wells. I've also had water that didn't taste very good because of the high iron content, which also stained clothing and fixtures.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:56 AM

55 posts, read 8,464 times
Best water I ever drank was at motel in small town in east Tennessee. Assume the town had their own well, it was up in mountains. Water was good at place I owned in upper Michigan, but iron pipe so you always got least hint of iron/rust taste from that. Once water ran a bit it was good.

Water ok, nothing special here in northern Arkansas. Taste of well water basically depends on minerals underground. Some people get stuck with sulfur contaminated well water. YUCK. Course any water, city or well, you can get rid of nearly everything with good reverse osmosis treatment. I believe it will even remove fluoride that every medium/large city adds. It will be completely or nearly completely tasteless. Good tasting well water depends on minerals just like bad well water does. You remove everything and its lot like distilled water.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:22 AM

15,630 posts, read 8,956,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Another preference for well over city.... I'd rather not have inept water workers (have a class-4 rated water treat tech in the family, the guy who runs water treatment and this is the highest rating ~ he QUIT doing that job because the city forced him to make so many compromises with budget issues that he couldn't do the work and sleep at night, city is STILL looking for a replacement 2 years later) failing to do their job correctly and pumping contaminated water into my home. Mineral issues are a far, FAR cry from dysentery and other nastiness that comes with poorly run water treatment.

Nevermind the poison in the form of fluoride that you simply can Not get away from with "city" water. Give me well water anytime.
....and for all that you still choose to live in the "city"?

Old 10-09-2019, 05:29 AM

5,957 posts, read 4,360,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I live in the suburbs with city water, but my family has a place in the country with a well. Iíve never minded the taste of the water, but my wife hated it. A few years ago we put in a whole house filtration system and she thinks it tastes fine now.

One thing I do hate is the water softener. I know it is necessary, but I hate how it makes it impossible to completely rinse soap off when bathing or washing hands.
Ö and slippery dishes, pots and pans, no matter how much you rinse them.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:32 AM

37,741 posts, read 46,596,060 times
The best tasting water I ever had was in Gettysburg.

We had a well for years and enjoyed that it was abundant and free, but it had its drawbacks. There was a lot of iron in it that had to be filtered out. The softened water caused problems with appliances, like a rice cooker and a Bunn coffee maker. We had to get a special part for the Bunn and when I used the rice cooker, a bunch of starchy water spewed out of the vent.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:43 AM

10,453 posts, read 5,756,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
........I live in the country so it wouldn't really be practical for me to hate well water.

Same here. My well, my water.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 AM

26,993 posts, read 64,109,734 times
My father has a filtration/softening system that is used for showers, dishes, laundry. He has separate untreated well water for drinking (because the minerals in his water are good for you and it tastes better) for watering plants (because the salt is bad for them) and outdoor use (because it is a waste of money to treat water for outdoor use.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:41 AM

69 posts, read 44,610 times
My experiences with well water was while living with a roommate in Redding Ct, they had a well and the water had a distinctive, unpleasant odor that stayed on my clothes after putting them through the washer. I had to use a toss in fabric softener sheet to kill the smell. The next was in North Central Florida, where anything white turned a dingy gray after laundering, despite using a water softener treatment. I was shocked at the contrast between two garments that I owned; one I had bought and laundered repeatedly while in FL, then I bought a replacement because the first was getting worn out. Although it was the same color and style, I could see what the water in FL had done to the first garment because the contrast in color was so extreme.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:50 PM

7,622 posts, read 2,767,844 times
I don't have a lot of experience with well water...but I remember one time being at a friend's house, who had well water.

It was smelly, and my glass of iced tea tasted funny. My one and only experience with well water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House