Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 10:05 AM

22,201 posts, read 29,238,100 times

Advertisements

Do you any of you have this and if you do, what exactly are you controlling on it? Maybe buying a house for January move in and I'm getting ideas at this point and this is something I'm interested in. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 12:45 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,648,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Maybe buying a house for January move in ...
Move in. Get used to what you have. Don't change anything for a year.
In the event there is some problem with the controls it comes with... fix them.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:05 PM

17,441 posts, read 65,734,457 times
Quote:
...what exactly are you controlling on it?
Just about anything/anywhere!

https://www.apple.com/shop/accessori...sories/homekit

Old 12-10-2019, 02:00 PM

1,185 posts, read 743,976 times
Quote:
Do you any of you have this and if you do, what exactly are you controlling on it? Maybe buying a house for January move in and I'm getting ideas at this point and this is something I'm interested in. TIA
I've got a bunch of stuff on mine, mostly because I travel a lot and it allows me to check on things while I'm gone.

The big ones I like are the flood warning (my WH is in an internal closet, which I hate, and I've had them fail before).
I have a few lights inside like the one I always leave on in the hall that shines into my eyes right as I get in bed.
Almost all of my exterior patio lighting is "smart".
And, my thermostat.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:38 PM

22,201 posts, read 29,238,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Move in. Get used to what you have. Don't change anything for a year.
In the event there is some problem with the controls it comes with... fix them.

What are you talking about?? Why would I wait a year.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:41 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,603,729 times
Quote:
What are you talking about?? Why would I wait a year.
I have no idea, that’s just stupid. The time to make your house smart is right when you move in. It takes time to get every system functioning the way you want but it’s worth it! My house is an Alexa controlled house, because Alexa supports by far the most systems. Don’t get me wrong I love Apple, I have an iPad Pro, MacBook Pro (2 weeks old 16” 2019 model), Mac Pro, iPhone XS Max, and an iMac Pro on the way so I’m as big of an Apple fanboy as you can imagine but Lennar has a partnership with Amazon so it came pre-installed with some Alexa stuff and it’s just right now the most stable system.

As far as ideas for smart home stuff in general, here’s basically what I have going on:
-Roughly 15 switches controlled by Lutron (integrates with Alexa like most of this list).
-Other switches (20 or so) controlled by non-dimmable smart switches (these are bathrooms mainly and front porch, entry light to master, etc.).
-Ceiling fans (8) controlled by Bond (2) on each floor.
-SimpliSafe monitoring including water sensor and glass break sensors.
-Rachio smart irrigation system, app controlled.
-Nest thermostats on each floor.
-Ring doorbell plus 2 Ring interior cameras.
-Kevo smart lock.
-Chamberlain garage door opener.
-Smart plug control for bedside fan and some electronics.
-4 Echo dots, 1 Echo, 4 Echo Show 5” models, and 1 Echo Show 10” control the home with Alexa from every room or area of the house. There are no blind spots so even bathrooms have Dots for quick access to voice commands.
-7 blinds in the living room / dining room are Lutron blinds controlled by the app or Alexa.
-Moodo smart home scent machine, so I can turn on and off scents in the kitchen with voice commands or app controls or even set them as part of routines.

The solar power system on the roof is also app monitored so I can check in on my production each day if I feel like it.

I can’t imagine going back at this point to the hassles of a dumb home. My favorite things are probably “good morning” where the proper lights are turned on, ceiling fan off, bedside fan off, etc. Then when I’m ready “I’m ready” turns off the lights in both rooms, bathroom and bedroom, and I’m ready to start my day. Goodnight turns off every light in the house, locks the front door in case it wasn’t already, adjusts temperature, turns on my bedside fan and ceiling fan, and turns on my nightlight. That way I can get into bed and then just turn the nightlight off through the app or yell at Alexa. I tell her to set an alarm for whenever I want to be up and that’s that.

If I tell it “movie time” it’ll dim lights in the living room to 15%, close the blinds, turn off all the other lights, and I’m on my way with my Axiim 7.1 surround sound receiver being app controlled as well so I can adjust inputs and volume and whatnot right from my phone. I basically have complete control of my house from my phone and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:45 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,523,383 times
I live in an area that includes many of these US Government defense contractors. Folks with top secret clearance credentials.

None of them have a listening device inside of their home.
None of them have a movable camera (eyeball type) inside their home in general, and only physically available to move within a hard set range on the outside of their home.
All of them only like three companies - Honeywell, Apple, Raytheon.

I follow their advice.

That being said, for us, we have smart thermostats, garage door, sprinkler system, a few switches. Not a ton, but a few for convenience. Our security system is wired, and Honeywell. Just bought and installed a smart door bell - only Honeywell.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:30 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,269,649 times
I have a Nest thermostat and just bought an Alexa Echo. I also bought a few smart switches that I haven't installed yet. I want to get Nest "Hello" doorbells, but they need to be hardwired (unlike Ring, which can be run via battery), so I have to figure out costs, etc.

I WISH I had my ceiling fans incorporated with the smart stuff. That would be great!

Anyway, I am an Apple person but, surprisingly don't have any Apple smart devices, other than my phone, my macbook and my tablet. No Apple home stuff anyway.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:19 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,603,729 times
I mean, that’s nice but Honeywell is garbage. I ripped those horrible ghetto thermostats out immediately and put in Nest. They wouldn’t even sync with an iPhone, Honeywell literally makes poor person thermostats that you’d see in a $300/month apartment that looks like it’s from the 80s. I can’t think of a brand I hate more than them. I wouldn’t buy a single thing from that company and I’m not aware of any highly rated device they make and I read every article I can find on best smart home devices. They don’t make any list. So pass, hard pass from me!

Old 12-13-2019, 05:46 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,914,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I mean, that’s nice but Honeywell is garbage. I ripped those horrible ghetto thermostats out immediately and put in Nest. They wouldn’t even sync with an iPhone, Honeywell literally makes poor person thermostats that you’d see in a $300/month apartment that looks like it’s from the 80s. I can’t think of a brand I hate more than them. I wouldn’t buy a single thing from that company and I’m not aware of any highly rated device they make and I read every article I can find on best smart home devices. They don’t make any list. So pass, hard pass from me!
Snob much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House