U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:19 AM

99 posts, read 255,581 times
Default House Insurance - HE7 vs. HO3

I am getting quotes from different places and some are offering an HE7 policy instead of a standard HO3. From the comparisons it looks like the HE7 does give you better coverage, but then why isn't everyone offering it . Just wondering if anyone had an HE7 policy and could give me a little insight on whether it is worth the extra $100 a year. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 04:28 PM

35,008 posts, read 41,176,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpeachee View Post
I am getting quotes from different places and some are offering an HE7 policy instead of a standard HO3. From the comparisons it looks like the HE7 does give you better coverage, but then why isn't everyone offering it . Just wondering if anyone had an HE7 policy and could give me a little insight on whether it is worth the extra $100 a year. Thanks!
I prefer H03 and then add riders, but you may want the HE7 w/ no deductible on replacement cost. There were just some things (coverage) I didn't need on the HE7 policy so for me, I prefer a more personalized approach. I overbuy insurance on my house. Not everyone wants to do it that way.

So I would suggest that unless you need that extra coverage on specific items, I would consider an H03 w/ some riders that cover exactly what you need. Like - if you don't need the $500 on refrigeration - that would be something I would never file for - so I didn't care if I had it or not.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:23 PM

444 posts, read 1,059,040 times
Quote:
I have an 7 and the reason it is more expensive is that it provides much broader coverage than the 3. Firemans Fund offers the 7 and you could check with my agent for other means to get a quote if you will pm me I will give you that information.

You have full replacement cost on the structure and on contents. The jewelry schedule is broaden to provide full coverage for unscheduled items up to a certain amount.

The Ho3 provides coverage for replacement cost on the contents however it pays based upon replacement cost less depreciation equals amount of check.
When you have replaced the item they will pay you the difference between the depreciated value and what it cost you to replace it.

There are many reasons to carry the 7. It has been many years since I worked in the business so it would be better for you to speak with a representative.

Definitely worth the difference in cost.

Hope I have been some help to you.,

Dunroven

Old 05-01-2008, 05:58 PM

35,008 posts, read 41,176,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
I have an 7 and the reason it is more expensive is that it provides much broader coverage than the 3. Firemans Fund offers the 7 and you could check with my agent for other means to get a quote if you will pm me I will give you that information.

You have full replacement cost on the structure and on contents. The jewelry schedule is broaden to provide full coverage for unscheduled items up to a certain amount.

The Ho3 provides coverage for replacement cost on the contents however it pays based upon replacement cost less depreciation equals amount of check.
When you have replaced the item they will pay you the difference between the depreciated value and what it cost you to replace it.

There are many reasons to carry the 7. It has been many years since I worked in the business so it would be better for you to speak with a representative.

Definitely worth the difference in cost.

Hope I have been some help to you.,

Dunroven
Well, you sure enlightened me, LOL! Thanks for the info - I learn something here every day, it seems!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:51 PM

444 posts, read 1,059,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, you sure enlightened me, LOL! Thanks for the info - I learn something here every day, it seems!!!

ME TOO ANI!

Dunroven

Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 PM

42,846 posts, read 52,297,933 times
Since this is a current insurance thread, let me use it and ask something. I've been considering getting rid of my land line for some time, but a few days ago read the insurance companies don't like that because of the potential 911 calls you can't make if you lose service on your cell. Well, if the power goes out, it's not like you can make a call unless you have a corded phone anyway... Does anybody have an idea if there's any truth to this? Plenty of people don't have land lines anymore... What does it even have to do with homeowners insurance?! I recall in the past there was even a warning that your credit score is gonna drop if you don't have a land line... Can't imagine this being true now even if it were before.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:00 PM

99 posts, read 255,581 times
Thanks for the replies. SierraAZ I hope that someone answers your question. I am very interested to see if it is true as we will not have a landline. No one asked me about that when I was getting quotes though.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
No one asked me about that when I was getting quotes though.
Nobody's ever asked me about this, either... Sounds weird. Perhaps it's just an urban legend.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:09 AM

20,802 posts, read 30,296,490 times
I have never heard of an insurance company having issue with no land line. First of all, usually if you are calling 911 it is for a fire or burglary. You shouldn't be making either of those calls from inside your own home anyway--not safe, so having a cell phone is a better protection in those cases anyway. Also, you can call 911 from your cell phone it just doesn't link to your county dispatch.

As for the policy type, some of that might have to do with your individual state. Each state has their own insurance laws. Also, most companies do offer some sort of expanded HO3 policy, they are HO5's in our area. Some houses don't qualify for an HO5 so that might be the case as well.

anifani821--In MN the refrigeration coverage is standard to the base HO3, you couldn't opt out even if you wanted. You don't see many individual claims for this but along with a natural disaster, say tornado, most people get paid out for that.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have never heard of an insurance company having issue with no land line. First of all, usually if you are calling 911 it is for a fire or burglary. You shouldn't be making either of those calls from inside your own home anyway--not safe, so having a cell phone is a better protection in those cases anyway. Also, you can call 911 from your cell phone it just doesn't link to your county dispatch.
Now I remember they were saying the reason for this was that they can trace the location if the call is make from a land line. Suppose they mean the rare case when your house gets on fire and you make a call but have to run before you manage to tell them the address. In any event, it's pretty odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House