U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2008, 08:03 AM
 
237 posts, read 49,810 times
Reputation: 44
Default sun heat to dry clothes

hoa doesnt allow clothesline drying (most places dont). is it possible that will be changing soon in the area. i m looking (starting to) look at other ideas: heard of racks and so on. any ideas of whether that trend may change and people may be allowed by hoa's to dry their clothes in the hot weather we got here?

the reason i m asking this has to do with global warming. if it is not a pressing enough problem then the question is moot. i thought the general sense is that we are at the point in time (pollution wise) where we have to lay the esthetics of it aside and view from practical point only? i may be wrong and reason i m asking.

Last edited by nail in da coffin; 04-29-2008 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
21,707 posts, read 37,171,464 times
Reputation: 12839
Oh yeah nothing is finer when you have company over grilling in the backyard and looking over in your neigbhors yard seeing they have grannies panties and grandpas thong on the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 5,422,065 times
Reputation: 408
That would be OK if you lived in the country and didn't have neighbors...but most people would not want that to view clothes hanging in someone's back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,508 posts, read 5,122,062 times
Reputation: 3241
Does the HOA prohibit all outdoor drying or just clotheslines? If only clotheslines are prohibited then you can use a rack or umbrella type dryer. How about a clothesline in your garage with your garage door open? You won't get any sun but you will get circulating air.

I suggest neighbors who don't like the view keep their eyes in their own yards anyway. Ok, compromise...I won't hang up any underpants but you have to promise to not grill fish outside as I really can't stand the smell and your grilling smell always ends up on my property. I think HOA's should regulate nasal offenses as much as they do the visual ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 5,422,065 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Does the HOA prohibit all outdoor drying or just clotheslines? If only clotheslines are prohibited then you can use a rack or umbrella type dryer. How about a clothesline in your garage with your garage door open? You won't get any sun but you will get circulating air.

I suggest neighbors who don't like the view keep their eyes in their own yards anyway. Ok, compromise...I won't hang up any underpants but you have to promise to not grill fish outside as I really can't stand the smell and your grilling smell always ends up on my property. I think HOA's should regulate nasal offenses as much as they do the visual ones.
We don't have a back yard and grilling is NOT allowed in our building. You have to go down to the common area to grill out and the odor doesn't make it to the 5th floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Mile High City
10,155 posts, read 10,387,726 times
Reputation: 8714
NCYank where do you live or where are you moving to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,508 posts, read 5,122,062 times
Reputation: 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
NCYank where do you live or where are you moving to?
hehe...we are in a small subdivision in UC...no HOA, and I don't even have a clothes line here, and neither do any of the neighbors. I do hang some things in my laundry room and occasionally drape a floor rug or beach towel across the front porch banister to dry in the sun. If I had a back porch I would hang them in the back instead, but I only have a patio slab.

I grew up with clotheslines up north. We didn't have AC and no way would my mom run the dryer in the summer.
My dad has since moved 'in town' and he and all of his neighbors still use clothes lines.

With all the interest in saving energy I am somewhat surprised to hear how vigorously some people protest air drying. Most people won't do it anyway.


BTW...a clothes line must be less objectionable than a train horn, no??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Mile High City
10,155 posts, read 10,387,726 times
Reputation: 8714
Maybe but I could drink every night and pass out to not hear the train horn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,508 posts, read 5,122,062 times
Reputation: 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Maybe but I could drink every night and pass out to not hear the train horn
LOL...in that condition the clothesline shouldn't bother you either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
12,306 posts, read 11,593,986 times
Reputation: 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
hoa doesnt allow clothesline drying (most places dont). is it possible that will be changing soon in the area. i m looking (starting to) look at other ideas: heard of racks and so on. any ideas of whether that trend may change and people may be allowed by hoa's to dry their clothes in the hot weather we got here?

the reason i m asking this has to do with global warming. if it is not a pressing enough problem then the question is moot. i thought the general sense is that we are at the point in time (pollution wise) where we have to lay the esthetics of it aside and view from practical point only? i may be wrong and reason i m asking.
Have a tree with a low branch or two? If it's just the clothesline that's prohibied, get some plastic hangers at a dollar store & hang clothing on the hangers & hang those on a tree limb. Leave the under-clothes inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top