Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 06:01 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,204 times

Advertisements

I strongly dislike well water because it puts yellow stains on white clothes, sinks, bathtubs, etc especially with hot water. Thankfully at my apartment where I live, I am on city water and I am happy with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 06:04 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Depends on the sulfur, or other mineral, content of your water. Mine is perfectly clear and I have no staining issues.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:23 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
The mineral content of water varies widely. Water softeners and filtration systems can help if the mineral content is real high.

Many city water systems use wells.

I live in the country so it wouldn't really be practical for me to hate well water.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,939 times
No, I like it because I don't have the worries of a water & sewer bill. The pressure gets low at times in the kitchen, but I'm used to it by now. Also, I have never noticed any staining on light fabrics. If anything, I find it cleaner than city water.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:36 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I strongly dislike well water because it puts yellow stains on white clothes, sinks, bathtubs, etc especially with hot water. Thankfully at my apartment where I live, I am on city water and I am happy with that.
Gotta love all the chlorine in the city water, right? There are definitely many trade offs.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:40 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
well, we do not Hate well-water,
we Prefer it to the city options available.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:54 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Another preference for well over city.... I'd rather not have inept water workers (have a class-4 rated water treat tech in the family, the guy who runs water treatment and this is the highest rating ~ he QUIT doing that job because the city forced him to make so many compromises with budget issues that he couldn't do the work and sleep at night, city is STILL looking for a replacement 2 years later) failing to do their job correctly and pumping contaminated water into my home. Mineral issues are a far, FAR cry from dysentery and other nastiness that comes with poorly run water treatment.

Nevermind the poison in the form of fluoride that you simply can Not get away from with "city" water. Give me well water anytime.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:56 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Here the difference between well water and city water is negligible. In fact the only real difference is we could spend 3 times as much by getting city water. We live in a neighborhood where most homes have wells but can go for city at about 15% of the cost of city water to a new build. Our well water is as hard as a rock. So is the Colorado River water of the city system. Here the well water comes from miles away on the other side of the Spring Mountains. Estimates are the water you drink is over 10,000 years old.

City water also comes with the chlorine and fluorine.

Both city and well water here need a water softener or it will be a nuisance. these are relatively deep wells. Ours is at 400 feet though nowadays we pump from around 250. To the NW of us they get to be a 1000 feet as you go up the foot hills. Gotten harder to get a well permit though still workable if a ways from the existing mains.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:26 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
In the house we used to own, we were on a well and I SO MISS the taste of that water. It was crystal clear, ice cold even during a hot spell in the summer, and it had almost a sweet taste to it. The downside... our whites did not stay white UNTIL I read online to use Calgon water softener. It really helped to keep our whites white.

Now we live in another house and the water was yellow and stained our toilet until we installed a water softener and a filtration system for tannins. The upside... no more yellow water, no stains in the toilet, and the clothes come out clean. The downside... it doesn't taste good at all. It's just very blah.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:44 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,279 times
I live in the suburbs with city water, but my family has a place in the country with a well. I’ve never minded the taste of the water, but my wife hated it. A few years ago we put in a whole house filtration system and she thinks it tastes fine now.

One thing I do hate is the water softener. I know it is necessary, but I hate how it makes it impossible to completely rinse soap off when bathing or washing hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House