Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:27 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_gloaming View Post
Thanks for the tip teatime. Do you have a building supply house called "Extras"? Extras is a discount building supply house that carries building supplies that were sent out to a construction site and were left over after the project was completed. Often, they carry $30 a gallon paint for $8 a gallon.., and its not a mismatched paint either. They carry lumber, plumbing supplies, insulation, fancy and basic doors, as well as a lot of odds and ends. They may seem to be a bit junky, but; its worth the clutter to save the bucks. A lot of, but not all of their paint is by Glidden. Their inventory changes almost weekly.
No, but I sure wish we did! LOL, I have NO problem with going to outlet/discount places to save money! Heh, I actually have an aversion to specialty stores for basic things because I figure I'm going to pay more and there won't be a big difference in quality! (Now, sometimes you have to, of course, for very specific items but that's not routine.)

Hence, the Weatherbeater/Sherwin Williams thing. I've personally used the Sears and Kmart Weatherbeater/Martha Stewart paints and they perform GREAT! When I had a room addition added to my former house, the painter was using paint bought at Sherwin Williams and, toward the end of one day, he ran out. I had bought the same color at Kmart (Martha Stewart) for a previous project and offered it to him. He was impressed with it, and said it was a pleasure to work with. It comes in grades and finishes at Sears and Kmart, too.

My neighbor told me just a few days ago about a place called Restore here in town. Apparently, it's a fund raising operation for Habitat for Humanity!!!! Contractors, stores, and builders take their surplus materials, fixtures, discontinued items, etc. there as a donation and Restore sells them to the public at EXTREMELY reduced prices! My neighbor found a new storm door there and paid only $15 for it!!!!! It's a win-win -- the stores and builders get a tax write-off and Habitat for Humanity gets money and supplies for their projects!

I'm going there first thing tomorrow because I need a new storm door! I'm really interested to see what they have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:23 PM

113 posts, read 654,345 times
Whatever the name of the store is, I often find bargains in off beat stores others often overlook. Many of these aren't the best organized, or are somewhere involved in auctions, estate liquidations, moving sales. classifieds in some little paper like American Classifieds ( a national weekly periodical ), or something like that, where bargains can be found if you're not in a big hurry..., which I'm sure is something you already knew. I've even found useable things by dumpster diving.

If you're interested..., Extras is at 400 West 53rd. in Denver Colorado

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 08-21-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: adtl info

Old 08-10-2009, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 22,820 times
Best paint by far for the Great Northwest is Sherwin Williams (SW) . I've been painting for well over 20 years here in Oregon. Started with Miller paint and went to SW. Miller has some nice products and great paint as well. For me, there was more of a need for what SW had to offer for cedar siding. As far as prices, they do vary. Weatherbeater is a Contractor Grade for like new construction homes. A step up is A-100 and Super Paint at the top. Paint will only last up to the warranty time if the surface is clean, dull and dry and properly prepared.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM

28 posts, read 110,857 times
I once painted my home on the outside, that is when I had one. I ended up using shermin williams. I did hear on the TV that a study had been done and it was a proven fact that Walmart carried a good brand that was in the line with all of the expensive paints available. There color range just was not as big.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,346 times
Duron. Years of testimony!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
I'm a big fan of Benjamin Moore. Painted my third house with it, and the house continued to look freshly painted for years!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Painters told me that the best brands are Benjamin moore, Sherwin Williams and (argh, now I cannot think of it, mostly available out west - i will edit it in later). Graham makes the very best, but it is cost prohibitive.

They told me that the store barnds are junk and some of them refused to use them (I had already bought some). They said that I would end up unhappy withthe paint job in the long run and blame them. Your painter can get 10% or more off the the name brand paints. Get them to pass that savings on to you, or if you set up a commercial account at the paint store, you can get the discount.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Persasonlly I like Benjamin Moore or PPG 's best grade.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Painters told me that the best brands are Benjamin moore, Sherwin Williams and Dunn Edwards. Graham makes the very best, but it is cost prohibitive.

They told me that the store barnds are junk and some of them refused to use them (I had already bought some). They said that I would end up unhappy withthe paint job in the long run and blame them. Your painter can get 10% or more off the the name brand paints. Get them to pass that savings on to you, or if you set up a commercial account at the paint store, you can get the discount.
Dunn Edwards

Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
1872 house that is being scraped within an inch of it's life...and I've read all the Consumer Reports stuff, but several paints aren't listed, the jury is still out.

This obviously is an all frame home. We wanted to use a satin for clean up - we're in the south, where pollen and dust and mud are always a problem. California is rated #1 and we have no access to that - small town.

Pratt and Lambert is second - and 85 miles away. If we run out, we're in trouble. Three colors going on, so we can't really make a mistake...gotta get it right the first time!

Glidden was next, which is an option...and for the price difference between that and Sherwin Williams, it looks like Glidden could take the lead.

All we have here is Lowe's and SW and Wal Mart, and an independent who is pushing Coronado, which we'd never even heard of. Everything after that fell so low in the ratings as to make us question if we would be seeing the painter again in 3 years, which I don't want to do. Nice guy, but my checkbook says no.

So...help. Apparently a lot of the paint companies are reformulating, which is causing the lag time in CR ratings. Any help from anyone recently painting would be appreciated!
For my money, Sherwin Williams has fine products and if that is what is at hand - you could do considerably worse. I don't think that anything is so superior to the Sherwin Williams line to warrant driving any distance to get it.

Also, if you have never used Sherwin Williams before they will often offer a considerable discount on your first purchase for opening an account with them (make sure you have a good estimate of how much paint you will use). You will probably have to ask about the discount, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House