Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 06:20 PM

7,993 posts, read 10,341,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
$40K is likely more realistic.

Take your measurements down to Lowes and ask a bid for cabinets, countertops, floors, and appliances. That should give you a place to start.

Then start asking around for contractors that people recommend. Get their bids.

We've remodeled two kitchens over the years and love them both. Well worth the money.

Good luck.
The big box stores are the last place to go. Definitely NOT the cheapest (or best).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 07:29 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,290,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Yes, I know, how long is a piece of string.

There is a house I'm looking at. The kitchen badly needs renovation (the cabinets are already disintegrating).

The kitchen is not a big space. It's effectively a galley kitchen that was opened up to the adjoining dining room by the current owner, but retains the galley layout. Let's say there's 14 feet on one side, including the fridge, sink, dishwasher and stove, with upper and lower cabinets, and an 8 feet island between it and the dining room. There is also a separate small pantry (shallow closet, really).

What would be a decent ballpark figure for renovating the entire kitchen space, including new flooring (but not the dining room, which is fine). Consider using Bosch quality appliances and midrange cabinets and quartz countertops. Appliances would remain in the same place as the existing appliances.

The one other thing I'd like to do is to demolish the pantry/closet and replace it with floor to ceiling cabinets. This would add an extra 3 inches to the little corridor it faces, and makes all the difference in being able to punch through a doorway into the front hall on the other side of that space, giving the kitchen a direct access to the front of the house and front door rather than having to go via the dining and living rooms.

Can this be done for 20k? Or are you doubling over, laughing?
We redid our kitchen with new cabinets recently that hubby hung and he did the plumbing work for the undermount sink himself. 10grand for the cabinets alone. The granite countertop was another 6k but we had that professionally installed and it was on sale. Thankfully, our kids are electricians so they added undercab lighting and extra outlets.... so yeah, I think you're going to spend more than 20k on your new kitchen. Our appliances were only two years old so we didn't get new ones.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:46 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,210,834 times
Not including the cost of appliances, that's probably close depending on location.
You don't mention lighting/electrical and there's a vent hood to consider.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:49 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,210,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
The big box stores are the last place to go. Definitely NOT the cheapest (or best).
I have to say I just bought a house in this small, remote desert town. The kitchen had been remodeled using a local cabinet maker/company. They also did the bathroom cabinets. I love them so much.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,184,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There is nothing high end at Lowes. And, there's no way you got a kitchen full of high end appliances for $7k. A high end refrigerator costs $11,000+. A kitchen with Wolf/Sub Zero or Viking, etc appliances will have a budget of $30k+ just for the appliances.
I'm sorry, but spending 11 large for a fridge is just plain nuts.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:11 PM

15,161 posts, read 7,201,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I'm sorry, but spending 11 large for a fridge is just plain nuts.
There are some things the wife wants and will stand for no discussion. She paid for it with part of an inheritance, so I can't complain. It's a really nice fridge, a Sub Zero side by side.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:59 PM

17,676 posts, read 29,593,959 times
Default Sub-Zero, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There are some things the wife wants and will stand for no discussion. It's a really nice fridge, a Sub Zero side by side.
24 + 3 years experience with 2 Sub-Zero frigos.
Worth every dollar.
Highly recommended.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:30 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,432,187 times
One came with my house but not a fan... except visitors do comment favorably on it so I gained bragging rights.

Mom's Amana is 40 years old and we like it... well built and reliable... Grandma's Philco is in the garage and it's 65 years old... and so quiet you don't know it's running...

Of the 3 it's the Subzero that is the loudest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House