Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:17 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times

Advertisements

I love my Dyson DC17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
I bought one of the original Dyson vacuums and it lasted less than 1 year.

I purchased a Eureka Boss Smartvac as it's replacement. I was very pleased with it ... however, I wanted to get the latest & greatest so I got the another Dyson. It died in less than 3 months.

I am back to using my Eureka. Used it heavily for 4 years (except for the 2 months in had the Animal). I am a neatfreak so I am hard on a vacuum.
Dysons have warranties -- did you return them? If not, why not?

My Dyson has a 5-year warranty but I believe the earlier models had 3-year warranties. I love mine. I use it A LOT since I have four dogs and it never loses suction.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:02 AM

255 posts, read 1,195,834 times
I've read what you all have to say about various vacuum cleaners. While I haven't tried the Dyson my daughter says that it will be the first vacuum cleaner she buys when she has a house of her own. She believes the ads.

As for me, I have owned my Simplicity (like the dress patterns) for years and absolutely love it. I started a cleaning business with it years and years ago and it took some heavy use. I will definitely buy another one when this one dies - which doesn't seem to be in the near future.

Any other Simplicity lovers out there? (It might be a secret product - I've never seen ads for one.)

Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Consumer Reports calls Orek and Dyson junk. Overpriced junk at that. I've had a few housekeepers who have also confirmed this fact.

If you're wanting a quality product that will last for several years, perhaps even 10-20 years, I'd recommend a Rainbow, Electrolux or Miele. The starting price point is roughly $500-700 (and can span into the thousands), but they're incredible machines. My family has owned the same Rainbow for 18 years now and it continues to work perfectly. That's says a lot to me, considering the last 3-4 Hoovers I've owned have all fallen apart after a couple of years.

BN
well I have a rainbow, and yes it has worked perfectly, and love the brush for furniture that has a powered head, with a motor and not suction power. What I don't like especially when I had pets was the changing of the water and cleaning of the vaccuum. Looking for an upright or such and going to garage sawe the Rainbow. Would not recomend it for with pets, just a nasty web mob of hair when you clean it.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,667 times
I had a hoover windtunnel and couldn't stand it...it was awful on bare floors and it didn't pick up my dog hair very well...plus it died very quickly. I have also had hoover shampooers..>I swear I won't by hoover again..they just break..imho.

I had an electrolux...which did fine..but it didn't pick up all the hair..I borrowed someone's dyson and couldn't believe all the stuff it picked up out of my just vacuumed carpet!!

I love my dyson. It does a great job. It has picked up better than the others I have had. It is great on bare floors... I even had a problem where my my puppy chewed the cord in half. So I took it to sears and they sent it out. It came back with a nice new cord and all serviced. They put in a new filter and cleaned it all out...didn't cost me a thing.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:12 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Dysons have warranties -- did you return them? If not, why not?

My Dyson has a 5-year warranty but I believe the earlier models had 3-year warranties. I love mine. I use it A LOT since I have four dogs and it never loses suction.

Long story short - I did jump through all the "hoops" required by the company in attempts to fix both vacuums. The cost on my part, in both instances, to get the needed repairs was just too much. The limited warranty was what got me both times - something most companies will fall back on if they don't want to be responible for fixing a problem.

This is one of the few instances that I did not listen to Consumer Reports - and it's one of the rare problems I have ever had with any appliance - major or small household. I admit I am tough on a vacuum - but it is one of the hardest working machines in any home.

Dysons are very popular - most people love them and swear by their advertising promises. I guess I was just one of those people that got two lemons - and I simply won't make that mistake again.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:26 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Long story short - I did jump through all the "hoops" required by the company in attempts to fix both vacuums. The cost on my part, in both instances, to get the needed repairs was just too much. The limited warranty was what got me both times - something most companies will fall back on if they don't want to be responible for fixing a problem.

This is one of the few instances that I did not listen to Consumer Reports - and it's one of the rare problems I have ever had with any appliance - major or small household. I admit I am tough on a vacuum - but it is one of the hardest working machines in any home.

Dysons are very popular - most people love them and swear by their advertising promises. I guess I was just one of those people that got two lemons - and I simply won't make that mistake again.
I, too, had problems with my Dyson. I had the original "cannister" dyson. I bought it becuase of the Ad's...with 2 goldens, 2 cats, & 2 sons..it seemed perfect for me especiall y being light-weight. I had several problems with suction & tried to get it fixed but the issue was never resolved. It's now my expensive "back up" vac. After alot of research I ended up with a Miele which I am very happy with...it wasn't cheap but it has great suction, is quiet & lightweight..and I am also tough on vacuums ..

Old 04-28-2008, 11:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
Well till you folks convince me of a good upright vaccuum, I guess I will have to continue using my shop vac with the 2 1/2 " hose, not much it wont pick up! I have short comercial grade carpet, but would like a beater bar, and not neet earplugs to run the thing. Only need to empty it about every 3 months or so. No pets here and in a ranch so not doing stairs either, works great on the deck too!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 PM

323 posts, read 2,089,667 times
Dyson...well well worth the money!

I was skeptical of the price at first, but remember no filters and amazing suction. You won't regret it.
I believe it's come down to 379 now...check target.com

Old 06-08-2008, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,487 times
Vax are having a limited offer on their Vax rapide XL vacuum

[URL="http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/V027P_offer.php"]http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/V027P_offer.php[/URL]

and 25% off Vax spare parts

[URL="http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/vax-spares-parts-accessories"]http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/vax-spares-parts-accessories[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House