U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 AM

55 posts, read 117,610 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that although i probably wouldnt be considered a hardcore arachnaphobe, i am afraid of the little bastards... They make my skin crawl, and have been known to sometimes make me have minor panic attacks. Last night I woke up on my recliner to see one on the armrest, and my wife claimed i jumped straight up about 5 feet than ran screaming into the kitchen... ok maybe i AM deathly afraid of them, anyways:

We moved into this 2 bedroom duplex around 4 months ago, and until recently have been quite happy with the place. Its a fairly new building, kept up well and is 3 stories including the full basement. We didnt notice any spiders when we first moved in, and maybe during the first month we saw one here or there, but thats normal, i dont expect to live in a home that never has a single one.

However over the last month the amount has increased to what i deem abnormal. Any given night i can look up and find at least 2 or 3 in every single room hiding out where the top of the wall meets the ceiling, in the corner. I normally just reach up and smush em with a paper towel or suck them up with this little dustbuster i have.. actually i make my wife do it most of the time but thats besides the point.

They are small, probably the size of a nickel in diameter, and almost translucent brown. we live in Maine so they are obviously not poisonous, and im assuming they are either "house" spiders (is there such a thing?) or maybe wolf spiders? What could have caused the influx? were they always here and just didnt come out into view? One option could be that they are coming in through a gap in window or door, but i checked all of them. What im more concerned of is a nest or colony somewhere in the basement or other places.

So what are my options? i know there are bug bombs but do they work on spiders? i would glady take my wife and baby away for a weekend to do one of those, or should we call a professional? we might be moving in 6 months so i dont wanna spend hundreds on a professional exterminator if its unneccessary.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 AM

3,031 posts, read 1,777,841 times
I dont mind spiders...as long as they are on the outside. I have furry black spiders all around the outside but they keep the other bugs at bay. When they make it indoors they get eliminated. Then I saw the crab shaped creepys appearing inside and my skin crawled (no fiddleback). I got a gallon of ortho home defense with built on sprayer for $10.00 but still havent used it. If spring continues to bring a rise of indoor bug population I will certainly use it but make wife and baby leave for the day. Read the instructions.

Last edited by saltine; 04-25-2008 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-25-2008, 10:50 AM

11,763 posts, read 27,361,886 times
Spiders eat bugs. Eliminate the food and the numbers go down. Try to find any webs, especially where interior lights might be bringing bugs into the home. Verify that plants being brought in and out aren't a source of bugs and spiders. Vacuum crevices. spread some boric acid around and dust it into cracks with a broom or brush.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 PM

4,070 posts, read 13,378,855 times
Inside I just vacuum up any spiders and outside I use the hose to disrupt web building. Doing this drops the population very quickly.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,699,539 times
You are never going to eliminate them. Just part of Mother Natures plan.

Try to educate yourself and calm your fears. Maybe pat one or two, they are gentle lil creatures.

The real problem is in your head. Fix that and it will be better. Maybe get some type of fancy counciling, they got it for everything else.

Try not to pass your fears on to your kids.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 PM

10,845 posts, read 11,538,139 times
Hi Are you talking about daddy long legs? Those are probably whats in your corners near the ceilings. Not going to hurt you at all. Plus they keep the bugs away. Trust me, I hate spiders too. My brother and I are such pansies when it comes to them LOL

Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 6,854,330 times
Absolutely dread spiders or any insects for that matter.

We moved into our home this past Nov & I saw an increase of them about 2 weeks ago when the weather warmed up, especially at night. Grossed me out.

Bought Ortho Home Defense, which can be used inside & out. Sprayed it everywhere, but primarily where I saw the little nasty things most. Used the shop vac in all the crevices & unfinished parts of the basement to get out webs,etc.

They've definitely diminished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House