U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 02:17 PM

2,393 posts, read 827,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Heat is heat is heat. It's not like comparing a gas grill vs. a charcoal one. Some people don't want to make the switch just because the option presented itself, some people are afraid they won't be able to smell a gas leak, etc.

Gas doesn't offer "more control" over your heat, the person cooking has more control with what they're most familiar.
There is a difference in control and heat output even between gas ranges.

For example(s), my ancient gas cooktop puts out more BTUs than my partner's modern gas range; the smooth top electric stove that was in my last kitchen put out less BTUs than the professional-style Thermodor gas range that I had at the house prior to that. The new trend of having burners of differing BTU output annoys the heck out of me (I don't need a simmer burner! Grrr.), which is why I've chosen to hold onto my old, but very functional 24" cooktop. As my renter noted when he first used the cooktop after moving in--"this is like using a work stove!" Heck, yeah, it is.

Sure, I can put out a solid meal using any cooking heat source--from a campfire to a professional range to my mom's old smooth top electric stove. I've used Sternos to cook a meal from time to time. But given my druthers, gas (and then induction) is my preference--largely due to the instant responsiveness of the burners.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 02:38 PM

11,308 posts, read 10,032,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's what I hate the most about my smooth top electric stove. Two of the burners are so large that I will almost never use them (one is so large it's really only useful for a big stock pot or similar). On a gas stove, that would be no big deal, I'd simply turn the flame down. But on an electric stove, the whole coil heats up. There's no way to make only the inner 1/3 of the burner get hot (as an example). Thus those two oversized burners are effectively useless to me.

My dual fuel rage (gas burners, electric stove) is the biggest thing I miss from my old house.
Not sure if you can swap burners. I have one really big burner, 3 medium and one small, so I have never encountered the need to do so.

Old 11-05-2020, 02:47 PM

2,280 posts, read 524,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post

For example(s), my ancient gas cooktop puts out more BTUs than my partner's modern gas range; the smooth top electric stove that was in my last kitchen put out less BTUs than the professional-style Thermodor gas range that I had at the house prior to that. The new trend of having burners of differing BTU output annoys the heck out of me (I don't need a simmer burner! Grrr.), which is why I've chosen to hold onto my old, but very functional 24" cooktop. As my renter noted when he first used the cooktop after moving in--"this is like using a work stove!" Heck, yeah, it is.

Sure, I can put out a solid meal using any cooking heat source--from a campfire to a professional range to my mom's old smooth top electric stove. I've used Sternos to cook a meal from time to time. But given my druthers, gas (and then induction) is my preference--largely due to the instant responsiveness of the burners.

I have noticed too, that modern ranges been "dumbed down", suppose for both "safety reasons" and its cheaper to manufacture. The old electric ranges you at least got one high BTU burner. Now you dont. And for some things you need a high BTU burner. Even consumer gas ranges dont have high output. You need to buy one of those "deep fry turkey pot" burners to get high heat output. Deep frying a turkey maybe not smartest, but the burner the pot sets on is useful.

The restaurant gas range tops are great but do cost a pretty penny.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:48 PM

6,272 posts, read 1,940,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post

I was surprised to find that the stainless cook tops (popular griddle style) in our local Hibachi restaurant were electric!

Old 11-05-2020, 07:33 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,524,553 times
We don’t have natural gas available where we live but several neighbors have propane for heat. We have never used gas. In fact when the power goes out, we cook on our wood stove or use the microwave in the camper. But, we do have a propane stove in our camper. Gas does heat up quickly and is easier to use controls, but there is no residual heat once it is off. I always worry that it will explode in my face but no issues after 8+ years.

I prefer electric over gas because of safety, residual heat and ease of cleaning on my ceramic stovetop.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 18,516,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Gas does provide more control, for the reason that it responds instantly, where an electric stove has a lag in response as the burners heat up or cool down.

If you turn your gas stove on to high, it provides high heat instantly. If you turn your electric stove onto high, it takes a minute or two to get to temperature.
Yes, the difference is in responsiveness. But the major issue for me was moving from high heat, as with browning, and low heat, as in braising or simmering. I solved the problem by using med. heat for everything except for bringing water to boil. But another method is to start a burner on high, and another on low. When you need low heat, move your cooking pan to the burner turned on low.

