U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,638,006 times

Advertisements

Purchased a full kitchen of Whirlpool Appliances when I remodeled my condo about one year ago. The range cost just over one thousand dollars. Now the clock diodes are fading and one has become unreadable. I contacted Whirlpool and discovered that the one-year warranty didn't start when I received the appliances. It started when I ordered (and paid for) them. (Delivery took 2+ months.)

I contacted an appliance repair company here on Maui, because Whirlpool doesn't have a service agreement with anyone here. The cost to replace the clock in my $1000 range? $500 dollars!!! $400 for the part plus installation. The oven has never been on and only one burner has been used!

Fortunately, I have secondary insurance provided by the credit card I used for the purchase. Hope they come through.

Meanwhile, I purchased Whirlpool because I had their washers and dryers for decades in California. They used to be great! What happened? Is this the new norm?

Any advice?

Old Today, 04:34 AM

1,021 posts, read 672,960 times
Sorry this has happened to you. It seems appliances aren't made to last anymore. I hope your credit card company will help. It use to be kitchen-aid, Maytag, Whirlpool were great products. I also sold appliances for a few years. Those would have been my preferred brands.

Old Today, 05:00 AM

29,282 posts, read 63,660,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
The range cost just over one thousand dollars.
I feel better as I was able to learn this lesson for just $350
(the fancy control panel it needs would cost more than the whole stove)

Quote:
Any advice?
I replaced mine with a nicer stove from Frigidaire.
So far ... so good.

Old Today, 08:02 AM

18,285 posts, read 55,150,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Purchased a full kitchen of Whirlpool Appliances when I remodeled my condo about one year ago. The range cost just over one thousand dollars. Now the clock diodes are fading and one has become unreadable. I contacted Whirlpool and discovered that the one-year warranty didn't start when I received the appliances. It started when I ordered (and paid for) them. (Delivery took 2+ months.)

I contacted an appliance repair company here on Maui, because Whirlpool doesn't have a service agreement with anyone here. The cost to replace the clock in my $1000 range? $500 dollars!!! $400 for the part plus installation. The oven has never been on and only one burner has been used!

Fortunately, I have secondary insurance provided by the credit card I used for the purchase. Hope they come through.

Meanwhile, I purchased Whirlpool because I had their washers and dryers for decades in California. They used to be great! What happened? Is this the new norm?

Any advice?
IIRC, that is a violation of the uniform commercial code. Contact your state consumer protection agency and file a formal complaint if escalating your claim to corporate doesn't work. Someone needs to be fired.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

12,895 posts, read 49,877,587 times
When did this forum become the Complaint Department?

Old Today, 12:15 PM

18,285 posts, read 55,150,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
When did this forum become the Complaint Department?
Good point and thanks for reminding us. From the TOS

This is not the right place for consumer complaints. Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument.

There is a fine line between reporting an experience -
"I tried to purchase a replacement clock for my X brand range and found that it was priced at nearly half the price of a new range." - and generalizing to a negativity towards the product brand as a whole.

Also - reporting experiences with an appliance is a better fit in "product reviews"

Thread closed pending moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or