U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,822,879 times

Advertisements

Our refrigerator finally died last night after 20+ years of reliable service. Since we had it so long, I'm not sure what to look for in a new fridge and it's a big purchase to make and affects our everyday life a lot. Like most things, there is more variety in refrigerators than 20 years ago. I know we don't want a wi-fi enabled refrigerator. That seems needlessly complicated. We're inclined to buy used since it is very likely we will move out of state soon and moving a refrigerator is risky, but we're looking at new ones as well. But we need to buy quickly of course since we have a huge cooler of food packed in ice in the kitchen. I'd like to get others' opinions on what they like about each type, size, color, and brand. We will keep measurements in mind. Our current one is a 25 cubic foot Amana. FYI, it's only the two of us and two spoiled dogs who get the occasional treat out of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

12,903 posts, read 49,889,365 times
In this order-

Price
Aesthetics (to include color)
Size (does it fit the hole)
Features
Warranty
Name brand

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

26,967 posts, read 64,045,777 times
Cold inside.

Fits the style of my kitchen.

Simple, as few electronics as possible.

Sturdy and easy to repair - as little plastic as possible.

Freezer big enough to hold frozen pizzas or a fridge with no freezer cheap enough to leave money for a chest freezer.

No stupid water/ice dispenser.

no stupid door in a door ect.

As few bins and boxes inside as possible - easy to clean.

I prefer self-defrosting, but it is not critical.

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

5,228 posts, read 5,585,413 times
I think it goes without saying that it's important that the size fit the allocated space, and that the color should match my other appliances.

Brand - meh. As long as it has a decent warranty and pretty solid reputation, I don't care what the brand is or whether the brand matches my other appliances.

Outside of those, my #1 consideration is Does the interior work for my needs? Usage of space, size and number of drawers, adjustable shelves, etc. IMO, side-by-sides waste a lot of interior space and I'd never consider one of those.

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

18,306 posts, read 55,162,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Our refrigerator finally died last night after 20+ years of reliable service. Since we had it so long, I'm not sure what to look for in a new fridge and it's a big purchase to make and affects our everyday life a lot. Like most things, there is more variety in refrigerators than 20 years ago. I know we don't want a wi-fi enabled refrigerator. That seems needlessly complicated. We're inclined to buy used since it is very likely we will move out of state soon and moving a refrigerator is risky, but we're looking at new ones as well. But we need to buy quickly of course since we have a huge cooler of food packed in ice in the kitchen. I'd like to get others' opinions on what they like about each type, size, color, and brand. We will keep measurements in mind. Our current one is a 25 cubic foot Amana. FYI, it's only the two of us and two spoiled dogs who get the occasional treat out of it
Habitat restore, some thrift shops, appliance repair services. No way would I buy new under those conditions.

I wouldn't be concerned about features, given the short time you'll be using it.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

7,700 posts, read 1,753,044 times
1. Capacity -- the bigger the better
2. Top Freezer (not side by side)

That's it, but I will check reviews.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

37,691 posts, read 46,543,778 times
I forget how old you are, Scooby, but my refrigerator is french door, freezer on the bottom. I love everything in the fridge being at eye level. No stooping down to find things. Ice maker in the freezer drawer. Mine is 25 Sq ft Samsung.

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

14,267 posts, read 20,892,896 times
In this order.
Sub-Zero.
Sub-Zero.
Sub-Zero.

Happy owner since 1987 with a ugly interlude with Whirlpool from 2011-2017.

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

7,481 posts, read 15,611,730 times
I do like the water in the door, but don't care for the icemaker in the door - we don't use a lot of ice and find that it tends to melt slightly (because it is in the door and the door gets opened frequently) and then refreeze in to a blob. In the really hot few weeks in the summer, when we are using more ice, it works fine, but not so much the rest of the year.

I really like having the "cold cuts, cheese and tortillas" tray at the bottom of the fridge section, just below the veg/fruit drawers.

Absolutely not interested in having a tablet in my fridge, lol. I don't mind tech toys (I have an Alexa in my kitchen for keeping my shopping lists, reading me books/playing music while I cook, setting timers, etc) but having one built in to an appliance is just inviting the Gods of Tech Obsolescence to strike your fridge down.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

15,344 posts, read 19,521,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Habitat restore, some thrift shops, appliance repair services. No way would I buy new under those conditions.

I wouldn't be concerned about features, given the short time you'll be using it.
I'm in agreement with Harry UNLESS you own and plan on selling your current home. A crappy old and/or mismatched fridge isn't gonna help get a house sold.

Here's my list of what was important when we replaced last year.

Matching finish (stainless steel for us)
Counter width (this requirement cut out A LOT of choices)
French door with fridge on the bottom
NO water or ice maker on the door of the fridge. (also cut out a lot of choices)
Price

Purchased it online from AJ Madison sight unseen, but exactly what we wanted. Saved about $600 bucks over buying at HD, Lowe's, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or