But neither electric nor gas can bring water to a boil faster than an induction burner on boost. And induction moves the heat under your pan instantly. It holds a slow simmer beautifully, as well.

If I had to make do with electric, I’d buy myself a portable induction burner. I’d do this if I had a gas stove I could not replace as well.

In fact, I wonder if kitchens of the future will not need cooktops or stoves. We have so many ovens, slow cookers, Instant Pots, steamers, air fryers, microwave ovens and such.

Old 11-06-2020, 03:04 PM

10,088 posts, read 6,187,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
In fact, I wonder if kitchens of the future will not need cooktops or stoves. We have so many ovens, slow cookers, Instant Pots, steamers, air fryers, microwave ovens and such.
Trading one very versatile appliance for six or seven small ones would doesn't appeal to me. I like my slow cooker and microwave well enough but if it came to that, I'd happily let them both go and keep the traditional stovetop over an oven.

Old 11-06-2020, 04:58 PM

11,308 posts, read 10,032,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Safer
Easier
Cleaner

There are disadvantages too
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes, the difference is in responsiveness. But the major issue for me was moving from high heat, as with browning, and low heat, as in braising or simmering. I solved the problem by using med. heat for everything except for bringing water to boil. But another method is to start a burner on high, and another on low. When you need low heat, move your cooking pan to the burner turned on low.
Sure, solves the problem, but at a minor safety risk by having a burner on low until you need it, presumably with no pot on top. Removing that visual reminder that it is hot adds a minor additional risk of getting burned. Plus, you need to have an extra burner around, which is ok most of the time, but if cooking elaborate meals, or for many people such as Thanksgiving, it may not be as convenient.

Quote:
But neither electric nor gas can bring water to a boil faster than an induction burner on boost. And induction moves the heat under your pan instantly. It holds a slow simmer beautifully, as well.
Ok. I have never used induction, so I will take your word for it. I really haven't worried about how long it takes to boil water though, it is only a few minutes.

Quote:
If I had to make do with electric, I’d buy myself a portable induction burner. I’d do this if I had a gas stove I could not replace as well.

My idea of hell. I am not a fan of specialty devices for the most part. I like to keep things simple with a good chef's knife, some decent cast iron, my gas cook top and my convection ovens. I do not own air fryers, steamers, rice cookers, instant pot, crock pot, pressure cookers or anything of that nature. I can do all that those things do quite nicely with basic, functional kitchen appliances and proper technique.

Old 11-06-2020, 05:27 PM

2,393 posts, read 827,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Sure, solves the problem, but at a minor safety risk by having a burner on low until you need it, presumably with no pot on top. Removing that visual reminder that it is hot adds a minor additional risk of getting burned. Plus, you need to have an extra burner around, which is ok most of the time, but if cooking elaborate meals, or for many people such as Thanksgiving, it may not be as convenient.

Ok. I have never used induction, so I will take your word for it. I really haven't worried about how long it takes to boil water though, it is only a few minutes.

My idea of hell. I am not a fan of specialty devices for the most part. I like to keep things simple with a good chef's knife, some decent cast iron, my gas cook top and my convection ovens. I do not own air fryers, steamers, rice cookers, instant pot, crock pot, pressure cookers or anything of that nature. I can do all that those things do quite nicely with basic, functional kitchen appliances and proper technique.
I have to admit while I agree with you regarding basic kitchen appliance and sticking to the tried and true basics, I do love my Crock Pot (for overnight stocks and apple butter, mostly) and my 1960s stovetop pressure cooker (for beans and quick, tasty meals).

I've used an induction burner on many occasions and like them, but not well enough to have one in my house. The eventual replacement for my 24" wall oven will most likely be electric, but I'll be keeping a gas cooktop. Best of both worlds!

Old 11-07-2020, 02:04 AM

2,094 posts, read 839,151 times
My preference is a gas range and an electric oven. Actually two ovens. I don't know how people get by with just one.
I also like using cast iron pans.
I would like to try one of those Aga cookers. We looked at one once. It was putting out a lot of heat. Might be nice on a cold day, but in competition with the air conditioner in the summer. Apparently they are never turned off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House